News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 GT350 fuel sender wire insulation.

Started by mygt350, August 26, 2023, 02:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygt350

65 GT350 fuel sender wire insulation. Can someone post picture of fuel sender wire under the trunk area. Want to see what type insulation was on original sender wire. And if possible, picture of same yellow wire under the mat in trunk.
Thanks!
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

J_Speegle

Wire insulator/outer jacket would not have been visible since it would be covered by the outer insulator jacket. Here are some pictures

At sender

Outer insulator jacket up close

How the wire, as it runs under the mat, was attached to the car depended on when the car was built and possibly also the shift/individual worker. Car could have used tape, the clips attached to the gas tank edge or even have both when the worker choose not to use the clips during that production period

And across the forward part of the trunk

Period with both clip though they used the tape to secure the wire. This example had the clips but the worker choose to tape the wires

Tape and no tape on these two examples

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mygt350

Thanks very much Jeff. Any way to determine which method (clip/tape/both) would be appropriatew for 5S228? Does the sender wire have a barrel connector close to the hinge area?

mygt350

Interesting looks like the clips face different directions..

J_Speegle

Quote from: mygt350 on August 26, 2023, 09:15:32 PM
Thanks very much Jeff. Any way to determine which method (clip/tape/both) would be appropriate for 5S228? Does the sender wire have a barrel connector close to the hinge area?

Your Shelby number means little in determining San Jose details. I'll PM you and we'll work something out.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mygt350

sent you a PM with sway bar date code info.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mygt350 on August 27, 2023, 11:40:46 AM
Must be a typo given that there is no date codes on the sway bar or related hardware.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mygt350

The sway bar has a large rubber grommit held in place by a clamp that has two nuts and bolts that hold the clamp and bushings in place to the sway bar mounting bracket that is welded to the frame. The date code is stampedf on the top side of the bracket between the two bolt heads holding the clampo inplace. Mine is 4 12 2D...

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 27, 2023, 01:04:32 PM
Must be a typo given that there is no date codes on the sway bar or related hardware.

Yes We're talking about the sway bar bracket welded to the inside of the frame and to the strut rod support bracket

mygt350

Thats the one. Mine is 4 12 2D. Assuming 12 Apr?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 27, 2023, 02:47:04 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on August 27, 2023, 01:04:32 PM

Yes We're talking about the sway bar bracket welded to the inside of the frame and to the strut rod support bracket

Thank you for the clarification because I couldn't read between the lines.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

texas swede

My car, having a higher Shelby number, 275 to 228, than yours, still have a lower Ford number.
My brackets are dated 4 23 2D on passenger side and 4 26 2D on driver side.
There used to be a guy here in the Dallas, TX area who rebuilt (recovered) the wire harness,
to the rear lights including the fuel sending unit with the correct material. Believe his name was
Pat White III. He did an excellent job on my car. Sadly, I believe he is gone since many years.
Texas Swede

mygt350

Thanks my friend. Do you remember how the wire and its shielding was secured to the trunk floor? Maybe strip of tape or two or maybe clips mounted to the tank flange screws?
Martin, 5S228

CharlesTurner

The asphalt wire covering can be purchased online.  It's not very difficult to replace.  The contact wire inside the light socket can be snipped off and the wire pulled out of the assembly.  New covering slid on and a new contact end crimped on.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

mygt350

Charles, you memtioned "inside the light socket". I have a sending unit wire cover and am scratching head as to how it is installed without snipping the wire at some location. Where is optimum spot to cut the wire and feed the covering over it and reconnect the press on sender unit fitting?
Sending unit wirecover I  have is from Virginia Classic Mustang (their P/N PE-219) is approx 5 feet long and has a 1/2 inch long double ended butt end connector. Apparently, the covering is installed after cutting the sender wire then using the connector to reattch the two ends. Where would be best place to cut the wire? Has me scratching whats left of hair..
Martin