News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1966 intake manifold gaskets

Started by Karguy, August 27, 2023, 09:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

I'm about ready to assemble the engine for 6S281. My question concerns intake manifold gaskets. I have the attached list that came from Jeff Spiegel which has been very handy. They are described in Jeff's list as "white/off white, may have top and bottom markings". Has anyone found a particular intake gasket that would be the white/off-white? Are there any NOS assembly line intake gaskets available out there? Thoughts?
Thanks very much
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Karguy on August 27, 2023, 09:56:55 AM
I'm about ready to assemble the engine for 6S281. My question concerns intake manifold gaskets. I have the attached list that came from Jeff Spiegel which has been very handy. They are described in Jeff's list as "white/off white, may have top and bottom markings". Has anyone found a particular intake gasket that would be the white/off-white? Are there any NOS assembly line intake gaskets available out there? Thoughts?
Thanks very much
Most people paint the fuel pump and intake gaskets before installation to get the desired effect. That is the most economical alternative. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

As a reminder if your going to use paint pick a flat one not a glossy :) When I had to I have used white header paint in the past
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

kram350

If you do find original intake gaskets, beware. The originals I found were very nice but hard as a rock, so they leaked water into the intake runners. I was pretty meticulous on assembly and torqued to the aluminum intake spec, which I think is 16lbs +/- as I recall.   Re-torqued the intake to 22 lbs and they sealed up just fine.  Never had an issue with Mr. Gaskets or FelPro which are very compliant compared to the originals when torqued to the 16lbs.  Make sure your intake and head surfaces are a good match. 

J_Speegle

Quote from: kram350 on August 27, 2023, 08:54:57 PM
If you do find original intake gaskets, beware. The originals I found were very nice but hard as a rock, so they leaked water into the intake runners. I was pretty meticulous on assembly and torqued to the aluminum intake spec, which I think is 16lbs +/- as I recall.   Re-torqued the intake to 22 lbs and they sealed up just fine.  Never had an issue with Mr. Gaskets or FelPro which are very compliant compared to the originals when torqued to the 16lbs.  Make sure your intake and head surfaces are a good match.

Shame that they didn't work for you after finding them and trying. Everyone tends to report the hard "dried out" gasket. Last two sets I used didn't cause any issues but maybe just lucky
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 27, 2023, 09:38:59 PM
Quote from: kram350 on August 27, 2023, 08:54:57 PM

Shame that they didn't work for you after finding them and trying. Everyone tends to report the hard "dried out" gasket. Last two sets I used didn't cause any issues but maybe just lucky
Same here. Hard and brittle but I was careful and they worked. The painted new gaskets are for those that want a close look (typically the wrong white color gives them away)  but don't need the knowledge of a original part or the anxiety of using a old part. .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kram350

I guess I did luck out though, but it took 22lbs to stop the leak. The ones I used came in a Ford package marked C3AZ-9433-D. White with red RM stamps and square hatching, small 1/2 moon cut out above the exhaust passage. Greenish/white specked pattern on other side.  Looked like the same material used fuel pump to timing cover. Maybe not the correct ones?

J_Speegle

You'll find NOS and service replacements provided/made with similar but different colored markings. May have identified different batches, make up or production periods  Don't recall a green specked side on any but maybe wasn't looking close enough

Have not seen the exact something for the fuel pump gaskets. Doesn't seem to be the same amount of variety as in the intake gaskets