News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

radiator core support seal

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, August 31, 2023, 09:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

on a 69 GT500, how many staples are used to attach the seal, and where are they located (picture please).  Also, on the original seals, I have been told that there were some notches cut out to overlay the bolts on the seal. Could I get a picture of these too.  thank you.

J_Speegle

Have never seen an original that had holes cut through it for any bolt holes on a Shelby. Not really any "bolts" in the area where these could contact

Maybe someone was confusing the possibility (some plants and years) where they might have cut holes for the Mach I hood pins. Have a fair number of pictures from unrestored examples

Here are just a few pictures from a prior posting on CMF which focused on the two methods Dearborn used that year to secure them

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

And no set number of staples. I've seen 5-11

J_Speegle

Nor clips if that was the method used during the period your or someones car was built. Just what ever the worker choose
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67350#1242

If you are restoring a car there should be evidence of the staple holes on the radiator support.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67350#1242 on August 31, 2023, 07:22:24 PM
If you are restoring a car there should be evidence of the staple holes on the radiator support.

For 69's there are many examples where the stapler was not used (likely broken during that shift or more) but instead the repurposed electrical clips were used instead as shown above. Other plants and years had different details and practices

shelbymann1970

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on August 31, 2023, 09:45:26 AM
on a 69 GT500, how many staples are used to attach the seal, and where are they located (picture please).  Also, on the original seals, I have been told that there were some notches cut out to overlay the bolts on the seal. Could I get a picture of these too.  thank you.
If you still need some pics let me know. My car uses it's original core support and staple holes(I replaced the staples during resto). If you have no holes it'd suggest the clips that have been mentioned. Lots of good answers on this already.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)