News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Should "The Lounge" be killed off?

Started by deathsled, September 05, 2023, 02:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I haven't deleted any comments. In reality I wouldn't know where to begin such an exercise and regardless have no inclination to delete anyone's commentary nor have I ever tried. I thought that was the purview of the moderators.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

trotrof1

I agree, retain it but with some guidelines.

427heaven

Leave it/Him alone... This is an ever shrinking pool of enthusiasts that still thinks their opinion is the only one that matters. Everyone should be able to share/contribute their stories and have a place to do so. We used to Build, Race, Drive, Show our cars and enjoy the day/events. Today that enthusiasm has waned, most people are too old and lazy to do anything with their cars, they have become keyboard jockey's and try to control their little world in what other should be doing. Stop complaining and get back to changing your oil, burning rubber, driving fast and have some general positivity/fun. That is why these cars were built in the first place, not to have some old senile men complain about their lives as well as other enthusiasts lives. Get on with it and enjoy your cars and friends while you still can!

67 GT350

Quote from: deathsled on September 05, 2023, 09:38:41 PM
I haven't deleted any comments. In reality I wouldn't know where to begin such an exercise and regardless have no inclination to delete anyone's commentary nor have I ever tried. I thought that was the purview of the moderators.

You can delete comments? I thought you could only delete your own?
RARE  Signature Delete

Lincoln tech

The lounge is not a problem , it's people posting useless crap on it maybe only to increase their post numbers ???

deathsled

I practice avoidance on things I deem irrelevant or useless to the smooth operation of my life. But my intellectual curiosity often gets the best of me and I learn something by taking a look.

deathsled

As a further observation, no one has chimed in to get rid of the lounge as odious as off topic conversation may be to some. One can only talk about the coatings on nuts and bolts in other forum categories for so long. It is a finite subject. Though I do covet the knowledge of the experts on this site and continue to receive an education on Shelbys and more specifically details about my car.

crossboss

Quote from: Lincoln tech on September 06, 2023, 11:06:51 AM
The lounge is not a problem , it's people posting useless crap on it maybe only to increase their post numbers ???

+2. Amen, brother.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

HERTZ II

Quote from: crossboss on September 06, 2023, 04:23:50 PM
Quote from: Lincoln tech on September 06, 2023, 11:06:51 AM

+2. Amen, brother.

+3, double Amen and I'll even throw in a Hallelujah. That's a spot on observation of all that's wrong with the current Lounge.

Side-Oilers

I agree with everything said above.

Plus, I echo Richard's comment:  "One can only talk about the coatings on nuts and bolts in other forum categories for so long. It is a finite subject."

My perspective, in addition to what I posted in this thread, and in earlier months/years is: 

We ALL are Shelby enthusiasts, right? 

We all love the cars, the history, the finding, buying, restoring, racing, cruising, working-on, and/or just looking at them...right?

We also like photos and history of SAI, and stories & pix about the colorful life of CS himself...right?

Don't many of us come on here every day to catch up with the latest Shelby/Ford stuff?

And to chat with fellow Shelby/Ford lovers?  (99% of whom are probably nice and helpful people in "real life.") 

So, why not approach every post/reply with that perspective? A little more respect mixed with the opinions. More tolerance with enthusiastic newbies (excepting the inevitable trolls, clowns, braggarts and scammers, of course.)

Would some of us really be so hard-azzed and confrontative and (sometimes) mean-spirited in person? Probably not. Unless you're an azz-hole in real life. 

With that...I restate my vote to keep the Lounge, but with refreshed rules (and better moderator oversight) on decorum.   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

I think that this forum needs to seriously re-invent itself.

I don't know exactly how but I think that it is very apparent to everyone that needs to be done.

One thing that was mentioned by me was an on line Registry of some form that could be included as part of this forum. The Cobras have already had that for some time on their own.

A printed version as the sole source was good in it's day but likely has passed it's time and just has limited usage other then decorating your bookshelf well.

It isn't about obsoleting anything, it is about breathing new life into an old subject. It occurs to me that there may be a limited window of opportunity for that, if not now, certainly eventually if not sooner?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

greekz

I am with you guys.  I do not post on the Lounge, but feel it is a valuable posting option to have.  I look at the Lounge like my firearms, do not often use them, but glad I have them if needed.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Krelboyne

I blocked Tony's Lounge, a long time ago, from showing up in my "latest posts". It can be done in your settings.

Only visit the lounge once every blue moon and find the posts started by other members.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

Lincoln tech

Quote from: Krelboyne on September 07, 2023, 09:33:36 AM
I blocked Tony's Lounge, a long time ago, from showing up in my "latest posts". It can be done in your settings.

Only visit the lounge once every blue moon and find the posts started by other members.
Soooo , it looks like the lounge is not the problem but certain poster from sunny Florida is   :o  :-\

crossboss

Quote from: Lincoln tech on September 07, 2023, 10:06:08 AM
Quote from: Krelboyne on September 07, 2023, 09:33:36 AM

Soooo , it looks like the lounge is not the problem but certain poster from sunny Florida is   :o  :-\

+4.
Yes. I have been saying for a while Tony aka FLSAAC IS the 'problem'.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30