News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Checkerd flag: Tivvy Shenton

Started by gt350shelb, September 05, 2023, 09:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

As we prepare for another weekend of racing at Lime Rock, we've been met with some shocking and heartbreaking news: the vintage racing community has suffered the loss of Tivvy Shenton. A close friend of ours who lead a remarkable life including an apprenticeship at Rolls Royce, important roles at Alan Mann Racing and Broadspeed, and a move to the United States in the 1970s to found his own shop. Tivvy has been a central figure in vintage racing since our shop opened its doors, and we were lucky enough to ride along with him as he chucked his famous white Jaguar XK140 around the track. His distinctive sideways driving style was what I aspired to emulate in the Cortina, knowing full well it was a futile effort.
We miss Tivvy greatly, and will do our best to keep his memory alive through our own wrenching and sideways antics on the track!
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

deathsled

RIP to him. And more knowledge leaves this Earth. Not good.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

gt350shelb

I had the chance to sit down with Tivvy before the Pvgp one year . and talk about  racing  / and working in alan manns shop back in the day. the rally mustangs and the econoline  chase vehicles they had removed the 200 cid  engines from and swapped in the new thunder bird engines they had  so they could keep up when loaded with tools .

He also told the story of building the chitty chitty bang bang cars their were 2.     

The small circle of the car world   i had also met him 35 years earlier   he told me about being at rolls royce apprenticeship   for interior trimming .  ( we were restoring a xk 140 and he was showing me how the leather work was done )

great guy who will be missed on many levels .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

deathsled

You could write a small memoire about him, piece together as much as you can and commit it to writing if but for your own reference years down the road.  I did the same for a best friend I lost in 2019 so I could remember down the road.  Time can fade memory if events are not memorialized.  Just a thought.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Our sincerest condolences to you and the family
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert