News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1970 Shelby GT500 Cobra Center Caps for rims

Started by Greg, September 06, 2023, 01:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Hello, looks like one of my wheels decided to part ways with a center cap.  Does anyone have one they would like to sell.  My email is gscommunications.greg@aol.com

Thanks!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Greg on September 06, 2023, 01:29:55 PM
Hello, looks like one of my wheels decided to part ways with a center cap.  Does anyone have one they would like to sell.  My email is gscommunications.greg@aol.com

Thanks!
Just so you are aware and if looking for new the repro caps are typically identical to original once installed. Both NOS and repro's are still available . Of course the NOS will typically command a higher price then the repros. There are minor differences on the back sides between the assemblyline type , later service replacements and reproduction. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Greg

Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 06, 2023, 02:40:15 PM

Thanks!
Just so you are aware and if looking for new the repro caps are typically identical to original once installed. Both NOS and repro's are still available . Of course the NOS will typically command a higher price then the repros. There are minor differences on the back sides between the assemblyline type , later service replacements and reproduction.
Bob, I'm under the impression the center Cobras are different. I actually pulled out 2 complete original sets off of 2 70s and the snakes are different as in the color. Noticeable also. Some day I am going to combine a new plastic outer with the original centers. Mark Wilson and I compared his NOS ones to my original ones a couple of months ago. So does the color of the Cobra on repo caps now match the originals?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

SCJSTU

fyi, you may have to use clear silicone on backside to keep them from rattling or falling off as new caps, repo rims make for a loose cap
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

shelbymann1970

Quote from: SCJSTU on September 07, 2023, 02:59:49 PM
fyi, you may have to use clear silicone on backside to keep them from rattling or falling off as new caps, repo rims make for a loose cap
painters tape works wonders.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 07, 2023, 02:43:43 PM

Thanks!
Bob, I'm under the impression the center Cobras are different. I actually pulled out 2 complete original sets off of 2 70s and the snakes are different as in the color. Noticeable also. Some day I am going to combine a new plastic outer with the original centers. Mark Wilson and I compared his NOS ones to my original ones a couple of months ago. So does the color of the Cobra on repo caps now match the originals?
Gary , it could depend on the supplier of the repro I suppose. The repro ones I compared to that were sourced from Branda a few years back were identical on the front side . There was a difference of glue color on the back side. A good suggestion on putting a dab of silicone on two sides of the cap from the backside to lock it in place so to help prevent loss or rattle.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on September 07, 2023, 10:11:20 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 07, 2023, 02:43:43 PM

Thanks!
Gary , it could depend on the supplier of the repro I suppose. The repro ones I compared to that were sourced from Branda a few years back were identical on the front side . There was a difference of glue color on the back side. A good suggestion on putting a dab of silicone on two sides of the cap from the backside to lock it in place so to help prevent loss or rattle.
Its good that the repos have the correct gold color snakes on them. I have many center caps and no repo ones. Like I said I compared my assy line caps to service caps and the snakes were a "darker" gold so to speak.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Rosco

I've got one with 3 dabs of green silicone on the back, is that an original?

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Rosco on September 08, 2023, 10:36:58 AM
I've got one with 3 dabs of green silicone on the back, is that an original?
I'll post pics of originals VS service later.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Dennis Y

I'll have to look for the info but one of the things you can do to prevent loosing the caps is to use an internal snap ring on the back side of the cap once it is installed. I'll look for the proper size that was referenced.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Dennis Y on October 06, 2023, 01:48:01 PM
I'll have to look for the info but one of the things you can do to prevent loosing the caps is to use an internal snap ring on the back side of the cap once it is installed. I'll look for the proper size that was referenced.
Thanks Dennis. I think I'll do that. Let me know the size.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Dennis Y

Hey Gary, We're on vacation on the Outer Banks so I had plenty of time to look for the article I saw. I was going to try it on the caps on my Fairlane but never got around to it before I sold it. Just did the ole off & on deal when I got to the shows or cruises.
https://www.boss302.com/caplock.php

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Dennis Y on October 08, 2023, 08:31:22 AM
Hey Gary, We're on vacation on the Outer Banks so I had plenty of time to look for the article I saw. I was going to try it on the caps on my Fairlane but never got around to it before I sold it. Just did the ole off & on deal when I got to the shows or cruises.
https://www.boss302.com/caplock.php
I never saw this on the B2 site. Thanks!
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990