News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Farley - facing the music.......

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, September 07, 2023, 02:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 09, 2023, 11:58:33 PM
Quote from: TOBKOB on September 08, 2023, 09:56:00 PM
QuoteAnd the UAW is asking for a 46% pay raise and a 32 hour work week but get paid for 40 hours. They should tell the UAW they're all fired and shut the company down and see how they like that

I think that would probably price the cars and trucks out of reach for most folks...Then what would they do? Super Duty trucks already are 90 to over 100 grand... :(

So is the Lightning. They'll settle for 20-25% over 5 years so it's really only 4-5% a year - far less than what Joey Diapers is doing to the cost of things. Cutting the work week by 25% will not fly. Can you imaging the expense that they would incur trying to hire and train enough to fill the staff. Ford and GM both raised prices when they saw what dealers were making on cars during the pandemic shortage. Now the UAW wants their cut too. People just write off the higher price since it's something they only buy every 3-5 years. I've seen ads for 8 year loans on new cars so people are lulled by the monthly payment not the total cost. Ford and GM credit are even happy to roll over your loss when you trade in the car you were upside down on when it came time to sell. Banks are smarter than that.
PS - it's hard to get union workers to fathom that a 6% raise when inflation is 9% is a 3% loss while a 4% raise when inflation is 2-3% is a 1-2% win. Not a lot of deep thinkers there.

I should know better then to get involved in one of these management v. workers debates. It's a no win situation.

The only or hopefully last thought of mine on the subject is, I think that the corporate side has been preparing for an expected cost in labor with their gradual price increases over the years. I may not like their decisions but they are not stupid and making money for the corp is what they are paid to do.

To me, how exactly anyone can justify the price of a $100,000, or there abouts cost of a pickup truck is beyond me? It's just a debate that I should stay away from?

The riff between management and labor has always been there and no matter who wins it in the end, the result is the same, I get crushed.

I feel like I should be Bob Dylan at this point singing, "It ain't me 'Babe, it ain't me you're looking for!". 'Nough said by me. Good luck on either side justifying absolutely anything. That just isn't going to happen.

I'll go back in the garage now with no Internet connection...until I can't stand that anymore too I suppose?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 10, 2023, 07:37:53 AM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 09, 2023, 11:58:33 PM
Quote from: TOBKOB on September 08, 2023, 09:56:00 PM
QuoteAnd the UAW is asking for a 46% pay raise and a 32 hour work week but get paid for 40 hours. They should tell the UAW they're all fired and shut the company down and see how they like that

I think that would probably price the cars and trucks out of reach for most folks...Then what would they do? Super Duty trucks already are 90 to over 100 grand... :(

So is the Lightning. They'll settle for 20-25% over 5 years so it's really only 4-5% a year - far less than what Joey Diapers is doing to the cost of things. Cutting the work week by 25% will not fly. Can you imaging the expense that they would incur trying to hire and train enough to fill the staff. Ford and GM both raised prices when they saw what dealers were making on cars during the pandemic shortage. Now the UAW wants their cut too. People just write off the higher price since it's something they only buy every 3-5 years. I've seen ads for 8 year loans on new cars so people are lulled by the monthly payment not the total cost. Ford and GM credit are even happy to roll over your loss when you trade in the car you were upside down on when it came time to sell. Banks are smarter than that.
PS - it's hard to get union workers to fathom that a 6% raise when inflation is 9% is a 3% loss while a 4% raise when inflation is 2-3% is a 1-2% win. Not a lot of deep thinkers there.

I should know better then to get involved in one of these management v. workers debates. It's a no win situation.

The only or hopefully last thought of mine on the subject is, I think that the corporate side has been preparing for an expected cost in labor with their gradual price increases over the years. I may not like their decisions but they are not stupid and making money for the corp is what they are paid to do.

To me, how exactly anyone can justify the price of a $100,000, or there abouts cost of a pickup truck is beyond me? It's just a debate that I should stay away from?

The riff between management and labor has always been there and no matter who wins it in the end, the result is the same, I get crushed.

I feel like I should be Bob Dylan at this point singing, "It ain't me 'Babe, it ain't me you're looking for!". 'Nough said by me. Good luck on either side justifying absolutely anything. That just isn't going to happen.

I'll go back in the garage now with no Internet connection...until I can't stand that anymore too I suppose?  :o

+ 1
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert