News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Farley - facing the music.......

Started by 98SVT - was 06GT, September 07, 2023, 02:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

With Lightning sales in the toilet and other EVs circling the drain Farley admits too much too soon. There are rumors that the big EV push is being pared back and plant shutdowns due to a glut of unsold EVs are in the works.

"You're going to see a lot more hybrid systems from us," CEO Jim Farley said Thursday after the company reported second-quarter earnings that revealed widening losses on its electric vehicles unit.

The comments run slightly counter to recent messaging from the Detroit automakers, which have touted the performance and popularity of all-electric favorites as the industry moves to meet EV targets. The hybrid hype, however, falls more closely in line with global hybrid leader Toyota
, which has faced criticism for what some saw as resistance to the EV transition.

To be clear, Ford isn't turning away from its much-touted EV push, though it said Thursday that its EV ramp-up may take longer than it had previously anticipated.

But even as it spends billions to ramp up EV production, it's planning to bring more hybrid options to market, driven by the success of its current gasoline-electric options.

"We have been surprised, frankly, at the popularity of hybrid systems for F-150," Farley said during Ford's second-quarter earnings call. More than 10% of F-150 pickup customers are opting for the hybrid model, Farley said, and that percentage has been increasing.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC on September 07, 2023, 04:14:45 PM
He's got a tough job

He is exceptionally well paid for it. Let's see how he settles with UAW? Top pay there is $32 an hour.

I think he gets a little more then that?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

we have 40 lightning trucks  being delivered /  and at least 10 mach e  have gone thru  the dealer  this month .

they may not work for everyone but  have not seen any traded back in .

the mach e is reasonable performer  / 300 miles per charge will get most people back and forth to work for a week around here. if you can charge it for free at work it makes sense .

are you going  to take it on vacation for a 12  hr drive  no.

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 07, 2023, 05:34:06 PM
He's got a tough job

He is exceptionally well paid for it. Let's see how he settles with UAW? Top pay there is $32 an hour.

Plus benefits....lucky guy !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on September 07, 2023, 06:51:50 PM
He's got a tough job

and a contractural wavier that he can race.

Plus benefits....lucky guy !

67 GT350

Just think, he could bring back the 05 06 FGT and it would be all better.....
RARE  Signature Delete

A-Snake

Quote from: gt350shelb on September 07, 2023, 06:44:09 PM
we have 40 lightning trucks  being delivered /  and at least 10 mach e  have gone thru  the dealer  this month .

they may not work for everyone but  have not seen any traded back in .

the mach e is reasonable performer  / 300 miles per charge will get most people back and forth to work for a week around here. if you can charge it for free at work it makes sense .

are you going  to take it on vacation for a 12  hr drive  no.

Has your dealership sold a good number of Powerboost F150's?

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 67 GT350 on September 07, 2023, 10:50:54 PM
Just think, he could bring back the 05 06 FGT and it would be all better.....
Only if Musk delivers on the Roadster. Farley would see the GT as an alternative and release an EV version.

Their pitch that F150 hybrid demand is up 10% is BS. He should just say we've built 10% more. The dealers have very little say as to what arrives on their doorstep and it's up to them to get them off the lot. Dealer contracts are set up that they agree to buy X amount of each model. That model mix is up to Ford. They tell you you're getting 30 F150s this month and, for example - 2 will be a Lightnings, 5 will be Hybrids, 2 will be STX, 4 XL, 10 XLT, 5 Lariat, 2 Platinum - have the check ready.

Now does a 10% increase mean when sales are still down over 40%? 
Ford F-150 Hybrid sales totaled 14,186 units in Q3 of 2021, but just 8,379 in Q3 of 2022 – a substantial decrease of 41 percent.
And yes there is a smaller number of Lightenings on the lots - but that is due to the fact Ford shut down production for 6 weeks to retool the body measuring section -  you know a new equp install that they would do overnight or at the annual shut down on a well selling model.

TA Coupe

He's got a tough job

And the UAW is asking for a 46% pay raise and a 32 hour work week but get paid for 40 hours. They should tell the UAW they're all fired and shut the company down and see how they like that. Start buying foreign cars and Teslas. The raise they are asking for is more than I got in 36.5 years of working.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

shelbydoug

Quote from: TA Coupe on September 08, 2023, 05:33:21 PM
He's got a tough job

And the UAW is asking for a 46% pay raise and a 32 hour work week but get paid for 40 hours. They should tell the UAW they're all fired and shut the company down and see how they like that. Start buying foreign cars and Teslas. The raise they are asking for is more than I got in 36.5 years of working.

Roy

If you want to support the "Billionaire Class", that is entirely up to you. I'm not "their boy", and I don't "clean up their crap". Screw them. I know who butters my bread and it is not those pricks.

It is true that it was the "Deuce's money", but he didn't drive the cars. The Teams wouldn't let him. He would have crapped all over the seat.

You want to kiss their ass, be my guest.  Pucker up.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: TA Coupe on September 08, 2023, 05:33:21 PM......They should tell the UAW they're all fired and shut the company down and see how they like that.

GM is the closest to doing exactly that. They don't like what is called legacy costs - well over $5,000 per car goes to pay retiree pension and healthcare costs. They have moved lot of engineering and manufacturing to China - where they see their next big market. They will bankrupt GM again and this time .gov will decide not to bail them out with your money. The pensions will get assumed by .gov and get cut drastically, their healthcare will become Obummercare. Then the dealers will be flooded with cars assembled in Mexico with ChiCom parts. Don't forget last time GM went BK they tried to get out of the warranty liability on cars built before the BK. A judge stopped that and since then GM has been dividing the pie into many companies - to insulate the assets they can protect when they get sued. Ford split into to division EV and ICE but was already divided on the public and family stock. Basically the family stock owns the property and equipment and the public stock owns the raw materials and cars that get built. Even Fiat has broken Chrysler into three seperate companies. Jeep, Chrysler for the cars and Ram for the trucks. Chrysler the car division has been for sale for the last several years ever since Fiat realized they had been scammed by the Obama administration when they took it over - The stockholders lost - https://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2014/01/07/the-story-behind-chrysler-and-fiat-and-why-the-stock-is-so-cheap/?sh=3314ce4667d7

67 GT350

Quote from: TA Coupe on September 08, 2023, 05:33:21 PM
He's got a tough job

I elfin hear you, I got 6.25 out of college, college, what a waste!

Roy
RARE  Signature Delete

TOBKOB

QuoteAnd the UAW is asking for a 46% pay raise and a 32 hour work week but get paid for 40 hours. They should tell the UAW they're all fired and shut the company down and see how they like that

I think that would probably price the cars and trucks out of reach for most folks...Then what would they do? Super Duty trucks already are 90 to over 100 grand... :(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: TOBKOB on September 08, 2023, 09:56:00 PM
QuoteAnd the UAW is asking for a 46% pay raise and a 32 hour work week but get paid for 40 hours. They should tell the UAW they're all fired and shut the company down and see how they like that

I think that would probably price the cars and trucks out of reach for most folks...Then what would they do? Super Duty trucks already are 90 to over 100 grand... :(

So is the Lightning. They'll settle for 20-25% over 5 years so it's really only 4-5% a year - far less than what Joey Diapers is doing to the cost of things. Cutting the work week by 25% will not fly. Can you imaging the expense that they would incur trying to hire and train enough to fill the staff. Ford and GM both raised prices when they saw what dealers were making on cars during the pandemic shortage. Now the UAW wants their cut too. People just write off the higher price since it's something they only buy every 3-5 years. I've seen ads for 8 year loans on new cars so people are lulled by the monthly payment not the total cost. Ford and GM credit are even happy to roll over your loss when you trade in the car you were upside down on when it came time to sell. Banks are smarter than that.
PS - it's hard to get union workers to fathom that a 6% raise when inflation is 9% is a 3% loss while a 4% raise when inflation is 2-3% is a 1-2% win. Not a lot of deep thinkers there.