News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Trunk mat replacement

Started by Thanx2cs, September 10, 2023, 04:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanx2cs

I am looking to replace the mat currently residing in my trunk.  Quite sure it is the original since it has residue still in place from being glued in at the factory.  Who has the best replacement?  Mine is a cloth of some sort with brown fibers threaded throughout.  Was there a vinyl mat on top of this felt like glued in one?
Thanks for any help!

Kerry

Coralsnake

They are typically referred to as "speckled burtex"

There are reproductions available, however the material differs slightly.

Try National Parts Depot
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 10, 2023, 06:53:59 PM
Respectfully Mr Speegle, 1968 Shelby trunk mats were not sewn.

They are typically referred to as speckled burtex

For some reason my brain was locked on 67s at the moment when I read the request. Removed the post so as to not confuse anyone further.

My mistake for the day, week or month.  :( Will try not to repeat
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Thanx2cs

Thank you for your responses.  I am going to try to clean and flatten it out first! Fingers crossed that the old one might be salvageable.

Thanks

Bob Gaines

Unlike the speckled mats which were a composite of fiber material on the bottom side and a painted on speckled pattern on the top side some 68's came with a solid grey mat that was the same top and bottom. which one sounds closer to what you have?
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Thanx2cs

Hello Bob
I was able to clean it up pretty good.  Good enough so that I will not replace it.  I am pretty sure that it is just the plain grey since both sides look the same.  Also, it is clear that it was glued in place.
Now I' trying to determine if the spare tire is an original.  I've held onto it for 42 years thinking it is.  The date code is TUO 1185.  Does this line up with my car?
Thanks,
Kerry Hoctor

I have pictures if you are interested

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Thanx2cs on September 12, 2023, 07:21:40 PM
Hello Bob
I was able to clean it up pretty good.  Good enough so that I will not replace it.  I am pretty sure that it is just the plain grey since both sides look the same.  Also, it is clear that it was glued in place.
Now I' trying to determine if the spare tire is an original.  I've held onto it for 42 years thinking it is.  The date code is TUO 1185.  Does this line up with my car?
Thanks,
Kerry Hoctor

I have pictures if you are interested
That's a good thing it cleaned up because that grey style is not reproduced. I would enjoy seeing pictures as I am sure others would as well.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Thanx2cs

Hi Bob
If you could email me @stationerguy@aol.com I will send you pictures for publishing.  I can not post pictures here (:

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Thanx2cs on September 12, 2023, 08:48:11 PM
Hi Bob
If you could email me @stationerguy@aol.com I will send you pictures for publishing.  I can not post pictures here (:
Would you post your Shelby number and or the Ford build date for future reference. I will post the pictures.

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines

I have seen 3 types of original trunk mats used in 68 Shelby's. the most common speckled mat, less common grey felt like in the pictures and in very early cars the plaid butex back mat like used in 67's .

Thanx2cs

My Shelby is #2693 and was built 3-19-68.

papa scoops

my 68 3168, still has original mat, bulit 3 15 68, it is like the one in the white convert, cloth type grey in color. very hard to find, if not impossibe.