News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Should we remove members post counts from the forum?

Started by Bill, September 13, 2023, 06:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Having a discussion with long term (some of us dating back to the UUNET and newsgroup days), really good "IT" friends LAST night, the question of online forums, their user base, the trouble with moderating them, and the quest for high post counts by various members came up. These are people with 20+ years of forum moderation under their belts. Our conclusion on post counts was a simple one, those forums that eliminated the actual post counts from their members profiles, seemed to have less conflicts, and less off topic posts that needed to be moderated.

So the question I now pose is as follows:

Should we remove members post counts from the forum?

I'll leave it to the members of the forum to respond with a yes or no, and perhaps, if they would like to share, the reason for their answer.

Thanks for keeping this on topic, and civil.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Corey Bowcutt

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Shawn

Yes remove the count on posts.  Content over quantity regarding a post is what matters on this forum.  Maybe replace the counter with "SAAC Member Since _ _ _ _". 

shelbymann1970

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

That's a great idea. That might get rid of some nonsense

Peter L.

KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Special Ed

+1. YES   that will get rid of the big post #s  contest  and keep actual shelby  car related topics on the board since this is a SHELBY forum site!!!    What happened to Captain Dave did he retire and move to florida ?

shelbydoug

We've been through this before.

I personally think that eliminating the post count will have a negligible effect on constant posting offenders.

There seems to be some sort of reluctance here to remove certain individual posters that are largely considered offensive to other participants?

I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with the US Constitution's "Bill of Rights" and what we note as the "First Amendment".

I 'd like to point out that the "Bill of Rights" has little to do with controlling what is said here. It restricts "the Government" from abridging certain actions that are now refereed to as "individuals rights".

Some say that the SAAC Forum IS a SAAC function. Some say that it is not and is an independent organization unto itself. Participants here can not answer that question and the Officers of SAAC simply will not openly discuss this.

I would think that maybe it would be productive not to just have a single moderator here to make ultimate decisions. Private clubs and organizations often have
Board of Directors" to make membership decisions and perhaps that would benefit us here on the SAAC FORUM? To my knowledge, there is no board here empowered to make those kind of decisions, just one person, the"moderator" who considers it restraint on his part but others seem as reluctance?

In the past there have also been openly non-SAAC members, permitted to post here, which in effect acted as antagonists and trolls, posting contrary to the common good.

It is my view, that non-SAAC members posts should be limited. Perhaps by actions of the Forum Board of Directors.

Is this or is it not a SAAC function? The moderator here and SAAC HQ's disagree on that and ultimately that has to be settled as well by both parties.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

SunDude

I don't see how removing post counts will change anything regarding jerk behavior.
Like my father, I have just two emotions: Rage and Supressed Rage.

kjspeed

Post counts are irrelevant to me. Won't bother me a bit if they're removed.

Doug brings up a good point about the SAAC forum allowing anyone to actively participate in all but the solitary "Members Only" category. Personally, I think it should be the other way around. SAAC members should be able to post anywhere, anyone could read all but the Member Only section but also have one specific section for non-members to chirp away.

My greater concern however is that this forum software is now 6 years out of date and several revisions behind. That leads me to believe that maybe there are also no back-ups. So, eventually Version 2 will go the way of Version 1.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

I think one has to ask themselves if someone is posting "kool" or "great job" or "interesting" and doing this 8-10 times a day, what their motivation is? Or if the vast majority of their posting is off topic and not Shelby related?

I would contend they have other motivations, that might be better in other venues, like Facebook.

Just my opinion, I am authorized to have one. 😉

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Shawn on September 13, 2023, 07:11:36 AM
Yes remove the count on posts.  Content over quantity regarding a post is what matters on this forum.  Maybe replace the counter with "SAAC Member Since _ _ _ _".
read my profile on my posts. I have that I have been a SAAC member since 1990. I like the fact that I have supported SAAC and  even donated(got some stickers) when the club was being sued by you know who.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

SFM6S

I am in agreement about removing post count. I agree that its troublesome that again all knowledge learned here may be lost from a crash. The forum community has lost a vast amount of knowledge by those that have left the site, or a site crash or were driven away by nonsense. I do come here to learn about all of the various Shelby cars and the history, maybe have a laugh or two and contribute if I have something worthwhile to add.

Joe