News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Should we remove members post counts from the forum?

Started by Bill, September 13, 2023, 06:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HERTZ II

Add me to the list supporting the removal of post counts. Any effort that might eliminate those spectacularly absurd posts is clearly a step in the right direction.   

sfm5

At one time the number of posts represented someone's level of engagement on the forum, for example, the amount of helpful answers provided or useful discussions engaged in. But it seems nowadays that quantity does not necessarily equal quality, and some people's egos seem tied up in their post count. When the old forum crashed, besides the massive loss of documented knowledge & content, there were a lot of bruised egos over the counts as everyone had to start back at zero. If the counts don't provide anything positive then we should get rid of them IMHO.
65 GT350

greekz

I support removing the post count as well.  It is the content of the post that matters, not the number of times.  The great information passed on by those who know the details we seek are a great value to us Shelby owners.  Posting to increase your post count serves no one but the poster.  And, that is not worth squat!

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

paparazzi

Just my experience as an amateur: I assumed when I arrived to the forum that those with the most posts had the most experience. Thus the most car knowledge and would be the most helpful. I have found that is not always the case. Actually the opposite in some cases. I have so much gratitude for the help I receive from the Forum that any distraction irritates me. Thus I think the post count can be misleading. Unless someone can offer me an overwhelming positive to the count I would think it should be removed.

pchmotoho

Yes, hopefully it would eliminate a lot of the non Shelby related posts of which I see way to many of. 

pbf777

If I might comment;  I feel that "post counts" considerations should not be a tool for governing the function of the forum, that is to be regulated by the rules set forth and enforcement of such.  The idea that if we just make a minutia feature that we think might be a driving force for a few, which I assume this intent would be for those that might not be presenting postings of an appreciated subject matter but rather just flood the site with banter assumably solely for post count purposes, then better regulation is the answer, not limiting features to the entirety of the group.   :)

I would fear otherwise that a policy of removing currently available features being deemed as the simplest solution to control the few, follows similarly to to choice in attempting to control homicides in the society by first removing the guns from being available, but then realizing that knives are now a problem so further regulation is required with still fewer choices for the masses, then baseball bats, sling-shots, before long bricks will need regulating!   ::)

I believe the intended value in the posting counts feature is that this perhaps provides some guidance to the readers as to the possible validity of the comments being made, as otherwise with proper regulation the disfavored poster would shall we say..........have been tarred & feathered, and run out of town!   ::)

Scott.

Lincoln tech

Yes do it ,,,,, I'm still waiting for the King to chime in , he must be thinking  ;D

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Bill on September 13, 2023, 06:22:00 AM.... those forums that eliminated the actual post counts from their members profiles, seemed to have less conflicts, and less off topic posts
I'm neutral on the subject.
But I'd offer that passing a knowledge test before one can advise/respond on specific subjects would accomplish the same thing. That would at least make the C8 threads a one sided conversation......
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbymann1970

We have things like Hero Member, Newbie and such by our post counts. I  suggest we go to a system like below
0-15 Newbie
15-100 Jr Member
100-9999 Member
10K plus. SPAMMER
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

67 GT350

I say, why is it so important anyway? Why was it ever there on ANY forum? (incase we forgot what we are talking about, "post counts")... With that said, why if it doesn't mean anything even talk about it? Sounds like a lot of people like to read about themselves. I personally am not a fan of forums that the minute you write something people badger the poster, example the FGT forum....I love this forum because I can get useful info quick....Do I like laughing? YES and there is plenty to enjoy laughing about on it...

I am still waiting for my answer on where to buy a nice repro 67 deluxe door panel for my Shelby. I got no reply, no answer, crickets as they say. But Man did this post grab attention! PHEW!
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 13, 2023, 11:48:00 AM
We have things like Hero Member, Newbie and such by our post counts. I  suggest we go to a system like below
0-15 Newbie
15-100 Jr Member
100-9999 Member
10K plus. SPAMMER

Shelbymann1970...Now that was a great post!!! LOL Thats what I am takin about! I am complimenting it, not making fun of it....for those who dont understand humor.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 67 GT350 on September 13, 2023, 11:54:32 AM
I say, why is it so important anyway? Why was it ever there on ANY forum? (incase we forgot what we are talking about, "post counts")... With that said, why if it doesn't mean anything even talk about it? Sounds like a lot of people like to read about themselves. I personally am not a fan of forums that the minute you write something people badger the poster, example the FGT forum....I love this forum because I can get useful info quick....Do I like laughing? YES and there is plenty to enjoy laughing about on it...

I am still waiting for my answer on where to buy a nice repro 67 deluxe door panel for my Shelby. I got no reply, no answer, crickets as they say. But Man did this post grab attention! PHEW!
Yeah, my post was strictly humor of course. Hey, If I knew where to get some panels I'd tell you. Every once and a while a post gets buried thanks to  Spam posts. You may have to bump it up if it gets off the recent posts at hte bottom of the main page. I know of another who uses that tactic quite often. Goos luck on your panel search. I'll ask a friend who has one of the best 67 non Shelby/ non restomod Fastbacks in existence and his car is a factory 63B car.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

67 GT350

Thank you! Glad you got the humor, Sometimes I think that could be half the problem is that people are so wound up.
RARE  Signature Delete

Side-Oilers

It's difficult to police the "unpoliceable" when there's insufficient law or manpower to back it up with.

Without proper moderation, this and other forums tend to devolve into a "Lord of the Flies" childlike-mentality society of bullying and ostracism mixed with kingly hubris, annoying trolls, phonies, deceivers and many other dysfunctions.

Will eliminating the post count improve any of that? Who knows unless we try it.

But, while that change may make newbies feel more comfortable (I guess we couldn't call them "newbies"anymore) what would prevent any of us from counting our own posts (or making up a giant number) and putting that impressive participation trophy on our signature line?

IMO, the post count isn't the problem. It's some of the posters.

Since this is a public forum, anyone can lurk or become a super-contributor. With the ease of changing screen names, or establishing an entirely different account/web address via a VPN, there's no realistic way to totally ban someone from ever posting again.

If the forum became mostly private, with a couple of public areas (as mentioned earlier in this thread) that might be the answer. Full access would require a current membership. Just like at a gym or country club. 

Thoughts?

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Bigfoot

Quote from: pbf777 on September 13, 2023, 11:38:17 AM
     If I might comment;  I feel that "post counts" considerations should not be a tool for governing the function of the forum, that is to be regulated by the rules set forth and enforcement of such.  The idea that if we just make a minutia feature that we think might be a driving force for a few, which I assume this intent would be for those that might not be presenting postings of an appreciated subject matter but rather just flood the site with banter assumably solely for post count purposes, then better regulation is the answer, not limiting features to the entirety of the group.   :)

I would fear otherwise that a policy of removing currently available features being deemed as the simplest solution to control the few, follows similarly to to choice in attempting to control homicides in the society by first removing the guns from being available, but then realizing that knives are now a problem so further regulation is required with still fewer choices for the masses, then baseball bats, sling-shots, before long bricks will need regulating!   ::)

I believe the intended value in the posting counts feature is that this perhaps provides some guidance to the readers as to the possible validity of the comments being made, as otherwise with proper regulation the disfavored poster would shall we say..........have been tarred & feathered, and run out of town!   ::)

Scott.

Very well stated
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI