News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Should we remove members post counts from the forum?

Started by Bill, September 13, 2023, 06:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: deathsled on September 14, 2023, 10:46:36 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on September 14, 2023, 09:43:48 AM
Quote from: Harris Speedster on September 14, 2023, 09:37:44 AM
PBF 777,
The heart of the topic ?

I believe the intended value in the posting counts feature is that this perhaps provides some guidance to the readers as to the possible validity of the comments being made, as otherwise with proper regulation the disfavored poster would shall we say..........have been tarred & feathered, and run out of town!   ::)
Scott.

Great statement in this old dogs opinion.
Perhaps screen the un-scrupulous type differently, many that have posted seem to have the same feeling ?
Deathsled, as always a great thought out post, thank you for including me in your list, I am humbled by the knowledge of many on your list !

John from Utah, as big Jim Cowles aka'd as in the late 80's.

Speaking as an old dog who didn't make the list, I wonder if I am even relevant any more? I suspect not. I am not fitting anyone else's agenda and there are agendas here apparently.
I added you to the list, shelbydoug.  I always enjoy your philosophical and level headed approach to all topics plus your automotive knowledge for sure.  Sorry I missed you. I was a tad heated when I wrote that treatise which in the end means nothing because I am but one pathetic squeaky voice in this big world and I have thus far done nothing great or notable that would make me memorable in life or after death.  Being a lawyer does not impress me in the least.  It's a living sometimes full of vitriol is all I can say.  Being a noted author with something to say or a composer is a far greater aspiration.  I won't be remembered but for five minutes after I die, likely by the graveyard attendants before they shovel that last bit of earth and go to lunch.  That said, my SAAC list is inconsequential in the greater sense of things from someone who is also inconsequential, but all of you mean a lot to me and I apologize for missing one or more of you.  Now, I will endeavor to get off of this site and refrain from "irrelevant" posts as the benefit of my absence.

It's ok that I didn't make the cut for list...but Even over DEAD PEOPLE! That's a new low for me.

These days I agree with others that I don't even like what I think, mostly don't even care what I think and just accept my daily reviews. Usually from my wife of how disappointing I am.

That's all ok. I just am numb to it now. I keep things real. What really matters is that I didn't make the JV baseball team when I was 14 but got personally invited to a private tryout by Walter O'Malley, then owner of the Dodgers. SO THERE! Another LA connection that went bust. It was 1968 and had my Cobra already picked out.

Seriously though, what I advise "youngins" these days, which I do think is somewhat pertinent to this discussion in my own twisted way is,"never let someone else define who you are, that is your realm alone".

...and I never mess with Attorney's. Not to be critical of them, but they ALWAYS seem to be pissed off at something, somebody, somewhere.  ;)

I envisioned you POUNDING AWAY on the keyboard. I could hear it from here!  8)

OH and I just wanted you to know that I have  a big poster of your car...so please don't sue me?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pchmotoho

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 14, 2023, 12:25:53 PM
Quote from: deathsled on September 14, 2023, 10:46:36 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on September 14, 2023, 09:43:48 AM
Quote from: Harris Speedster on September 14, 2023, 09:37:44 AM
PBF 777,
The heart of the topic ?

I believe the intended value in the posting counts feature is that this perhaps provides some guidance to the readers as to the possible validity of the comments being made, as otherwise with proper regulation the disfavored poster would shall we say..........have been tarred & feathered, and run out of town!   ::)
Scott.

Great statement in this old dogs opinion.
Perhaps screen the un-scrupulous type differently, many that have posted seem to have the same feeling ?
Deathsled, as always a great thought out post, thank you for including me in your list, I am humbled by the knowledge of many on your list !

John from Utah, as big Jim Cowles aka'd as in the late 80's.

Speaking as an old dog who didn't make the list, I wonder if I am even relevant any more? I suspect not. I am not fitting anyone else's agenda and there are agendas here apparently.
I added you to the list, shelbydoug.  I always enjoy your philosophical and level headed approach to all topics plus your automotive knowledge for sure.  Sorry I missed you. I was a tad heated when I wrote that treatise which in the end means nothing because I am but one pathetic squeaky voice in this big world and I have thus far done nothing great or notable that would make me memorable in life or after death.  Being a lawyer does not impress me in the least.  It's a living sometimes full of vitriol is all I can say.  Being a noted author with something to say or a composer is a far greater aspiration.  I won't be remembered but for five minutes after I die, likely by the graveyard attendants before they shovel that last bit of earth and go to lunch.  That said, my SAAC list is inconsequential in the greater sense of things from someone who is also inconsequential, but all of you mean a lot to me and I apologize for missing one or more of you.  Now, I will endeavor to get off of this site and refrain from "irrelevant" posts as the benefit of my absence.

It's ok that I didn't make the cut for list...but Even over DEAD PEOPLE! That's a new low for me.

These days I agree with others that I don't even like what I think, mostly don't even care what I think and just accept my daily reviews. Usually from my wife of how disappointing I am.

That's all ok. I just am numb to it now. I keep things real. What really matters is that I didn't make the JV baseball team when I was 14 but got personally invited to a private tryout by Walter O'Malley, then owner of the Dodgers. SO THERE! Another LA connection that went bust. It was 1968 and had my Cobra already picked out.

Seriously though, what I advise "youngins" these days, which I do think is somewhat pertinent to this discussion in my own twisted way is,"never let someone else define who you are, that is your realm alone".

...and I never mess with Attorney's. Not to be critical of them, but they ALWAYS seem to be pissed off at something, somebody, somewhere.  ;)

I envisioned you POUNDING AWAY on the keyboard. I could hear it from here!  8)

OH and I just wanted you to know that I have  a big poster of your car...so please don't sue me?

Try being married to an attorney!   I've had a few tell me they hope their clients rot away in jail yet they still give them the best representation they can which is their job and I respect that. A lot of attorneys have tough jobs and the ones I know are very down to earth nice people.

Back to the previously scheduled program now. On most forums I'm on, a high number of posts will more often than not equate to better than decent knowledge which obviously is not alway the case so once again im all in when it comes to deleting post counts.  I enjoy this forum and purchased an amazing car thru here (thanks again Z ray) and have even learned more about old bicycles thru PM chats here.  The knowledge obtained here is incredible.  I do like the idea of maybe someones credentials below their SAAC handle. Such as concours judge, restorer of award winning  SAAC judged cars, etc etc.

Kiwis spirit will always live on and I really appreciate the work that Brian Littlefield contributes to the forum as well. 

shelbymann1970

I've known some who have left this site when it was SAAC 1.0. I won't get into the reasons. About counts and such there are some who have very little posts but that doesn't tell the story-when they became a forum member does in most cases I would think. A scammer guy selling stuff who could run up his posts all you need to do is look at when he joined? A week ago?  A few years ago I posted a wanted ad for 68 Shelby parts. Got a lot of good responses from forum members and my friend bought a lot of parts off of them but there was 1 scammer. He was a new-date wise-member so my friend asked if he had a part that didn't exist. He did.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

427heaven

Numbers count is like a participation trophy award today... It does not represent quality or ability. It just means someone has been involved for a period of time, good or bad! Trophies should be awarded to the best... that are deserving of such accolades not because someone showed up on here, as well as children`s sports, or band, or whatever. There are those that are not helpful, positive, or contributors to the groups well being. They just have too much time on their hands and dont really care about the direction of this very small group of automotive enthusiasts. When someone calls them out they get unhappy and blame others just a harsh reality of why even in the last few days... like Sled and Doug and a few others have said they are done contributing. Needs to be a way to hold on to the few we already have as well as gaining new excited people to come here and promote the cars we love so dearly.

Lincoln tech

Contributing ????? Great concept if you can contribute something that relates to this site that maybe helpful and interesting to others , but constantly copy paste and post useless crap from other sites is not what I would call it , how many times can someone tell us about how great the new Corvette is or upcoming car shows that most of us will never attend ? It's a waste of bandwidth , there are many very knowledgeable people on this site that do contribute by sharing their knowledge and ideas , the rest most likely don't know which end of screwdriver to use unless they can find help on the web , only my opinion .

SHELB66

I joined the forum to learn more about my Shelby and Shelby's in general.  It's nice to have a go-to site for maybe getting a question answered, learn something new, or contribute something that might be of interest to others.  I personally place little credence in post counts.  They are just numbers and are only an indication of member activity, both useful and useless.  I can live with or without them as I am able to navigate the site and extract the information that I'm in search of without being distracted by non-contributory posts.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

Craig R.
66 Hertz 6S1564
06 Hertz #446
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
02 Explorer Sport Trac

SFM5S000

Hello everyone,

I for one don't post much anymore since the Forum v1.0 crash. I will usually not reply to these types of discussions either, but I'll make this exception.
As for the elimination of the post count, I'm either way as it's not important to me. For the most part the "regulars" here on the forum knows who's who. I'd bet even the unregistered visitors, lurkers to the forum knows or can tell.
When it comes to certain specified topics that interest me, I'll engage or on occasion when I sell or buy an item(s).
Back to the topic. I too am annoyed by this individual(s) posts. As a result I use and would recommend the "Ignore this user" function. (See enlarged attached pic). I find it works well. Maybe consider it going forward, until a decision can be made by the powers that be.

Cheers
~Earl J

Coralsnake

Earl, can you give a short description of where to find the ignore option?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

s2ms

This should work:

Step 1 - Login, select "Profile", then "Forum Profile" from the drop down list.

Step 2 - A new menu will open. Select "Modify Profile", then "Buddies/Ignore List..."

Dave - 6S1757

SCJSTU

1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1
1956 Ford F-100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1957 F-100 Fridge
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU
1961 Falcon 2 dr wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD

Bobby Crumpley

Am I the only one who finds the irony funny that all but one guy have increased their post count in this thread?
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

98SVT - was 06GT

Just spotted this - thought it could be germain to the discussion - or not.

I'll take the credit for Richard (Deathsled) being here - thanks.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

SFM5S000

Quote from: s2ms on September 15, 2023, 08:48:39 PM
This should work:

Step 1 - Login, select "Profile", then "Forum Profile" from the drop down list.

Step 2 - A new menu will open. Select "Modify Profile", then "Buddies/Ignore List..."

Thanks Dave. I was going to reply to Pete and do just that but you beat me to it.
A few years ago Ron Richards aka computerworks showed the forum community this option in dealing with this issue (?). I immediately applied it, and poof no more issues.
Again, I would suggest to those affected by this _______ look up the individual, apply it. It essentially puts him on his own island without you ever having to visit.
Life is all good!
Chillax

Cheers
~E

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 15, 2023, 10:45:00 PM
Just spotted this - thought it could be germain to the discussion - or not.

I'll take the credit for Richard (Deathsled) being here - thanks.
Great MEME and I've seen that done before. LOL.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

Here is the issue I see with spamming: I usually have SAAC running in a tab even when I'm not looking at the forum. I hit to the Recently discussed topics. There have been some that I have missed due to one person showing up on the majority of recent topics so some relevant to me are buried in the sections due to the spamming. I just did a screen shot a minute ago and this is the typical look of what I see. See what I mean?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990