News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Should we remove members post counts from the forum?

Started by Bill, September 13, 2023, 06:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

The forum has promised to address these issues before....
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

crossboss

Guys, These is a 'rule' posted from one of the moderators that says (I will paraphrase) : spammers, and trolls will be removed/banned. We all know WHO is the problem. So, why is the 'problem' not removed?
That said, some prolific posters are paid 5 cents per post. Yahoo is filled with them. I assume our local 'problem' member is the same....as he touts is 'view count'.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

gt350shelb

perhaps its time for forum 3.0  with real moderators . and no trolls
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

98SVT - was 06GT

I wonder if we could put in a field that says "Ignored by X# members". I had responded to the troll earlier but have since deleted it and him.
Now all I see is - You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

This is the link posted by Bill who started this thread:

"Facebook's description pretty well sums it up:
An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Trolls delight in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion.
Signs Someone Is Trolling by howtogeekdotcom
It can sometimes become difficult to tell the difference between a troll and someone who just genuinely wants to argue about a topic. However, here are a few tell-tale signs that someone is actively trolling.

Off-topic remarks: Completely going off-topic from the subject at hand. This is done to annoy and disrupt other posters.
Refusal to acknowledge evidence: Even when presented with hard, cold facts, they ignore this and pretend like they never saw it.
Dismissive, condescending tone: An early indicator of a troll was that they would ask an angry responder, "Why you mad, bro?" This is a method done to provoke someone even more, as a way of dismissing their argument altogether.
Use of unrelated images or memes: They reply to others with memes, images, and gifs. This is especially true if done in response to a very long text post.
Seeming obliviousness: They seem oblivious that most people are in disagreement with them. Also, trolls rarely get mad or provoked.

The list above is by no means definitive. There are a lot of other ways to identify that someone is trolling. Generally, if someone seems disingenuous, uninterested in a real discussion, and provocative on purpose, they're likely an internet troll."

Sounds like the 'problem' member we are all speaking about...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Side-Oilers

Thanks for posting that official definition.

What I don't understand is why anyone would get a rush from being a troll. Are they that anti-social? Is it that much fun to f-up other people's questions and conversations? Seriously, WTF? 

Not to mention the time and effort it takes to be a dedicated pain-in-the-ass troll.  I check the forum twice a day, on an average day. But sometimes not for several days, or for a week if I'm away on a trip. How much time does a career troll spend? Gotta be hours per day, 365. 

Don't they have any sort of a life outside of trolling?  I don't have enough time in my day to get half the things done that I'd like to.

I'd vote for establishing a Forum 3.0. With stricter rules of decorum and swift blocking and/or banishment for flagrant repeat offenders.

But, with continued latitude for Lounge topics that are funny and not-Shelby-related. 

Get rid of the post count.

Keep the ability to put Years of SAAC Membership on one's profile or signature line.

Anything else?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Coralsnake

Even after dozens of complaints by members, nothing will be done. The "moderator" is not capable and has lost control.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 18, 2023, 08:10:37 AM
Even after dozens of complaints by members, nothing will be done. The "moderator" is not capable and has lost control.

He is quite capable and is in control. He just doesn't want to do it. To him listening to us is letting the inmates run the asylum. That will never change.

There are a number of issues here that just will never be dealt with. Perhaps he is right but I don't see that as a possibility. Then again, my view does not count either so don't get all upset about yours not counting either.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Someone asked why would someone relish in what they do to annoy others? Ever listen to Dennis Leary's A^^hole song? Why do people piss on toilet seats? Drive slow in the fast lane?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

crossboss

Guys,
FWIW, in the last 10 topic threads, 7 of them were started by, and answered by our 'problem' member. Talk about a spammer troll...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

OldGuy

I tried implementing the suggestion by S2MS in Post #68 for "ignoring" posts by individuals. I must have done something wrong as our man from Florida's posts keep appearing.

What did I do wrong?

Thanx

Frank

HERTZ II

Quote from: OldGuy on September 18, 2023, 11:17:56 AM
I tried implementing the suggestion by S2MS in Post #68 for "ignoring" posts by individuals. I must have done something wrong as our man from Florida's posts keep appearing.

What did I do wrong?

Thanx

Frank

........from another graybeard.......I also followed the directions and nothing has changed. 

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

HERTZ II

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 18, 2023, 01:22:50 PM
I am wondering if you need to do a restart?

If by "restart", you mean log off the forum then sign in.....yes, did that several times. Even looked back to see if the  name was still on the ignor list...it is. 

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!