News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Brake scoops painted?

Started by Karguy, September 13, 2023, 09:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karguy

A question came up recently concerning painting the inside of the brake scoops black on early 66 GT350s, specifically 281 and even back through the carry over cars. I realized now I'm not sure if they painted the early 66 scoop openings black or not. Any thoughts, documentation, etc.?
Thanks
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Karguy on September 13, 2023, 09:23:29 AM
A question came up recently concerning painting the inside of the brake scoops black on early 66 GT350s, specifically 281 and even back through the carry over cars. I realized now I'm not sure if they painted the early 66 scoop openings black or not. Any thoughts, documentation, etc.?
Thanks
I have always thought the scoop black out was a outside engineered design from Job 1. Survivor examples formulated my point of view. The brochure car is a example of scoop black out. I have always believed that the brochure car to be a carryover car with wheel and tire change given the needed early release of sales brochure. If someone has other info on that belief feel free to update me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Agreed and the unibody was painted black in this area before the scoops were attached. Will trey and remember to post some pictures of this from unrestored cars.
In the short run here are some pictures over on the CMF

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4260.msg121165#msg121165
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

s2ms

I remember reading this famous photo shows carryovers and was taken in Oct 1965, can anyone verify?

Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

Have more examples from after carry over cars since so many of those have been restored So like S2MS I went to period pictures (except for one below) of what were or likely are carry overs since you seem to be more focused on those. Here are a couple. All below 6S400 for this set

And a couple of examples of right after the change over. Same workers and practices it appears

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Karguy

Thanks Jeff, very helpful. One more question. Did the carryover cars which were actually 65s have a 66 grill installed at SA?
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Karguy on September 13, 2023, 09:22:10 PM
Thanks Jeff, very helpful. One more question. Did the carryover cars which were actually 65s have a 66 grill installed at SA?

Yes that was one of the quickest and easiest ways to update and make them look more like 66 models from a distance.

Karguy

Were the grills swapped it SA or San Jose?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Karguy on September 13, 2023, 09:46:32 PM
Were the grills swapped it SA or San Jose?

Since the cars were built at San Jose during 1965 production I doubt that they had 66 grills at the plant so don't think that was a possibility. Don't recall being concerned or wondering when the 66 grills were installed to be honest and don't recall it being asked before in the forum. 

Sure we could find some pictures (well maybe) of one of the groups or look at the Add/Delete sheets to see if those were listed there. Just haven't taken the time right now to do so

Karguy

66TotalPerf

Is the current consensus that most '66 cars had the rear brake scoops blacked out? Or was it based on the exterior paint color? For instance, did all black cars also receive scoops blacked out?
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 66TotalPerf on November 02, 2023, 10:50:01 AM
Is the current consensus that most '66 cars had the rear brake scoops blacked out? Or was it based on the exterior paint color? For instance, did all black cars also receive scoops blacked out?
I think black cars were the ones that typically missed the black out. I have seen it on the green cars. Of course there can always be that one.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Agreed and that is what my data shows as of this point and don''t expect to find anything to the contrary in the future

silverton_ford

One discussion I have had at French Lick a couple weeks ago; is early in the 1966 production year SAI masked off and paint the black paint on the quarter before installing the scoop and then later in the year they changed to just shooting in some black paint into the scoop after the scoop was installed.

Has there been enough definite information to conclude this one way or the other?

66TotalPerf

Hey Brian, any idea if this painting change corresponds with SA changing their process from installing the brake duct mounts from internal to externally mounted?
-Brent
'66 GT350 Tribute, '66 F100 4x4