News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sept1964 Analysis & Recommendations for Improvements on Shelby Modified Mustang

Started by 6R07mi, September 15, 2023, 02:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6R07mi

I have not previously seen any reference to the Philco Division involvement in the GT350 development.

Philco's work with SAI in sorting out the GT-40 is well documented and so it comes as no surprise I guess they would have also been involved with the "Shelby Modified Mustang"

It seems there continues to be small pieces of historical documents / personal accounts that surface and add to the body of knowledge regarding the vehicles / programs that involved Shelby American.

enjoy !
jim p 
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

Coralsnake

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

68blk500c

6R07mi

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 15, 2023, 02:32:51 PM
Fo you think those are specific to the "competition" models?

Since the letter is dated Sept 64, it's after  before Chuck C.'s Oct 16th start date  Chuck Cantwell was involved, that's a good question to pose to Chuck, anyone have his contact info??

They reference the 2 notchback sedan "test/development" cars and a 2+2 for rear window study.
My conjecture is this is prior to the Oct ?? order of the 3 prototypes (SFM5001, 5002, 5003) ordered mid Sept 1964
so perhaps this was a general program recommendation it was up to Chuck / Pete Brock for implementation??

But in my mind it now presents a question, was the side scoop & rear window a combination of Philco recommendations & Pete Brock for "design" implementation??

The oil cooler, front brake air ducts and rear Plexiglas window are competition only features, the side scoop was likely initially considered for competition but they may have then determined the underbody version was easier, cheaper option, shelved until 66?

I have photos of the "mocked up" side scoop using a cobra hood scoop (black painted) somewhere, I'll have to search for them,
update-
the attached are the notchback "development car" that may have been the attempt to investigate how to implement the Philco recommendation?

this is just interesting to me to fit the development puzzle together !

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

98SVT - was 06GT

Still working on those recommendations. Many of us were at Willow Springs yesterday. It was somewhat historic in the fact this appears to be the first time that a GT350 got any real aerodynamic testing with tufts as they did for the Daytona Coupe and GT40 program. When they got done there were tufts every 6" or so and all the various sections of the car were filmed. There was a lot of video shot and the OVC web site should have links and a video put together soon.
Pete Brock and John Morton were unable to attend the test. The driving was handled by Rick Titus and Vince LaViolette who is the head development engineer/driver at Shelby American. Jim Marietta of OVC explained what the day would consist of and what they were seeking to prove. Most didn't realize that a young Shelby was looking over Jim's shoulder in the Willow Springs coffee shop.
SoCal was the Aerospace hotbed Philco was Ford's foray into the aerospace business.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

CharlesTurner

Definitely referring to competition models.

The first 3 cars had already been ordered in Sept '64, before Chuck started, which was around Halloween '64.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Hov

I'll pass this over to Chuck, I have never seen this before. I was under the thought Peter designed these areas himself. Very interesting, thanks for posting this. 

CharlesTurner

Quote from: Hov on September 16, 2023, 03:51:08 AM
I'll pass this over to Chuck, I have never seen this before. I was under the thought Peter designed these areas himself. Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

+1, I've sent the doc over to Peter.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge