News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1968 Shelby project car

Started by azdriver, September 16, 2023, 09:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephen_becker

$ 85,000.00 and another $ 100,000.00+ to properly restore it

and you will never have the original motor in it

and it will be worth a lot less then what you put in it

Plus 2 to 3 years of time

Coralsnake

I guess an alternative point of view is needed 😉

Finding a good car with a good body is not going to be easy. I am not sure what the low price end is on these, but Im pretty sure you're not going to find a car in the 60-70 range. So we are basically talking about $15k.

Stephen is 100% correct, if you are looking for a flip, this would probably be a flop. If you want a nice solid car, to keep it might be a good buy. If you were a painter even better.

Disclaimer, I dont know the seller and thats if his history checks out
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

FL SAAC

Quote from: stephen_becker on September 16, 2023, 01:05:15 PM
$ 85,000.00 and another $ 100,000.00+ to properly restore it

and you will never have the original motor in it

and it will be worth a lot less then what you put in it

Plus 2 to 3 years of time

+ 1 reminds me of a burnt 69 shelby
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

In written and spoken language, there is a term, synonym.

A synonym is a word that is similar but not exactly the same as the originating term.

Here you could compare the term, flipper, re-seller, dealer. Are they exactly the same?

It doesn't really matter. What is being pointed out that when the total cost of returning this car to it's "original state" that at this point it will likely exceed the current retail reselling value it has to a flipper, a re-seller, a dealer? How significant is that? Probably only to a flipper, a re-seller, a dealer? So what's the problem with that if you are not into that project to make a profit on it?

Is making a profit on a re-sale restored even arrived at yet and should that be the determining factor in purchasing it now? Dealers definitely have a view and maybe it is simply at the probable final cost is not profitable to them, they should be entitled to purchase the car at a price they deem as profitable? Really? So why does that "entitlement" exist? No one is trading it in for credit towards one of their sales?

I think that is an argument going nowhere...fast.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Seems to me over the decades I have followed project cars most have sold for more than their perceived value(initial buy + Restoration cost= market value). Most buyers cannot afford a done car so they buy a project and work on restoring it as money comes available. Others see that by the time the car is done the market value will be higher(betting on historical values). With the work done already and if all the parts are there and the car being solid I'd think there would be a buyer near that price. The non matching engine does not bother me. The auto and saddle do though. Say I wanted one right now(I am waiting for same car but numbers matching/4 speed/black interior) I'd be contacting the seller for more info. I've bought a 68 Shelby as a basket case with body/paint done  and I felt that was a plus over a driving car ready to be torn apart for resto. Someone cut a lot of hours out of the process.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Survivor

Why can't pp/owners just leave a car like this alone and enjoy it is as a nice driver-and then put it up for sale in the same condition-would probably bring close to 100k.  Way too easy-quick grab the wrench and start tearing her down...

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Survivor on September 17, 2023, 08:51:44 AM
Why can't pp/owners just leave a car like this alone and enjoy it is as a nice driver-and then put it up for sale in the same condition-would probably bring close to 100k.  Way too easy-quick grab the wrench and start tearing her down...
I don't know why you would make that comment unless you know the exact scenario on this car before it was disassembled? There could have been a valid reason or a variety of reasons. Maybe missing the original engine could be a major clue. My friend had such a car out of a Airplane junk yard in Az. Very rare 69 SCJ R-code 4 speed 4.30 geared sportsroof in acapulco blue. Extremely solid but Az baked paint(none on top of car). Engine missing and sitting for years. Only answer at that stage was a resto.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

SAM83

Like what I'm assuming is the original license plate frame. 

Coralsnake

I believe that is the original plate frame. The car came from Hayward Ford. It was on eBay a while back

SAM83

He's only 2 hours from me. Could knock on his door and offer money for the plate as mine is also Acapulco/saddle from Hayward Ford. ;D. plus would give me an excuse to buy gas for $1/gal cheaper by crossing into NV

Coralsnake

SAM83

Owner of #770 for 40 years
Unfortunately don't know salesman.
Thanks for the links !