Author Topic: Random car pictures  (Read 717507 times)

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Random car pictures
« Reply #3045 on: July 22, 2021, 11:40:07 AM »

I really like these period engine photos, as often even with the greatest of efforts in old race car restorations it just seems to often these things are exhibited just not as they actually were and also often with more modern components managing to be included in the engine compartment.
     But the purpose of my posting is that as much as I like this photo, but the execution in the Heim Joint or spherical rod ends utilized for the function of the throttle linkage just stands out as a potential failure (a.k.a. a F#@k-UP!); and this provides an opportunity to point out to others something not to do.  Namely this being the excessive exposure of the threaded sections of the rod-ends to the hex-links as this makes for weakness of the connector assembly enhancing the possibility of bending, and or perhaps failure do to just a lack of reasonable tread engagement of the link.     ;)

Just food for thought; and it was just buggin' me each time I looked at it!    :o

Scott.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: July 23, 2021, 12:14:21 AM »
Shot, in I believe Cobo Hall, at the 1984 Detroit F1 race. Cobras by North American Fiberglass

Mike

ps: not the best image, two photos put together  ;)

That is probably the best looking Daytona I have ever seen. 

😳
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:17:33 AM by 2112 »

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: August 22, 2021, 05:03:34 AM »
Bud Moore and hauler...the caption read something like "do you think those race heads will fit ?"

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: August 22, 2021, 05:05:54 AM »
wild looking headers ! are the engine and other parts in the back Ford ? if not will delete post.

Mike

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: August 22, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »

I really like these period engine photos, as often even with the greatest of efforts in old race car restorations it just seems to often these things are exhibited just not as they actually were and also often with more modern components managing to be included in the engine compartment.
     But the purpose of my posting is that as much as I like this photo, but the execution in the Heim Joint or spherical rod ends utilized for the function of the throttle linkage just stands out as a potential failure (a.k.a. a F#@k-UP!); and this provides an opportunity to point out to others something not to do.  Namely this being the excessive exposure of the threaded sections of the rod-ends to the hex-links as this makes for weakness of the connector assembly enhancing the possibility of bending, and or perhaps failure do to just a lack of reasonable tread engagement of the link.     ;)

Just food for thought; and it was just buggin' me each time I looked at it!    :o

Scott.

The Fafnir brand small male rod ends are all pulled on to make the throttles open. In tension they are quite strong. They were originally designed as aircraft parts and much stronger and fatigue resistant than you might think. Many of the mechanical fuel injection systems for the 1960s used the same brand and size parts also. They are not the cheap zinc die cast rod ends sold by most common speed part merchants in that time frame.

The weakest pieces in that picture are the spindles (throttle plate shafts) shafts. The steel E. Weber used was very soft carbon steel in a fully annealed condition which they machined down to very thin cross sections in the throttle bores. Think about coat hanger wire strength. The shafts take permanent twists and bends very easily. The ends of the spindles are very weak. The metal is so soft the levers will damage the shaft ends if allowed to wallow on them.

Otherwise, you are correct about most 'factory' systems as "restored". Only  few that I know of have the actual small parts Shelby American installed. Original parts are so rare it is impractical for owners and restorers to use everything original.  Not many got recommissioned with new old stock parts either.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: August 22, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
As a side note to this. Anyone watch engine masters and side by side comparison of exhaust systems? The old tried and true TRI Y headers came in last place for power enhancement. OH well they are original and look great, just dont perform that well when you put your foot in it.

Jimbc123

• View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: August 22, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »
Maybe I watched a different episode of Engine Masters, but I was surprised how well tri-y headers performed. On a Chevy engine, the tri-y produced just 2% less power compared to the best header in the test. The tri-y produced 445.3 hp compared to 452.6 hp for the best header, a long tube fenderwell header.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: August 22, 2021, 07:10:49 PM »
My buddy just sent me this from a concours car show in Pasadena CA today.  He's a judge for Duesenbergs & Packards.

I'm hoping there was a high-security section for this classic UghStang to safely park.

Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

etbandung

• View Profile
    • Tempat Les Bahasa Inggris
« Reply #3053 on: August 23, 2021, 03:08:31 AM »

Look at the rollbar !!
I'm sure the driver got a knot on his head?  Or even worse  :o

@ Side-Oilers   Yea, 'cause that Camry is a '05/'06.

that gonna leave some marks  :'(

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: August 23, 2021, 12:16:45 PM »

The Fafnir brand small male rod ends.................... In tension they are quite strong. They were originally designed as aircraft parts and much stronger and fatigue resistant than you might think. Many of the mechanical fuel injection systems for the 1960s used the same brand and size parts also. They are not the cheap zinc die cast rod ends sold by most common speed part merchants in that time frame.

I agree completely with this statement, but I think you missed the point I was trying to convey ; it's not the choice of materials that I was commenting on, but rather the execution of the installation.  The manufacture will advise, and it should be obvious, that the shorter the exposed threaded (weaker) stem length the better, and so it is wisely practiced.     :)   

The weakest pieces in that picture are the spindles (throttle plate shafts) shafts. The steel E. Weber used was very soft carbon steel in a fully annealed condition which they machined down to very thin cross sections in the throttle bores. Think about coat hanger wire strength. The shafts take permanent twists and bends very easily. The ends of the spindles are very weak. The metal is so soft the levers will damage the shaft ends if allowed to wallow on them.

Yep, and the same is true of many throttle shafts in other applications.  I'm not knowledgeable as to any real reason(s) why, but perhaps this is due to the tendency of this small of a round steel shaft, particularly with the machined interruptions in its' profile to not remain adequately strait/true upon heat-treatment; this creating a function problem (and cost to rectify?) with the close fitment of the throttle shaft bore requirements in the body. 

This is another reason, although not "correct" for this example, that 'center-pull' linkage, this where the link from the intake mounting to the throttle shaft lever is mounted between the two carburetors rather than as depicted acting at the end of the set of two, as this reduces load in length and the tendency of the shafts to adopt a twist, this resulting in the offsetting the throttle butterflies in seating and the particularly sensitive to tuning, initial timing of position in rotation.      ;)

Only  few that I know of have the actual small parts Shelby American installed. Original parts are so rare it is impractical for owners and restorers to use everything original. 

And yes, I understand this but my thought is when I see the desperation and expense put forth for say a "proper" date-coded radiator cap, oil/air filter element (we have had customers asking for correct date-coded rod & main bearings even!), then I seem to think the "proper", more visible and significant components can be had, if one truly tried.  And as you stated, although perhaps rare as far as being as originally installed here, much of these small items were "buy-outs" from suppliers commonly existing inventories vs. some truly rare one-off manufacturing endeavors.      :-\

Scott.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: August 23, 2021, 04:13:33 PM »
Mansfield, Louisiana, August 1956. Lining up for the prelim are Big Jim Hall [OSCA MT4], Art Bunker in that yellow Porsche 550RS again , and Bob Bennett [Corvette]
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: August 23, 2021, 04:14:51 PM »
Mansfield, August 1956. Feature winner Roy Cherryhomes crosses the finish line with a flat tire on his Ferrari 121 LM.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: August 23, 2021, 04:16:18 PM »
Roy did enjoy that checkered flag. He drove his Ferrari himself when Carroll Shelby was not available.

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: August 23, 2021, 05:32:34 PM »
Found this one '80s-'90s near me in Ontario, Canada.

Never be with out your camera, don't know what you might stumble on  ::)

What do you guys think ?  "C" for effort !

Mike
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 10:36:11 PM by honker »

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: August 24, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »

And yes, I understand this but my thought is when I see the desperation and expense put forth for say a "proper" date-coded radiator cap, oil/air filter element (we have had customers asking for correct date-coded rod & main bearings even!), then I seem to think the "proper", more visible and significant components can be had, if one truly tried.  And as you stated, although perhaps rare as far as being as originally installed here, much of these small items were "buy-outs" from suppliers commonly existing inventories vs. some truly rare one-off manufacturing endeavors.      :-\

Scott.

Most Cobra owners have little interest in fine details.  From one perspective, why bother with correct small parts for a car with perhaps a custom replacement engine, custom wheels and tires, flared fenders, customized suspension, upholstery,  or even built from a little salvageable from a crash. In a recent conversation with the owner of a 427 Cobra he had zero interest in trying to make his car more original because it already had a custom replacement drive train and a general rebuild to mimic a SC car. 

There are Cobra, 427 Cobra, and GT40 owners that start efforts to return typical average cars to more day one configuration but only a few. That being the case there is little demand for engineering and time frame correct parts so parts dealers normally do not bother keeping up with such parts.  It can take a decade plus just to find most of the parts required to get close to day one for a street car and race car parts are just about non-existent anymore. In many cases, street or race, you have to reverse engineer and make what you need and that is not fast or low cost.  The person that buys an average Cobra and just keeps it two or three years just is not going to care all that much in my experience.

Last but not least, buy an average Cobra, spend ten years and tens of thousands on “original” parts and the value at auction has not changed at all. Buy a car spend $150,000 or more on it and you still have probably not changed its market value. From that perspective, why bother on details unless you plan on keeping the car the rest of your life no matter what the ‘market’ does.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.