News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Random car pictures

Started by 1109RWHP, January 22, 2018, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhjanes

Quote from: pbf777 on February 24, 2023, 02:24:16 PM
    This story is in response to the burn-out.

When we first moved into this building 40 years ago we had displaced a mobile food vendor fleet business, and I won't go into details but experiencing through observation of the lack of sanitation coupled with a rodent population that would have made "Willard" jealous, I don't eat off any of those "roach-coaches"!  :o  But anyway, it was time for a new set of rear tires for my '72 Mach1, and being that there was still some rubber attached to the cords I decided I'd get the rest of my value from them, so one day at closing time I pulled into the shop, shut the doors, and began a burnout to end all burnouts!   ::)

At first it was just a gag with the guys, then it became a challenge to see just how dense a cloud and how little visibility could be had inside a building!  After a couple of minutes everyone else had bailed from the building, but I persisted on, until I just no longer could breath, and I'm pretty thick headed so I assure you, it was bad, and I probably should have received oxygen when I finally gave up and bailed out of the building (come to think of it, this may be one of the events that has led to my current brain-dead stupidity  ::)), locked-up and left for the night.

The next morning upon entering the building, hundreds of dead roaches on the floor everywhere!  :o  This proved to be the best de-bugging pest treatment I have ever witnessed, along with there were no more rodents or any other pests about any longer either!   ;)

I had gotten better results from my old used tires than any service from the Orkin guy!  And cancelled his contract the next month!   8) 

Scott.   

Great story.  Reminded me of something. 
In the mid to late 1970's, I worked in auto parts supply stores.  The place I worked had about 15 stores around Dallas/Fort Worth.  The area then had at least three drag strips. Several of the people working auto parts, were big into drags.  The company bought out a store from a man and moved me and another guy to it to set it up, make it a "Company" store.  The store was in what was then a small suburb.  The store was in the towns largest shopping strip.  There was a grocery store, us, an insurance guy, maybe a restaurant or two.  We'd been transforming the store most of the summer, but also working on our own cars.  I'd purchased a 1970 Mercury Cyclone 429CJ car.  I'd parked it at the stores back door, pulled the motor and was rebuilding it in the back of the store.  Now our store we only used about half the space.  The back half of the store was just open floor.  My manager and only other employee, was one of those drag racers.  the parking lot often had his tow car with his early 60's ChevyII drag car on the trailer.  But he also had one of those 1950's front engine rail drag cars.  It wasn't very big, 350 Chevy.  One week he grabbed a tape measure and measured the opened to that back door, which was a double door with a center post.  He saw that the center post was removable and the opening was just wide enough to fit his rail dragster in!  It took both of us, but the next Sunday morning, we got the rail inside.  We worked on it for the week and by the next Sunday it was repaired.  Now the bright idea light dings on.  He decides to START the drag car...in the back of the store....with those open curved straight pipes.  And once started, well you just HAVE to blip that throttle.  He had the windows shaking on the store.  Remember it was Sunday and we'd not thought this out.  Yes MOST of the stores were closed.  Restaurants, closed.  Spa, closed, barber, closed.  Grocery store.......   When he shut down we could then hear shouting from the front of the store.  Here was the grocery manager and the deli manager and.....the baker.  OH!  The cakes had all fallen, customers had thought we were under Soviet attack, children were scared for life.   We got chewed out by the main manager for all our stores.  I think they got a letter from the building owner about our activities.  I burned the midnight oil to get my 429 rebuilt and out of there.  College was starting back up anyway.   
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

KR500

Back in the 80's my best friend worked as a salesman at one of the largest motorcycle dealers in the country. They would have an after hours Christmas party every Christmas eve. This was a pretty big building. They would have the food, drink and socializing in the showroom. In the service area was were the real action occurred.They would get several small bikes, usually 60-80cc 2 strokes off the showroom floor or out of stock and set up a track though out the back of the building and have "pit bike races". The courses had support beams and the like lined through out. No hay bales or the like to protect the participants from them, nope they used new crated motorcycles instead. Now 90% of the participants were real racers so we were serious about wining and having a hell of a good time. Helmets and other safety equipment were optional ( rare, unheard of ) but beer on the other had was nearly mandatory. Racing/parting would go on for several hours, usually until the CO got so bad you couldn't think straight. OK the beer might have had a little part in it. After a few years the dealership opens a new second store up 40 miles away and my fiend is sent there. Same Christmas eve tradition as before, but this store is smaller. Same as before, course set up in the back shop area. New stock in crates lining the course ect.just smaller. Racing gets crazy fast so some genius decides to put down soapy water ( on top of smooth concrete ) to slow us down. Well it worked for awhile until it dried up. So the next brilliant idea was to use oil. Mayhem ensues. Surprisingly there were no major injuries to the riders other than dead brain cells, can't say that so much to the new stock in the crates though. Exhaust fumes and CO get real bad a lot quicker in the smaller shop, head aches get bigger also. Their might have been a few damaged in freight claims submitted come the new year. Ah the good old days!
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

pbf777

And.................. THE RIGHT WAY!     8)

Scott.

FL SAAC

Not a real one, but still ouch !

I have all UNGOLD cars

tesgt350

Quote from: FL SAAC on February 28, 2023, 01:21:37 PM

I will bet that he was leaning over and reaching to grab something that was either in the Passenger Seat or on the Passenger Floor while holding onto the top of the Steering Wheel.

TA Coupe

Quote from: FL SAAC on February 28, 2023, 09:02:06 AM
Both ways

Background is interesting. Truck with side pipes and I think a Maverick with side pipes also.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Quote from: tesgt350 on February 28, 2023, 02:33:14 PM

I will bet that he was leaning over and reaching to grab something that was either in the Passenger Seat or on the Passenger Floor while holding onto the top of the Steering Wheel.
.   Cellphone casualty...

tesgt350

Quote from: 557 on February 28, 2023, 06:30:27 PM
Quote from: tesgt350 on February 28, 2023, 02:33:14 PM

.   Cellphone casualty...

Yeah, like he had the Phone sitting on the Passenger Seat and it slid towards the Passenger Door and he quickly leaned over to grab it before it fell between the Seat and Door and BAM hit the Guard Rail.

Also if it's a stick(and it should be)things get a bit busy,what with the steering wheel,the shifter and the phone......Do YOU have 3 hands?!?! ;)

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: FL SAAC on February 25, 2023, 10:04:58 AM
And this is the car that changed the complete snack and chips business

The Cheetah

Who would have thunk?

Or as Jerry Titus named it - the Gyro. You never knew which way it would point.

Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless