News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Random car pictures

Started by 1109RWHP, January 22, 2018, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Side-Oilers

^^^ Unassuming woman above:  "Hey Biff, your car needs Dagmar bumpers."

Biff:  "I know. Stop pointing that out!"
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Captain J. K. on the Jupiter  8

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

Hov

This was last race of the 1970 TA season at Riverside. The Championship had already been determined (BOSS 302) at Kent a couple weeks before. This race was nothing much more than a race between Parnelli and George, with nothing on the line. Parnelli was hit on the right side by a Camaro which sent him out into the infield by the time he returned he was in last place. The accident affected his differential, when he would turn to the right, the right rear tire would lock up.  He  solved this issue by pitching the right side of the BOSS up on a berm effectively driving the car around the right turns with only the left two wheels on the ground. This went on for the entire rest of the race. It caught the attention of at least one photographer who was shooting for Road and Track from another part of the track, he walked all the way over to take a photo of this talented driver. As memory serves, it made the lead photo for an article called "So The Season Went" in Road and Track. Parnelli made it through the pack until a few laps to go he caught up to George. At some point George's shifter either was stuck in one gear or broke off completely . On I believe the last lap, Parnelli passed George and won the race.
In high school I bought my BOSS 302 and made a poster of the photo from Road and Track, it is just that good. Years later a friend set up Parnelli to be a guest at a vintage race and remembered my poster but he took it to a different level and had it digitally scanned of knowing him found the photographer and started from there. He gave me a newer version of the poster and gave me the chance to sit next to Parnelli during all of his autograph sessions. He looked at the photo and signed it "I won that one too". Parnelli went through the entire series of events in that race with me. He said, the drivers today would not know what to do if their right rear wheels would have locked up, they would have left the car there or limped it into the pits and called it quits. Since I grew up driving midgets, we would go around corners on two rims all the time.
I was fortunate to meet Parnelli several times over the years, he was always kind and considerate, but put him in a race car and it would be like a light switch turned on, full competition. That weekend when he was at our local vintage race , it was sponsored by BMW of Seattle, so Parnelli was the pace car in a new top of the line BMW. This was the same car he used throughout the weekend for various purposes, one time he was asked to give a ride to a reporter who was doing a story about the vintage races. When they came back into the pits the reporter made it a few steps out of the car, fell to the ground and promptly threw up.
Parnelli was also reunited with the exact same TA BOSS 302 as in the photo above but obviously beautifully restored, as I remember they allowed him to have a closed course, no other cars , for a few exhibition laps. Well you could hear him hitting the rev limiter all around the track, it sounded great, the shifts were perfect. Rumor had it, the owner of the TA BOSS was very upset and said Parnelli would never drive the car again. Well enough stories for one photo.                 

Wedgeman

Don't forget Mark, at that vintage race at Pacific Raceway..... that later in the day there was a dinner for all the vintage drivers & VIP's over in a big tent, and Parnelli was the guest speaker.  A bunch of us were over in the car display tent, watching over the cars, when in came Parnelli. He sat with us for over an hour telling stories and answering any questions we had. Definitely the highlight of the weekend!... 8)

FL SAAC

Quote from: Hov on April 17, 2023, 11:57:24 AM
This was last race of the 1970 TA season at Riverside. The Championship had already been determined (BOSS 302) at Kent a couple weeks before. This race was nothing much more than a race between Parnelli and George, with nothing on the line. Parnelli was hit on the right side by a Camaro which sent him out into the infield by the time he returned he was in last place. The accident affected his differential, when he would turn to the right, the right rear tire would lock up.  He  solved this issue by pitching the right side of the BOSS up on a berm effectively driving the car around the right turns with only the left two wheels on the ground. This went on for the entire rest of the race. It caught the attention of at least one photographer who was shooting for Road and Track from another part of the track, he walked all the way over to take a photo of this talented driver. As memory serves, it made the lead photo for an article called "So The Season Went" in Road and Track. Parnelli made it through the pack until a few laps to go he caught up to George. At some point George's shifter either was stuck in one gear or broke off completely . On I believe the last lap, Parnelli passed George and won the race.
In high school I bought my BOSS 302 and made a poster of the photo from Road and Track, it is just that good. Years later a friend set up Parnelli to be a guest at a vintage race and remembered my poster but he took it to a different level and had it digitally scanned of knowing him found the photographer and started from there. He gave me a newer version of the poster and gave me the chance to sit next to Parnelli during all of his autograph sessions. He looked at the photo and signed it "I won that one too". Parnelli went through the entire series of events in that race with me. He said, the drivers today would not know what to do if their right rear wheels would have locked up, they would have left the car there or limped it into the pits and called it quits. Since I grew up driving midgets, we would go around corners on two rims all the time.
I was fortunate to meet Parnelli several times over the years, he was always kind and considerate, but put him in a race car and it would be like a light switch turned on, full competition. That weekend when he was at our local vintage race , it was sponsored by BMW of Seattle, so Parnelli was the pace car in a new top of the line BMW. This was the same car he used throughout the weekend for various purposes, one time he was asked to give a ride to a reporter who was doing a story about the vintage races. When they came back into the pits the reporter made it a few steps out of the car, fell to the ground and promptly threw up.
Parnelli was also reunited with the exact same TA BOSS 302 as in the photo above but obviously beautifully restored, as I remember they allowed him to have a closed course, no other cars , for a few exhibition laps. Well you could hear him hitting the rev limiter all around the track, it sounded great, the shifts were perfect. Rumor had it, the owner of the TA BOSS was very upset and said Parnelli would never drive the car again. Well enough stories for one photo.               

Simply fascinating,  thanks for sharing your experience

I have all UNGOLD cars

Side-Oilers

HOV:  Great story, thanks for posting.

I was at that race, with my dad.  Turn Six bleachers, as always.

T/A from 1967-70 was the best racing series ever. 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

FL SAAC

Late 1960s European hill climb possibly N Germany

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Late 1960s European hill climb possibly N Germany

I have all UNGOLD cars