Author Topic: Random car pictures  (Read 716925 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Random car pictures
« Reply #1515 on: September 08, 2019, 12:55:04 PM »

The Cobra Experience Museum purported this as CSX 3232?
Could this be ‘true’? Perhaps a McCluskey??
(this makes the recent beat down of CSX 3016 look mild)

Be interesting if any of the accident history is acknowledged.

The Registry footnotes acknowledge it. People contemplating purchasing a car would be well off reading such footnotes. It might not matter too much to a buyer. People who buy race cars will tell    you that it's the original car after telling you it was rebuilt reconstructed from a bolt and a vin tag.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 08, 2019, 09:11:23 PM »
The folks at The Cobra Experience are well aware of the car's convoluted history, and the questions that remain regarding its VIN. Fortunately they acquired the car for comparatively little money, back in 1991, and did so in order to have a fun "driver" rather than as an investment. :)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 08, 2019, 10:45:40 PM »
If Mike built the car its WAAAY better than an original, but what does it make that car/ A fakie-do,tribute, clone or a better than an original with a real number grafted onto it. :'(

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 09, 2019, 07:19:45 AM »
hold on baby !
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 09, 2019, 08:04:55 AM »
CSX 3232 was my best friend’s brothers car. They lived 5 houses from where I lived growing up. I have history on 3232 along with other photos. Jim Cornell the owner & driver was just 23 yrs old. He bought the car around May of 1968. The accident did indeed happen in the evening of Labor Day weekend August 31st 1968. The wedding was a dry wedding. Jim was a guest at the wedding.The passenger was a guest at the wedding as well and had just bought a new 427 Corvette. He asked Jim to take him for a ride on the Cobra. This was an unfamiliar road with a hard 90 degree left turn, it was not marked well and was said to have loose stone along the roadway. Keep in mind headlights on any car of the 1060’s were not great. The Cobra was traveling at an estimated 90-100 mph. The car slid off the road while entering the curve into one of three tress in a residential front yard. Both occupants were killed instantly.

Two years ago the Cobra came up in conversation with a different friend, he told me his Dad took him and his brother to the wrecking yard where the Cobra was in the fall of 1968 to show them what can happen when speeding. My friend at the time was 13 his brother was driving age. Their Dad’s machine shop was right around the corner from the wrecking yard. Their Dad had spotted the Cobra there. This friend told me the car was in fact in two pieces. This could likely have happened when the car was being pulled out or towed out of the accident scene and or transported to the wrecking yard.

My friend who’s brother owned the Cobra were given a ride when Jim brought the car home from purchasing it. During our summer vacation we would often just hang out in his garage and starts at the Cobra. I remember a set of Blue Dot tires sitting in the garage, a Ford Shifter, and a dual-quad setup on the shelf. The car did indeed have Goodyear Bluestreaks an added fan on the water pump, a Hurst Shifter. A local Corvette shop had added Corvette style side pipes to the car for the previous owner.

This is in fact 3232 in the wreckage photos.

Thanks so much for contributing the info you have to this thread!

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 09, 2019, 12:43:07 PM »

Two young men lost their lives here.
There is something unseemly, if not revulsive, about this opportune cast of characters, their transparent stories and the co-opting of this horrible circumstance for a few shekels and the chance to drive a 'Cobra' on the cheap. All it took was a little 'integrity'.
No one is fooled here.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 09, 2019, 03:02:45 PM »

Two young men lost their lives here.
There is something unseemly, if not revulsive, about this opportune cast of characters, their transparent stories and the co-opting of this horrible circumstance for a few shekels and the chance to drive a 'Cobra' on the cheap. All it took was a little 'integrity'.
No one is fooled here.

They may actually not be related and it may just be a coincidence. There was talk at one time of people creating "air cars".

One of the problems created by the first couple of Registries, the Cobra version in particular, was that "creative individuals or groups" needed to increase the odds of successfully creating a fraudulent car.

There had always been stories of high numbers of Cobras being wrecked, destroyed and disappearing from the Earth. There were no computers that could be tapped into and no such things as the Internet to gain related data from.  The Registry helped in that regards had substantial blank spaces of unknown cars that had not Nationally been heard of since delivered new and enough information of known documented cars to stay away from.

Most of us had heard the stories and we knew it was more then wives tales. What is particularly disturbing to me is when I hear names that I recognize that were highly respected and trusted as experts and by deduction could only have been involved as knowing conspirators?

Now those names can not publicly be mentioned here because they definitely will respond with "defaming" lawsuits asking for some very serious damage amounts.

The Registries have been sued before for various reasons but certainly one of the reasons is because these folks don't like being uncovered as dishonest swindlers. That makes sense.

Read for yourself the footnotes on various cars. Often many names are mentioned.

You can also deduce who is highly likely to have participated in the reconstruction of the cars. There were only a couple of people in the world that could recreate accurately a chassis or a hand formed aluminum shell at the time. I'm sure that legally they had their asses covered but when you are building a car without even an original vin tag...you know.

CSX3232, might just have been a number pulled out of the air, to recreate, encouraged by a 75/25 blank space Registry possibility and the actual wreck not really know of at the time? Is it a changeling? Prove it. The point of the Registry is caution should prevail?

This is just a discussion of what has already been noted in the Registry. Those pictures are the damaging entities. They just focus new light on an old issue.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:14:58 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 09, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with the thought that profiteering from someone else's tragedy is abhorrent. But, as the registrar, I had to subvert that feeling in order to present the facts dispassionately but call a spade a spade where necessary. Yes, it is true that many of the same names seem to crop up when cars are being discussed that were apparently created from nothing more than a missing VIN. I make no excuses for the various owners of these cars; I, as much as anyone, sincerely want to get to the bottom of the questions that surround them. I can offer the fact that one of the names often linked to these cars seems to have been in the high-end automotive insurance appraisal end of the business for many years. As such, would it be unreasonable to think that he could have asked various insurance companies over the years if they had any records of cars with CSX2xxx and CSX 3xxx VINS that might have been declared a "total loss" and if a payout was made accordingly? That would be a great way to learn about Cobras that most likely weren't coming back and a follow-up thought may likely have been: what if we built a new one? Does anyone else think this might have been a component part of the creation of a number of the "air-cars" that are out there?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 09, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »
... I can offer the fact that one of the names often linked to these cars seems to have been in the high-end automotive insurance appraisal end of the business for many years. As such, would it be unreasonable to think that he could have asked various insurance companies over the years if they had any records of cars with CSX2xxx and CSX 3xxx VINS that might have been declared a "total loss" and if a payout was made accordingly? That would be a great way to learn about Cobras that most likely weren't coming back and a follow-up thought may likely have been: what if we built a new one? Does anyone else think this might have been a component part of the creation of a number of the "air-cars" that are out there?

Sure, someone with access to otherwise unobtainable data has an inside edge. So what? What's the penalty?

Under the old registration system a used car can be registered from a bill of sale. Cobras would be very attractive because of that. In NY, that is still the case. Register it here, sell it to another state.

The crime would be in defrauding the State it was being registered in if someone can prove the car is essentially a counterfeit. Good luck on that one.

Who is going to pursue that except a current owner claiming fraud and asking for reimbursement? The only case that I can think of is the Bythewood case. That was pursued by the new owner who thought he bought an SC.

You would need a Federal task force like the RICO squad and they would only be interested in breaking up organized crime.

CSX3232 isn't the only questionable car out there.

Again. The best advice is to read the Registry and be thankful that it is incorruptible. When you see Ned in person, thank him and ask him for his autograph. He eats that up. Don't say anything about Shelbydoug calling him the Scud Missile.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 09, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »
bbq time

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 09, 2019, 08:47:19 PM »
first quickie lube in north america....

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 09, 2019, 09:35:33 PM »
Nice ramp safety.  Was that back when The Duke Boys drove a Shelby? 
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 09, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »
   "Sure, someone with access to otherwise unobtainable data has an inside edge. So what? What's the penalty?"

That's the problem: there is no penalty, as these air-cars were created long ago and the statute of limitations has long expired. But I would like to see the perpetrators - those who committed the original act of creating a car to which they had no legal claim, and then selling it to an unsuspecting buyer - face the music in some manner. They have committed major fraud and screwed over a LOT of people in the process.

"When you see Ned in person, ask him for his autograph. He eats that up."

Simply wrong. Don't.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 10, 2019, 10:12:03 AM »
what is a duke boy ???

Nice ramp safety.  Was that back when The Duke Boys drove a Shelby?

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 10, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
back on topic...found on road dead...

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy