News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Random car pictures

Started by 1109RWHP, January 22, 2018, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69mach351w

Quote from: gt350hr on April 14, 2020, 01:58:25 PM
   Bingo and Bingo.  Ryan and his brother both worked in the SAI engine dept. John Dunn came along a little later and when Shelby Racing Co shut down at the end of the '69 season , they formed Falconer and Dunn Racing Engines. After John departed Ryan continued on it the Salinas Ca area and has now moved to Arizona , still building incredible engines like the Falconer V12. Now let me see if I have $5 and a mask so I can order a cup of coffee.
$5 for a cup of coffee? :o
Surely Randy you have a Mcd's close by ;D

No offense, but I'm old fashion and $5 for a cup o' coffee just beyond me ;)

gt350hr

I get the "senior discount". LMAO I can't believe I have to show my ID to prove it.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

My buddy of 40 years was in Chino Valley a few weeks back.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Fess up who got a ride to the room in this?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

TJinSA

Proof positive a 429/460 fits in a 65/66...

P.s. (I truely wish the sarcasm of my voice could come across.  Recently I was "schooled" a 429/460 and more would fit in a 65/6  without the extensive modifications to the frame andfirewall forward I suggested... They kept a suprisingly large amount of the sheet metal intact as I zoomed in on this photo.  Far more than I'd seen before. I let the lingering distaste get the better of me... my apologies.)
Tom Kubler
6S296

1109RWHP

No, it is a 427 SOHC, not a 429/460.

That car had to have major shock tower reduction.

shelbydoug

Wow, what a monster! That's a 'Cammer.

Most likely it has had the AFX Holman-Moody front shock tower modification done to it. I know of 4 original ones but there were also some privately done in the day. Randy is most likely more familiar with them then me?

The shock towers are cut back in that mod and basically replaced with a steel plate.

It also requires shortened upper a-arms. It is very similar to the Kar Kraft Boss 9 change.

Notice how far forward the nose of the engine is in relationship to the radiator?

I think the number is 3" forward?

When the 'cammers start to rev, you grab your flack jacket, helmet and look for a fox hole to jump into. They sound like a War of the Worlds alien space ship landing?

The timing chain is like 6 feet long and makes a unique sound.

The AFX cars also had the steering arms on the spindles modified (bent) to help them go straight  down the track so driving a real one on the street isn't easy if even possible?

They were intended as dedicated drag race cars so they have no front anti-sway bars. You just point them, try to clear the blurry vision from the vibrations and hold on as best you can. You steer them to center of the track. I say that since I saw quite a few that wanted to run into the safety bariors and the drivers shaking like they just saw their own ghosts at "the end" of the run. The cars were a handful to say the least.

I think that the AFX Mustangs were done at Holman-Moody rather then KarKraft but I'm not certain of that?

The answer is, if you can fit a 'Cammer in then you can fit a 429 in. What you need to do to fit exhaust manifolds in is another story altogether though. Good luck with that one.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

I actually at first thought "Cammer", but I believe its a Boss 429.  Look at the way wider valve covers.
   It was reported that the 65/66 Mustang fastback got squirrely after 145MPH.