News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

8T03J19320502136 on BAT

Started by 5s386, September 19, 2023, 08:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Im think the A pillar padding is not OEM?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

tesgt350

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 20, 2023, 09:07:00 AM
Im think the A pillar padding is not OEM?

I'd say you are correct since it does not have the Dash "Knee Pad" just above the Glovebox and Radio.

shelbymann1970

I really hate when an owner says it is one of the finest. No, it isn't. From the window cranks to the console gauges to the mystery horns to the repo(service?) valve covers and I only glanced through the pics. Pete, can you refresh my memory on pillar pads and the dash knee pad? Was there a changeover period where cars went from having both to just having pillar pads to having neither? Also was it normal on a 68 to have letters like the "H" be that far off? Thanks.
Oh, yeah, the next owner should fix those PS hoses  ;)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

The pins on the H are not symetrical but are close enough to confuse the installer. They easily can be installed upside down causing the H to be out of line.

The pins are also on the fragile side and break easily prying the letters off. Many wind up being stuck on with an adhesive as a result besides the fact that the sockets that install in the fiberglass are just a little bit out of the ordinary and present installation questions to begin with unless you have done several 68 Shelbys before. First time through is just a bit of a challenge to get right.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

The dash/knee pad ended at the end of the 1967 calendar year.

The A pillar pads continued until the last week in February 1968.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 22, 2023, 08:11:06 AM
The pins on the H are not symetrical but are close enough to confuse the installer. They easily can be installed upside down causing the H to be out of line.

The pins are also on the fragile side and break easily prying the letters off. Many wind up being stuck on with an adhesive as a result besides the fact that the sockets that install in the fiberglass are just a little bit out of the ordinary and present installation questions to begin with unless you have done several 68 Shelbys before. First time through is just a bit of a challenge to get right.
Thanks. The barrel clips used for the letters are the same that are used on other Mustangs over the years. On metal cars it's just filing out the paint if it is too thick. Fiberglass it is a little more finesse. I had no problems mounting mine and still have a mylar template where the holes go that I made(few holes filled in). Yeah I now seem to remember the H could be done that way.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 22, 2023, 09:02:33 AM
The dash/knee pad ended at the end of the 1967 calendar year.

The A pillar pads continued until the last week in February 1968.
Thanks Pete.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbydoug

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 22, 2023, 09:25:31 AM

Thanks. The barrel clips used for the letters are the same that are used on other Mustangs over the years. On metal cars it's just filing out the paint if it is too thick. Fiberglass it is a little more finesse. I had no problems mounting mine and still have a mylar template where the holes go that I made(few holes filled in). Yeah I now seem to remember the H could be done that way.

Finesse? Is that what we are calling it today? Those clips were not intended for fiberglass. The retainer is for sheetmetal.

Many if not most will push through when installing the letters.. The person who did that at smith had to be institutionalized as a result.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 22, 2023, 12:09:11 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on September 22, 2023, 09:25:31 AM

Finesse? Is that what we are calling it today? Those clips were not intended for fiberglass. The retainer is for sheetmetal.

Many if not most will push through when installing the letters.. The person who did that at smith had to be institutionalized as a result.
When filing on fiberglass the only term for being careful to me is finesse. There are other ways also to accomplish putting the letter on and staying on. BTW someone filled in all my holes in the front for the thin moldings. It was fun putting those holes back it and I made sure to do before I had the car repainted from green to black.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bigfoot

Can't stand it with those stripes
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bill

Quote from: Bigfoot on September 22, 2023, 09:57:29 PM

Wait till someone tries to peel the vinyl off the paint and the paint comes off with it  ::)

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bill on September 22, 2023, 10:27:14 PM

Wait till someone tries to peel the vinyl off the paint and the paint comes off with it  ::)

Bill

I'm not a stripe guy. Some are just compelled to put them on though. I understand, but I don't understand. The car just stands out without them to begin with.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bill on September 22, 2023, 10:27:14 PM

Bill
Have you ever use one of those stripe remover tools(rotary)? I never had but under warranty back around 2000 the dealer had to "buzz" my high top stripes off and put new ones one. I was told there was a tool that buzzes them off and doesn't hurt the paint but makes a mess. Here is one but off brands as low as 9 bucks on Amazon.  https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-adhesive-eraser-wheel-3612/10070229-p?product_channel=local&store=7211&adtype=pla_with_promotion&product_channel=local&store_code=7211&&&gclid=CjwKCAjwmbqoBhAgEiwACIjzEAqbzqC-FoeSnY6Eax9aFRrfPvm_SnHvJHfZgvfc1R5rM1jK-sYV6RoCb1QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990