News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965 Shelby GT350 /5S227/On Hemmings |

Started by Tinface, September 25, 2023, 11:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinface

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/listing/1965-shelby-gt350-sydney-new-south-wales-2730573

Here's the ad:

DESCRIPTION
Verified by the Shelby American Automobile Club, this iconic Shelby, no 5S227 is one of the 562 built and one of only nine dealer prepared drag race cars of the model year. It was first raced by Mike Gray for it's original owners, Reynolds Ford of Syracuse New York and was given the name "Super Horse"

"Super Horse" competed in both drag and road racing events for over 40 years; it has an authentic and significant racing history. It has also been featured in numerous articles and books over the years. Detailed history and documentation will be forwarded on request.

In 2011, Cobra Automotive of Wallingford Connecticut, fastidiously restored the Shelby for it's new owner and it was superbly finished to it's original race livery. It has not been raced since then.

The new owner imported the newly restored Shelby into Australia in 2012. It was purchased by Ian Cummins in 2015 and has remained part of his cherished collection to this day. During it's time in Australia, it has been used for display purposes only, attracting much attention and admiration. This wonderful motor car has a striking presence, both on a showroom floor and at any historic motoring event.

6s1139

I saw this car at auction in 2017 - Ian was a well known collector in AU, mainly into Jags but also have a collection of shelby's and boss's (one of each)

One interesting story of his - he purchased a D-type (one that had crashed in the Singapore GP) and was told that he would need to send the car back to the UK for repair. Instead, he started a classic restoration shop in Sydney and did the work himself, over his time he actually did resto's on a number of original ones. At the auction they also have one of two replicas he built (the theory was that he needed to tool up for the resto's anyway) for sale, that sold after the auction for around $US300k I think, must admit - the quality and workmanship on these was amazing, you would need to be an expert on them to tell it was not original

Anyway, the 65 was out of my league $ wise and I was there for something else - but for me, it was the first time I had seen a full set for sale (always struck me as odd that it was not moved to Canada for sale given its history)

Pic below of the 65,66 and 70 (and yes, it bugged me that they were not lined up in age order  :))

Link to the 2017 auction - you can see all the cars there - https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2017-shannons-melbourne-summer-classic-auction-featuring-the-ian-cummins-collect/#lot-ZCS97KI9MEACC29C