News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

California looking to restrict driving of classic cars

Started by deathsled, September 26, 2023, 06:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Though I did not author the article, I present it here as it might affect some of you and in the end, all of us.
https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/report-california-looking-restrict-travel-120000026.html
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

crossboss

Gruesome Newsom's perfect utopia. All law abiding, tax paying citizens are fleeing Kommifornia. Let all the whack jobs, illegals, criminals, homeless drug addicts stay. Great job Governor. Another reason not to stay...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Gruesome Newsom is a good one.  Never heard that before.  Classic car owners are the least offensive of anyone out there vis a vis spewing exhaust.  Our cars don't get driven but a few hundred to maybe a couple thousand miles per year.  And there are so few of them.  Hardly chronic offenders.  Maybe banish all the fossil plants that burn coal there to generate electricity for EVs as well?  The only way to fight these creeps is to continually challenge the laws and appeal appeal appeal.  All the way to the Supreme Court of the US if necessary.  But then even when their statute is struck down as unconstitutional they merely pass more legislation with slightly different verbiage.  I still like the State of California in terms of topography and the car culture and some of the people who are "rad and totally chill" so maybe a good solution would be to have an IQ requirement.  You have to be a certain level in order to stay.  Make it like 110 to keep the smarties there and remove the dregs.  But where to put the dregs? 

crossboss

Quote from: deathsled on September 26, 2023, 09:59:37 PM
Gruesome Newsom is a good one.  Never heard that before.  Classic car owners are the least offensive of anyone out there vis a vis spewing exhaust.  Our cars don't get driven but a few hundred to maybe a couple thousand miles per year.  And there are so few of them.  Hardly chronic offenders.  Maybe banish all the fossil plants that burn coal there to generate electricity for EVs as well?  The only way to fight these creeps is to continually challenge the laws and appeal appeal appeal.  All the way to the Supreme Court of the US if necessary.  But then even when their statute is struck down as unconstitutional they merely pass more legislation with slightly different verbiage.  I still like the State of California in terms of topography and the car culture and some of the people who are "rad and totally chill" so maybe a good solution would be to have an IQ requirement.  You have to be a certain level in order to stay.  Make it like 110 to keep the smarties there and remove the dregs.  But where to put the dregs?

Well,
This 'rad and totally chill' Californian got the hell out of there in 2015. California is lost forever. Its the poster child state for all that's wrong...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Sorry to read it. I was there in 1994 to pick up a special red car. Place was beautiful buy then I was only visiting.

tesgt350

Quote from: crossboss on September 26, 2023, 08:50:40 PM
Gruesome Newsom's perfect utopia. All law abiding, tax paying citizens are fleeing Kommifornia. Let all the whack jobs, illegals, criminals, homeless drug addicts stay. Great job Governor. Another reason not to stay...

Another Reason not to even VISIT.

OldGuy

Quote from: tesgt350 on September 27, 2023, 11:46:20 AM
Quote from: crossboss on September 26, 2023, 08:50:40 PM

Another Reason not to even VISIT.

Just think, 'ole Gruesome is in line for POTUS! I'll bet that the line forms for 2024.

shelbydoug

It's overpopulated anyway now. There are better places to be maybe?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

This all stems from when Schumer proposed a tax on classic cars. .gov has been working overtime to increase revenue streams. There will not be "no go" zones since our Constitution allows for free travel instead there will be a toll to drive your dirty old gas burner in "green areas" - you know places where only coal produced electricity is in use.
Link to car tax article in NY Times
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/04/07/nyregion/07-cityroom-times-spoof.html

Hemmings proposed clean air Shelby
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on September 28, 2023, 04:41:54 PM
This all stems from when Schumer proposed a tax on classic cars. .gov has been working overtime to increase revenue streams. There will not be "no go" zones since our Constitution allows for free travel instead there will be a toll to drive your dirty old gas burner in "green areas" - you know places where only coal produced electricity is in use.
Link to car tax article in NY Times
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/04/07/nyregion/07-cityroom-times-spoof.html

Hemmings proposed clean air Shelby

That didn't go far. He responded that he "understood the Classic Car Industry" and that he once owned a 1971 Dodge Dart.

Of my three cars, one has 22,000 mile, one 32,000 and another 34,000. A '67, a '68 and a '73.

You can calculate the amount of pollutants they have contributed to global warming. From a scientific perspective the Big Mac's I've eaten have contributed more. That part isn't even an argument.

It's unlikely a bill like this would ever pass. That is why it is important to vote for representatives that support your views.

Unfortunately the US has a track record of voter turn outs of around 50%. Likely the biggest complainers don't even vote on the subjects. I heard one interviewed that said she never voted. To make her vote would violate her civil rights? Interesting yet disturbing perspective to me.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

TOBKOB

My thoughts on the situation, if you didn't vote or you voted for the current people in charge  "quiturbitchen"... ;D   :(

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 30, 2023, 09:18:59 AM
This all stems from when Schumer proposed a tax on classic cars.

That didn't go far. He responded that he "understood the Classic Car Industry" and that he once owned a 1971 Dodge Dart.

Ahhh Grasshopper - GOTCHA. That article and NY Times page was Rick Kopec's April Fools joke that year. It went like a bonfire world wide and ever since he hasn't produced another 4-1 blast - how do you top perfection.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 02, 2023, 03:51:08 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on September 30, 2023, 09:18:59 AM
This all stems from when Schumer proposed a tax on classic cars.

Ahhh Grasshopper - GOTCHA. That article and NY Times page was Rick Kopec's April Fools joke that year. It went like a bonfire world wide and ever since he hasn't produced another 4-1 blast - how do you top perfection.

Perhaps his joke but the joke was on him because it HAD been talked about.

You can say a lot of things about Shumer. Some of them actually good but one thing is he wasn't and still isn't suicidal. He could never outrun us in that 71 Dart.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Kent

SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

FL SAAC

" California car culture already isn't what it used to be. However, moves like this could accelerate the current trajectory. "

Also they want to pass into law a tax on how many miles a person drives in California.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert