News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct 1968 Antenna

Started by 427heaven, September 26, 2023, 08:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

427heaven

What is the correct radio antenna mounted on rear quarter panel, round or rectangle base ?

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

427heaven

Thanks Charles -and then to make the radio work, what 7 foot cable is needed?

68blk500c

A very hard to find one.  Seriously.

427heaven

Thank you, thats what I was worried about, can it be spliced?

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Coralsnake

Just to be clear, for others that may read this, the antenna was mounted where the receiving dealer decided. It was not always on the quarter panel.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

427heaven

My question was regarding a specific part in a specific location, not what some dealers might have done. Thanks for those who answered the question!

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 27, 2023, 05:57:12 AM
Just to be clear, for others that may read this, the antenna was mounted where the receiving dealer decided. It was not always on the quarter panel.
I'm curious about this.  How did the receiving dealer install the antenna on the car?  Did they just pick a spot, core a hole in the panel and then touch up the damage after?   How would you even core a hole in Ford sheet metal?

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

J_Speegle

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on September 27, 2023, 09:23:25 PM
I'm curious about this.  How did the receiving dealer install the antenna on the car?  Did they just pick a spot, core a hole in the panel and then touch up the damage after?   How would you even core a hole in Ford sheet metal?

Pretty much the typical practice for all new cars though the kit;/antenna for most applications came with a template though not all dealers followed them or the new owner wanted them somewhere else if the car was ordered and the buyer waited for the car to arrive verses it sitting on the lot. Allot of people paid for, ordered and waited for their cars. Typically no touch up to do and they didn't care about the bare metal edge of the antenna hole like they would not today if they did something similar on a new car.

There are bits made for cutting larger holes with a smaller internal longer drill bit to use and start a pilot hole. They were available in the 60's There was also the option and instructions in some to drill a starter (smaller hole) then use a saw to cut the larger hole.

Had one 71 that the dealer placed the antenna on the driers side front fender. Guess that is what the original owner wanted

Examples of Ford templates

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on September 27, 2023, 09:23:25 PM
Quote from: Coralsnake on September 27, 2023, 05:57:12 AM

QSS
The template that came with the antenna in the trunk included a template for the right front fender. As Coralsnake indicated it was up to the dealer to decide wether to put on the driver side rear fender or passenger side front. There are a variety of ways to minimize damage to the paint while drilling a hole for the antenna . even if damage was not addressed the drill hole is smaller then larger circumference of the antenna gasket which effectively covers any damage .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

tesgt350

Quote from: 427heaven on September 26, 2023, 09:17:41 PM
Thanks Charles -and then to make the radio work, what 7 foot cable is needed?

The early 70's Lincoln Continental 4 Door has the long Cable.

Coralsnake

As mentioned earlier, these were not always tasks assigned to the top personnel. Several people who have worked at dealerships, have relayed the drilling of holes was often left to junior employees. They did not always follow directions or use the templates.

I can tell you McCollum Ford mounted many of their antennas on the front fenders. There was a dealership in Canada that often mounted them about four inches rearward of where the template went.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

TOBKOB

QuoteDid they just pick a spot, core a hole in the panel and then touch up the damage after?   How would you even core a hole in Ford sheet metal?

In the early 70's I installed hundreds of antennas on all Mercury styles and never damaged the finish. I used a hole saw for the large hole and a hammer and awl for the screw holes.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: J_Speegle on September 27, 2023, 09:32:51 PM

Pretty much the typical practice for all new cars though the kit;/antenna for most applications came with a template though not all dealers followed them or the new owner wanted them somewhere else if the car was ordered and the buyer waited for the car to arrive verses it sitting on the lot. Allot of people paid for, ordered and waited for their cars. Typically no touch up to do and they didn't care about the bare metal edge of the antenna hole like they would not today if they did something similar on a new car.

There are bits made for cutting larger holes with a smaller internal longer drill bit to use and start a pilot hole. They were available in the 60's There was also the option and instructions in some to drill a starter (smaller hole) then use a saw to cut the larger hole.

Had one 71 that the dealer placed the antenna on the driers side front fender. Guess that is what the original owner wanted

Examples of Ford templates

Good gravy, I've got a whole set of hole coring saws that I use all the time, mostly on wood. I just couldn't imagine taking a hole coring saw to the fender of any car, especially a cool car like a Shelby.   

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.