News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

10 spokes on 68 GT 350?

Started by 66dave284, September 27, 2023, 03:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66dave284

I love the fact that my 68' GT 350 is all original.  Another 68' owner (GT 500KR) told me at a car show last weekend that the 10 spoke wheels on my 68 GT 350 were not the correct "original" wheels.  He also said that all 68's were shipped with "hubcabs".  Is this accurate?  I bought the car in Sept of 1980 and they were on the car when purchased?????????   Please answer question via my email dwalters72@gmail.com.  Thanks,  Dave Walters

Coralsnake

Dave,

I will answer here and send you an email.

Your car show friend is correct. 1968 Shelbys with very few exceptions, were all hubcap cars. The exceptions were export cars. Those were extremely rare.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

tesgt350

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 27, 2023, 04:27:33 PM
Dave,

I will answer here and send you an email.

Your car show friend is correct. 1968 Shelbys with very few exceptions, were all hubcap cars. The exceptions were export cars. Those were extremely rare.

So the 10 Spokes were mostly Dealer Optioned?

Coralsnake

The 1967 version of the ten spoke wheel did not fit over the "new" 1968 calipers without modification. It was not until late 1968 that a new version of the wheel became available.

Its unlikely many 10 spokes were even "dealer" installed.

Owner added is the most likely explanation
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

tesgt350

Quote from: Coralsnake on September 27, 2023, 04:38:26 PM
The 1967 version of the ten spoke wheel did not fit over the "new" 1968 calipers without modification. It was not until late 1968 that a new version of the wheel became available.

That's good to know.  Is it safe to assume that CS had 68 10 Spokes and not 67 on his 69 GT 500?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: tesgt350 on September 27, 2023, 09:30:14 PM
Quote from: Coralsnake on September 27, 2023, 04:38:26 PM

That's good to know.  Is it safe to assume that CS had 68 10 Spokes and not 67 on his 69 GT 500?
Ether later version of tenspoke ,1/4 wheel spacers or modified (ground down) 69 brake calipers. One or a combination of those three..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s2055

Was at Shelby American last year and they had a "restored" '67 GT500. Pointed out to the person doing the tour that I thought the AL wheels were not original as the spokes were not tapered. I believe aftermarket do not have the slight taper. I maybe wrong, but that's what I remember.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s2055 on September 29, 2023, 08:11:37 PM
Was at Shelby American last year and they had a "restored" '67 GT500. Pointed out to the person doing the tour that I thought the AL wheels were not original as the spokes were not tapered. I believe aftermarket do not have the slight taper. I maybe wrong, but that's what I remember.
The original wheels have a taper. There are some later repro will that have a taper also. The back side of a original will be rough casting. All of the repros have a machined back side of rim.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Machining the back of the wheel removes most if not all of the potential interference to the 68 caliper, which I believe is the same as the 69 caliper.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on September 30, 2023, 07:45:45 AM
Machining the back of the wheel removes most if not all of the potential interference to the 68 caliper, which I believe is the same as the 69 caliper.
68 and 69 Mustang /Shelby brake calipers are the same.