News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Installing headers on 67 GT500

Started by shelbydoug, October 05, 2023, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

I have not seen 180° headers for a BB '60's "Mustang". I have seen them for the Boss 302 made by Doug's.

They cross over behind the sump, under the engine. The FE's have the same space available.

I have no intentions of going in that direction.

Hooker does still make a set of "Competition" headers for the FE. Those are 2-1/8" primary tubes and the slip together. The front two tubes on each side go in front of the suspension and under.

They are very visible from the front view of the car and some have described them as "Gorilla knuckles hanging down". They hang "just a little bit too low" for a street car and are thin wall tubes so they run really loud.

There is little point in going through the effort of attempting better breathing then standard headers and better mufflers if you are using any stock heads. The exhausts ports in the heads are too restrictive.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 08, 2023, 01:10:30 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on October 07, 2023, 12:10:34 PM
Thanks Mike. I'm just picking everyone's brain. It looks like we lay them in the chassis engine out, then lower engine to where they can be attached, then finish lowering the engine.

I don't know how easy that will be but likely more doable then other methods.

I am hoping that someone will be able to cross reference that stamping number from an old catalog  but it probably doesn't matter very much at this point.

I don't think that it is possible to get equal length headers in this engine/chassis configuration so I don't see what an economy set would do to change anything.

In addition on FE's the exhaust ports are all the same. They are all, not good which is why many camshafts are ground on 113 degrees instead of 110. So with that in mind, there really isn't anything to be gained with bigger tubes, etc.
The only equal length headers that I have seen were the fender well type. That is not worth doing in your situation IMO. So that you have the maximum header clearance possible you should double check that your shock towers have not sagged in ward any.  I call that big blockitis  ;)  I have always found a easy ruler was a original Ford one piece Shelby export brace that you could set down in place on the shock tower studs without ANY prying etc. If it will drop into place and all bolt holes line up etc. then it is a excellent indications that the shock towers are in the original assembly line position. If they are not I have always used a harbor freight porta power set up to spread the shock towers back into place. FYI although easier with the engine out I have successfully done this with the engine already installed.
Yes Bob, the one piece brace works great. I once bought a 68 Bullitt car(390 4 speed highland green) with out braces on it. I think they "Dukes of Hazard" the car before. My one piece brace didn't come close to fitting. So as a skilled tradesman I got some black pipe, threaded rod, nuts, and did some welding and I had a shock towers expanded back to original position. Of course I had to go beyond the fit for "spring back" but got the towers to fit the one piece brace. Then installed the factory 2 braces. The car was a pretty solid car
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

427heaven

I run Vintage Hookers on 4 of my Big Block cars, The numbers are 6111- 6113 if memory serves me right. The difference is between my 427 Fairlane and my 427 Shelbys. They are tight fitting, you cant install them on the engine and drop it in that wont work. You must either drop the headers in first then drop your engine in or engine first then wiggle jiggle the engine from side to side to get them in place. Then you must begin one of the most grueling tests of will power and patience you will probably ever experience. You must have a GREAT selection of tools from sockets, extensions, open end and box wrenches. Then call up your grand kids or friends with Baby hands not Bear Paws like mine!You will get there or pay a nimble 25 year old to install them, it might be money well spent!

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Jack4159

These are current version hooker supercomps on my KR.I paid my mechanic to put them on, he did it with engine in place but was in a VERY bad mood when i picked the car up and used a lot of swear words to describe the job.

Lincoln tech

Quote from: Jack4159 on October 12, 2023, 01:48:38 PM
These are current version hooker supercomps on my KR.I paid my mechanic to put them on, he did it with engine in place but was in a VERY bad mood when i picked the car up and used a lot of swear words to describe the job.
Looks like he didn't make any money on that job ? Looks good though.

gt350bp

I installed Hooker Super Comps on my 68 KR and the easiest way was as follows:

1.) Leave the engine mounts off the engine.
2.) Lower the engine to about 4-6" above final install location.
3.) Slide the headers in from the radiator opening on both sides.
4.) I used the smaller 3/8" diameter head s.s. header bolts and install gaskets and bolts finger tight. Be sure to check headers, gaskets and bolts fit before dropping the engine down in the engine bay.
5.) Install the engine mounts to the engine.
6) Tighten header bolts.
7.) Lower engine onto mounts and install bolts. If you're using a Genesis S.O. block, one mount has to be altered or the engine will set crooked.

One major complaint on the Hooker Super Comps is that the collectors interfere with the floorboard transmission mount. Headers should have been about 1'+ longer and would not have had to grind the collector for clearance.

Hope this helps.

Don
gt350bp

TA Coupe

Hey Don, how's it going? I see you switched holes where the hook goes for the hoist. Is that necessary or can you just use the rear on for the whole process? What rocker arms are you using?

Take care and be safe, Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

gt350bp

Roy,

Had to switch the balance on the engine to get it to set down in correctly.

The 482 was built by Keith Kraft and he suggested TD rockers, stands and shafts, so that is what I am using. The cam is a solid roller and am very happy with the results. Engine runs and sounds great with the solid lifters.   

Things have been going pretty well here in the swamp, but after 30 years in Florida, I am getting priced out. Insurances and unbridled coastal growth has me looking for cheaper property back up in Western Pennsylvania. I used to live in a town that was considered the best kept secret, but local politicians have let the growth over run the infrastructure. Traffic nightmares, flooding and new apartments and storage facilities on every available space.

Don
gt350bp

BeaterGT500

For what it's worth, we just dropped my 428 in with a pair of JBA stainless Tri-Y headers bolted on. Had to remove the heater box/blower motor and the steering box, and it took a few guys to guide it in without beating up the firewall and towers, but it fit. Just in case you want to change headers, the JBAs are nice and don't hang too low underneath either.
Current custodian of 1967 GT500 #683, and a real Meyers Manx dune buggy. Also currently broke as a result.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: gt350bp on October 13, 2023, 08:17:01 PM
Roy,

Had to switch the balance on the engine to get it to set down in correctly.

The 482 was built by Keith Kraft and he suggested TD rockers, stands and shafts, so that is what I am using. The cam is a solid roller and am very happy with the results. Engine runs and sounds great with the solid lifters.   

Things have been going pretty well here in the swamp, but after 30 years in Florida, I am getting priced out. Insurances and unbridled coastal growth has me looking for cheaper property back up in Western Pennsylvania. I used to live in a town that was considered the best kept secret, but local politicians have let the growth over run the infrastructure. Traffic nightmares, flooding and new apartments and storage facilities on every available space.

Don
gt350bp
I see that in too many places and my city that I have been in for 29 years now is no different. What I don't understand why with all the growth our taxes don't go down?? Instead of woods and farm land it is now 600K to 1 million dollars homes built where there used to be fields so with all that "extra" property taxes on those rezoned subdivisions why have  our taxes never gone down? I wonder the same in Florida with all the million dollar condos on the coasts.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)