News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Checkered Flag for one of the greatest among us-- Randy Gillis

Started by Vernon Estes, October 06, 2023, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vernon Estes

Hey Guys,

A fellow forum member informed me through Facebook this morning that Randy Gillis passed away on October 1st.

There was another thread titled something like "where's Randy Gillis" on which a couple posts were made this week about Randy's passing, however, I feel that a guy like Randy deserves a designated thread where we can all acknowledge and admire the bright light that Randy was in this hobby.

Being a Midwest guy, my chances to spend time with Randy were generally limited to conventions but Randy was always one of the top people I most looked forward to spending a little bit of time with. As a young guy in the hobby, Randy was the most gracious, accepting, enthusiastic, and outright positive guys. He always seemed eager to help me in any way that he could...always wanted to teach...always seemed highly interested in what I was up to in this hobby/business.  That sort of enthusiasm goes a long way for young dudes in an older man's hobby who are trying to find a place within it.

His knowledge of these cars and especially their drivetrains was beyond reproach...but more important was his willingness to share that knowledge with those who sought it. His posts on this forum and the old forum are/were always a treat to read.

He was one of my favorite people in the hobby...I'll miss him greatly.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

silverton_ford

Well said.  I agree.  Randy was a great guy and extremely helpful to anyone.  I bought a few things from Randy over the years through the forum and when I finally met him in person at a Sonoma Convention, it was like we were long lost friends.  I didn't buy anything huge or memorable, I think it was some NOS timing gears or something like that; but Randy instantly remembered my name and where I lived.  That really left an impression on me.  He asked me about my car and how I was coming on it as if we talked just last week.  As a younger-ish guy myself, that really gave me confidence and acceptance to the hobby.  I will always remember that.  Such a great guy.  A tremendous source of knowledge.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones.

2018 SA interview attached.

Grumpy

Wow. I just meet Randy at the NMCA event in Bradenton, Fl. 2 years ago. So sad  :(

FL SAAC

Had a few candid conversations with him / email exchanges, a true no holding back, no hiding behind smokes and mirrors guy.

As I mentioned previously on my reply on March 15, truly going to miss him.

Our sincerest condolences to all  his family and friends. May he rest in peace.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

crossboss

Yes, this is the proper thread to remember a good long time friend, Randy Gillis. Such a loss. Not just to our car community, also to many of us who knew him personally. Awesome guy! A bit of history with me and Randy started way back when I was a 17 year old dumb kid meeting him racing his '66 GT-350 Hertz car @ Terminal Island Raceway aka "Brotherhood Raceway' in Long Beach. I told him I just bought a Boss 302, and he was very humble giving me advise how to build it. He also gave away a few secrets on his engine combo he was running in his Boss powered Shelby. He also ground his 'custom' grind cam for my engine. He will sorely be missed by all of us. RIP, Randy.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

mark p

Yes, 1000% agree about this separate thread. Thanks to Vern for getting it started.

My $0.02 story- I've always figured myselt to be a bit of an outlier on here... I'm on the East Coast, and "only" have a red-headed b@stard step child car (relating to Shelby American).
However, as a long-time saac & forum member - and life-long car enthusist - it was very clear that Randy was "the Man" in terms of powertrain knowledge.
More importantly - beyond that - I could see that he was honest, sincere, helpful, generous, friendly, encouraging, patient, funny, plus always had a level head and a good outlook.
I requested help (via P.M.) from him when working on some Tiger engine upgrades a few years ago... Randy provided suggestions, answered every question and was an immeasurable help. almost finished results shown below prior to re-installation.
As someone said on one of the other threads, it's hard to imagine 5 guys replacing his knowledge and helpfulness.
Godspeed Randy, and prayers to his family and friends.

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

gt350shelb

Very sorry to hear this  Randy was   a wealth of information and  always willing to help everyone.  We had  many conversations regarding  331 347  builds . God speed  Randy .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

jk66gt350

Randy added a wealth of information to this forum and he was very helpful to me personally when I contacted a few times with questions in years past.  A high quality car guy for sure !  RIP Randy.   

brandosaac

yes, a wealth of Ford information !!!
and I just saw him and said hello  2 weeks ago when i picked up my Toploader from being rebuilt.

68blk500c

I first met Randy at a SAAC convention in the very early 2000s (Fontana).  He listened and immediately referred me to others in the metro area for some much needed parts.  After that, he always remembered me and continued to help with knowledge and referrals.
What a legend with his drag '66 GT350!!

Wish I had known him better.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

A wealth of knowledge, a compassionate person who shared. He will be missed
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Rodster-500

QuoteHowever, as a long-time saac & forum member - and life-long car enthusist - it was very clear that Randy was "the Man" in terms of powertrain knowledge.

For sure.... I never meet Randy but could tell his knowledge and enthusiasm was immense.

Didn't he drag race his car from day one?

RIP Shelby brother.  :'(