News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Intake head scratcher

Started by andy1982, October 07, 2023, 10:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1982

Don't want to beat a dead horse with another intake manifold question- stumbled across this and wondered if anyone knows if the passenger side carb opening was factory or did someone take a mill to it at one point in time. seems odd they would've only done one side. I've seen lots of cobra and GT350 intake photos- none look like this. any intel appreciated

Dan Case

Quote from: andy1982 on October 07, 2023, 10:12:19 AM
Don't want to beat a dead horse with another intake manifold question- stumbled across this and wondered if anyone knows if the passenger side carb opening was factory or did someone take a mill to it at one point in time. seems odd they would've only done one side. I've seen lots of cobra and GT350 intake photos- none look like this. any intel appreciated

As far as I know, not a Ford or Shelby modification. Shelby American use to spot face two places to make narrow balance passages between sides 1964-67 for race modified 4V intakes.

Factory race prepared COBRA intake carburetor base mount modification.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

pbf777

I've seen quite a number of these intakes with the modification exactly as the one presented; too many I think, for it to have been just happenstance executions by several different practitioners.   :)

Scott.   

sg66

327 Corvettes were using that design in the mid 60's. The belief is that it helped balance airflow https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/can-a-chevy-guru-explain-this-intake.993035/

pbf777

I think rather than so much being a modification for simply "balancing the flow", the intention is to lesson the separate specific cylinder pulses within each of the otherwise separate 180 degree plenum sections, this having more to do with "carb-signal"; and along with an increased volume being tapped for greater potential flow capacity, this with the sharing of the left & right plenum areas somewhat. 

And the fact that it was just a quick and cheap process that even if not ideal did lend potentially something positive in the search for improved performance.   :)

Scott.

roddster

Andy is here because I suggested the Saacforum when I saw these photos on the Vintage Mustang Forum.  Just waiting to see what can be learned here in relationship to this.