News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Need help from the experts - 68 steel wheel ID

Started by Bossssssss, October 07, 2023, 01:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bossssssss

Looking to ID steel wheels.

I have 3 steel wheels. Not 100% sure what they are.

All are 15X6 and have the Ford bolt patten.

All 3 wheels each have four 'knobs' and four 'vent holes'.

All 3 wheels have FoMoCo in script stamped into them near the lug nut holes.

Two have 'Made in CANADA' and one has 'Made in U.S.A'. inscribed in the rim shell where the air would be.

The two that are made in Canada have

K2

adjacent to the valve stems and:

one has '2' and '14' '6' stamped into it near the valve stem (on either side of it)
one has '2' and '15' '6' stamped into it near the valve stem (on either side of it)

The one made in USA has:

K3

and has '5' and '26' stamped into it near the valve stem hole (on either side of it).

All three of them have the 68 Shelby hubcaps that are on them. So I think they may be 68 Shelby but not sure.

Can anyone help me ID these rims?

TIA

Coralsnake

From your description they sound correct.

Here is a thread with some pictures:

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1473.0
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bossssssss

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 07, 2023, 01:58:14 PM
From your description they sound correct.

Here is a thread with some pictures:

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1473.0

Thank you for the link to that tread. I read where they are supposed to have round center holes just under 2.5 inches, so I checked mine and all three are round and just under 2.5 inches.

Just another question that I am hoping you can confirm (or not): So some of these rims were made in Canada and some were made in USA?

Thanks again

TLea

I believe the K28 are original Shelby wheels, but the K38 are not. Having said that it's probably identical wheel, except for the stampings so once the hubcap was on, no one would know.

Bossssssss

Quote from: TLea on October 07, 2023, 02:51:18 PM
I believe the K28 are original Shelby wheels, but the K38 are not. Having said that it's probably identical wheel, except for the stampings so once the hubcap was on, no one would know.

Thank you.
Do you have any idea what the K38 wheel made in USA originally came on (since/if not an original Shelby wheel)?

thank you again

Coralsnake

Probably something like a Country Squire wagon?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Scott Fuller

A K3 wheel was made in Philadelphia and K2 are Windsor Ontario Canada.  Without a doubt most of the 1968 Shelby wheels were K2.  Not to say that maybe a K3 didn't make it in from time to time.  There were also K1 plants and K4.  K is for Kelsey Hayes, and number is plant code.

Scott Fuller

Bossssssss

Quote from: Scott Fuller on October 08, 2023, 12:49:30 PM
A K3 wheel was made in Philadelphia and K2 are Windsor Ontario Canada.  Without a doubt most of the 1968 Shelby wheels were K2.  Not to say that maybe a K3 didn't make it in from time to time.  There were also K1 plants and K4.  K is for Kelsey Hayes, and number is plant code.

Scott Fuller

Thank you for the additional information!