News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Leaking Holley Carb

Started by Steve Meltzer, October 09, 2023, 09:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Meltzer

The pro who checked out my KR before the purchase, said the power valve in the primary bowl was leaking. Having replaced these and the gaskets on Corvettes (4160), I felt confident I could do this with ease....but, not so fast big boy. I replaced the PV and its gasket, carb started leaking immediately. New A-pump diaphragm (i thought it was leaking from there). No bueno. New metering block gaskets, both sides, still leaking.  If you put fuel down the venturi orifice to fill the bowl...key OUT of the ignition...fuel leaks immediately.I've never had this sort of trouble with these carbs in the past. When I pull the bowl and metering block the next time, it will be my 7th time.

Now, I'm thinkin' that this is a carb body problem...warped surface, or ?? But, and I don't see how, could a bad PV give these symptoms? (Car not running.). The car "dieseled" at shut off, when I drove it, but apparently not at the PPI, or they missed it.

What is the correct PV for a Holley double pumper, List 4174 on a KR? Does it have 2 rectangular fuel slots or multiple drilled holes? What is the best way to test a PV?
Lastly should I just replace the bowl and the metering block or, does the metering block authenticate anything and I should see if anyone can straighten it? (i think it says "6673")

thanx steve

Lincoln tech

I have never seen power valve leak externally they tend to leak internally causing rich mixture at idle , I assume that your leak is external ? using a small mirror to pinpoint location may help to locate the exact point of leak . Maybe power valve housing is damaged ?

Royce Peterson

Drew P or any carb rebuilder can fix the problem easily. If you can't work on carbs you need a professional.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bill Collins

I have experienced Holley "phantom leaks" in the past that were the result of the primary throttle shaft bore in the base plate being worn to the point that the fuel leaks from the throttle bores along the shaft to the outside of the carb. Tried a bushing kit repair without satisfactory results. This fix is best left to a professional.
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

98SVT - was 06GT

Here is the list that has all the parts for each carb - lots of info on the Holley site spend some time there.

https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pdf

List of Holleys used on Fords

https://www.mustangtek.com/4150/holley4150.html
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Steve Meltzer

thanx guys. the leak is on the right side of the carb's 1° bowl. are metering blocks dated? thanx again. s

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on October 09, 2023, 12:09:39 PM
thanx guys. the leak is on the right side of the carb's 1° bowl. are metering blocks dated? thanx again. s
No the metering blocks are not dated just typically have specific identification number for a particular carb
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JohnSlack

Steve Meltzer

I don't know with certainty, but if the metering block is warped, why not just replace it? Pretty easily done without pulling the carb, sending it out with all of the small, but undeniable risks associated? thanx steve

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on October 10, 2023, 08:21:46 AM
I don't know with certainty, but if the metering block is warped, why not just replace it? Pretty easily done without pulling the carb, sending it out with all of the small, but undeniable risks associated? thanx steve
FYI the specific numbered metering blocks (front and back are typically different) depending on the carb can be extremely rare so replacing one can be problematic.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve Meltzer

Bob, thanx so much...i found that out this AM! looks like i'll need to have it straightened out. s

Peter L.

I wouldn't be too worried about the correct numbers for the metering blocks since the OP stated that it was a double pumper. Not the correct carb to start with anyway. If you are going to stick with this carb, the previous suggestions are all good ideas, and some a relatively easy fix.
  The C8 cobra jet carbs are $$$, but you should be able to find a reasonable C9 735cfm replacement carb.
Personally I've never had much luck with double pumpers other than in a drag application.
Try some of the previous suggestions, I'm sure one of them will do the trick.
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Lincoln tech

Warped metering block ? I doubt that considering the thickness of the block . You need to find out where the leak is coming from and take it from there.

Steve Meltzer

Thanx again, guys! Peter L., not being as familiar with these carbs as I hope to be, help me to decode mine, b/c i thought it was correct.
All numbers, etc are cast/raised, not stamped/engraved.
C30F-9510-AA (is this Ford part number?)
List-4174 (double pumper, 4150 and correct from what I've read. No?)
854 (May 4, '68)

thanx again. taking notes to learn.
Newbie, steve meltzer