News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Leaking Holley Carb

Started by Steve Meltzer, October 09, 2023, 09:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on October 10, 2023, 10:34:20 AM
Thanx again, guys! Peter L., not being as familiar with these carbs as I hope to be, help me to decode mine, b/c i thought it was correct.
All numbers, etc are cast/raised, not stamped/engraved.
C30F-9510-AA (is this Ford part number?)
List-4174 (double pumper, 4150 and correct from what I've read. No?)
854 (May 4, '68)

thanx again. taking notes to learn.
Newbie, steve meltzer
You mis read the engineering number which is C8OF . Yes it is for C =1960's and the 8 is for the year in the 60's . It is not a double pumper.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Lincoln tech

Thanx again, guys! Peter L., not being as familiar with these carbs as I hope to be, help me to decode mine, b/c i thought it was correct.
All numbers, etc are cast/raised, not stamped/engraved.
854 (May 4, '68)

thanx again. taking notes to learn.
Newbie, steve meltzer
C3OF would mean 1963 ????

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Peter L. on October 10, 2023, 10:11:24 AM...... since the OP stated that it was a double pumper. Not the correct carb to start with anyway.
Light bulb moment - why aren't we looking at the accelerator pump diaphragm?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

That list number corresponds to the 428 CJ / 4 speed carburetor
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Lincoln tech

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 10, 2023, 10:58:03 AM
Quote from: Peter L. on October 10, 2023, 10:11:24 AM...... since the OP stated that it was a double pumper. Not the correct carb to start with anyway.
Light bulb moment - why aren't we looking at the accelerator pump diaphragm?
Now those I have seen leaking , should be easy to diag since it looks like he has the carb removed . I still don't get how the inspector saw the power valve leaking ??? I think he meant accelerator pump , something is fishy here .

Royce Peterson

854 (May 4, '68)

The picture clearly shows the numbers to be C8OF 9510-AA.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Peter L.

That is indeed the correct carb for a Cobra Jet. Perhaps you were referring to the fuel transfer line on the right side of the carb. Common mistake. A 'double pumper' would have an accelerator pump on the rear bowl as well.
As I posted earlier, that is a $$$ carb, and definately worth repairing correctly.
  Good luck!
KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

Steve Meltzer

Gawd I hate the taste of crow before noon! Clearly i saw the 2° metering block and the fuel transfer line and (never having had a Holley other than 4160s) I assumed there was a second A-pump. The 2° metering block makes it a 4150, right? Or do I have that wrong as well?
Maybe my X-wife was right: it's a wonder I made it this far in life w/o her! thanx again. steve

Steve Meltzer

Oh yeah...and two more things 1) I did think it was leaking from the A-pump diaphragm, and replaced it. Confident now, it's not leaking from there. B) How did the inspector know/think the leak was from the PV? Beats the feces out of me, as you can't see the PV in the bowels of the metering block. When queried about just that, he said "b/c that's a common site for Holley leaks". s

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on October 10, 2023, 03:14:01 PM.....How did the inspector know/think the leak was from the PV? ....he said "b/c that's a common site for Holley leaks". s
One sneeze (backfire) can kill the power valve. About 10 years ago Holley came up with a fix and has used it since them. You can modify the older carbs with their kit. https://www.holley.com/products/tools/carburetor_tools/parts/25-100QFT

Royce Peterson

I've been working on Holley carbs for 50 years and have yet to see a blown power valve. It seems to be something that happens a lot on the internet.

I have occasionally seen power valves that have rotted out from age. In those cases I was rebuilding the carburetor anyways and the power valve was headed for the trash can.

Fuel leaks externally could be from a half dozen places. The transfer tube and it's bowl adapters, metering block or bowl gaskets, and the eight gaskets on the bowl screws. A carburetor that expensive deserves special care from someone who knows what they are doing.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Lincoln tech

Quote from: Royce Peterson on October 10, 2023, 03:55:04 PM
I've been working on Holley carbs for 50 years and have yet to see a blown power valve. It seems to be something that happens a lot on the internet.

I have occasionally seen power valves that have rotted out from age. In those cases I was rebuilding the carburetor anyways and the power valve was headed for the trash can.

Fuel leaks externally could be from a half dozen places. The transfer tube and it's bowl adapters, metering block or bowl gaskets, and the eight gaskets on the bowl screws. A carburetor that expensive deserves special care from someone who knows what they are doing.
You took the words right out of my mouth  ;D They also sell a power valve block off plug.

trotrof1

+1 on the bowl screw gaskets. You might need to wipe dry the bowl assembly well and scrutinize closely to catch it.

98SVT - was 06GT

It happens or they wouldn't have made the change. I popped one way back when. I had the timing way off during the start of a fresh 440 for my Road Runner almost lost my eyebrows on that one. But maybe a Ford won't sneeze hard enough.......

shelbydoug

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on October 10, 2023, 05:02:44 PM
It happens or they wouldn't have made the change. I popped one way back when. I had the timing way off during the start of a fresh 440 for my Road Runner almost lost my eyebrows on that one. But maybe a Ford won't sneeze hard enough.......

Not only does it happen but it happens quite often, not on my internet, on my Holleys. Consider yourself fortunate. ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!