News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 Shelby rear panel screws

Started by shelbydoug, October 11, 2023, 08:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Are the black screws that hold the rear fiberglass taillight panel in place "black stainless"? Are they truss head or something else?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Wo! Mine were black, like the current black stainless. they were put away in a safe place but no one remembers where that safe place is? Too safe.

I remember the heads. Philips pan head or truss heads. Leave it for me to have something not of the ordinary. Maybe I found them and they weren't as remembered? Ah. Misery.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

If you are referring to the tail light panel.. the screws used were a self drilling phillips screw with a molded washer head.

Black oxide and silver zinc were used throughout production.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 11, 2023, 05:24:24 PM
If you are referring to the tail light panel.. the screws used were a self drilling phillips screw with a molded washer head.

Thank you. To your knowledge is the black v. silver random or specific to build date groups?

My black ones had a sheen to them unlike the flat black on chassis parts and bolts and no apparent corrosion. That's why I thought they might be black stainless?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 11, 2023, 05:24:24 PM

Couple of unrestored examples to illustrate finish and shape of the screw heads. Zinc ones are pretty shinny but not sure how often they have been rubbed and cleaned over the years. Seen allot more of the dark ones

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

Be careful Mr Speegle you will be accused of being a self appointed authority if you share too much 😂 LOL
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on October 14, 2023, 06:58:57 AM
Be careful Mr Speegle you will be accused of being a self appointed authority if you share too much 😂 LOL

Been accused of much worst. Never convicted  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Steve Meltzer

There are 2 ? fiberglass or fiberboard pieces (one on each side) that cover the taillight/brake/turn signal bulb housings INSIDE the trunk. One abuts the spare tire. The repros I got from Parts Depot are black, but the one i have remaining on my KR is grey. Which is correct? thanx steve

J_Speegle

Quote from: Steve Meltzer on October 16, 2023, 09:30:59 PM
There are 2 ? fiberglass or fiberboard pieces (one on each side) that cover the taillight/brake/turn signal bulb housings INSIDE the trunk. One abuts the spare tire. The repros I got from Parts Depot are black, but the one i have remaining on my KR is grey. Which is correct? thanx steve

Well sort of both, with explanation  They were black then painted/coated on the interior side with gray paint.

An original example that I hope will help. Choose this one to show the coated side and the base material

Bob Gaines

I thought " https://www.deadnutson.com/ " sold the gray panels but none show on his website anymore. You might call to be sure because it would certainly be the best alternative IMO. If he doesn't you will have to modify the black ones to make them look more authentic. . The repro material is not near the same as the original which was water resistant and had a smooth non porous surface unlike the rougher black paper that has a somewhat furry to the touch surface. You need to seal it with some coats of grey filler primer and do sanding between coats so that if is smooth when you lay down the final finish of grey so that your new pair match's the one panel that still exists in your trunk. After the final coat I use a semi gloss clear to complete the process to mimic the finish on the originals. I hope this helps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Steve Meltzer

thanx, Bob. nothing is ever as easy as it should be. s

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on October 16, 2023, 10:38:11 PM
I thought " https://www.deadnutson.com/ " sold the gray panels but none show on his website anymore. You might call to be sure because it would certainly be the best alternative IMO. If he doesn't you will have to modify the black ones to make them look more authentic. . The repro material is not near the same as the original which was water resistant and had a smooth non porous surface unlike the rougher black paper that has a somewhat furry to the touch surface. You need to seal it with some coats of grey filler primer and do sanding between coats so that if is smooth when you lay down the final finish of grey so that your new pair match's the one panel that still exists in your trunk. After the final coat I use a semi gloss clear to complete the process to mimic the finish on the originals. I hope this helps.
I got a pair from DNO but they have a "reverse" bend I have not gotten out yet. I haven't tried. Thanks for the tip as I have 1 original panel from my car and I'll try and duplicate the finish on it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

My panels were always black. I thought that the grey paint was only a 69-70 thing?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on October 17, 2023, 09:12:02 AM
My panels were always black. I thought that the grey paint was only a 69-70 thing?
Scroll down on the link to see the trunk protectors.   http://www.thecoralsnake.com/TEAM.html
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

WT6066-2600

Here's an old set of trunk taillight panels, assume they could be original