News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Ray Brown Seat Belts?

Started by 5s127, October 11, 2023, 11:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5s127

Has anyone seen seat belts like these? Similar to the Ray Browns but very different where they attach to the car.

deathsled

Wild guess here but for aircraft?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Greg

That looks like the type that is in my airplane.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Vernon Estes

Just bought a 66 that has these belts on the drivers side and American Safetys on the passenger side.

I know we have hashed out seat belts before on another thread...but i have recently been seeing American Safetys in an awful lot of early 66 Shelbys lately. Starting to make me wonder if there is more to learn here.
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

s2ms

Quote from: Vernon Estes on October 12, 2023, 06:20:46 PM
Just bought a 66 that has these belts on the drivers side and American Safetys on the passenger side.

I know we have hashed out seat belts before on another thread...but i have recently been seeing American Safetys in an awful lot of early 66 Shelbys lately. Starting to make me wonder if there is more to learn here.

Hi Vern,

Did the belts in the 66 you just bought have the same floor attachment hardware shown in the original post?  I've never seen those on original belts...

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Vernon Estes

Quote from: s2ms on October 13, 2023, 12:12:36 AM
Quote from: Vernon Estes on October 12, 2023, 06:20:46 PM

Hi Vern,

Did the belts in the 66 you just bought have the same floor attachment hardware shown in the original post?  I've never seen those on original belts...

Thanks,
Dave

Sorry for the confusion... yes, the drivers side belt in the car has the same attaching hardware as what is pictured but I was not meaning to imply that I felt that they were original to the car.

I was more referencing the passenger side belt which is am American  Safety belt.

In researching 6S750 (has matching American Safety belts in it) for its restoration I just so happened to know the owners of 2 other cars which were right around the same SFM number. When the subject of seat belts came up in conversation...both of the other owners said their cars had American Safety belts just like what I had sent them a picture of...they said they got rid of them in favor of ray browns because that's what everyone said belonged in the cars.  Just bought another considerably earlier 66 and it has an American safety on the passenger side.

I've discussed the topic of American Safety belts with a very well known 65-66 restorer and he claims unequivocally that American Safety belts came in 66s from new but that the theory that all early cars had Ray browns is so prevalent that it probably wasn't worth the fight  ;D I guess, at this point, I am at least open to hearing from people who have cars which have correctly dated American Safety belts in their cars.  It seems incredibly coincidental that, in my very limited research on the topic, that a sample of 5 "early" 66s would had happened to have owners who all replaced their lap belts with the EXACT same American Safety model, finish, etc when there was so much choice out there for racing belts at the time...let alone choices of more "stock" type replacements. Add to that...American Safety, Ray Brown, and Impact were all mfg'd by the same company, right?

Not meaning to stir the pot...just throwing it out there.

Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

s2ms

Thanks Vern. I've seen a few later cars past 1700 that have original Ray Brown's, IMO this is a pot that needs to be stirred. From what I've observed, 66 belts were more variable and random than 65's.
Dave - 6S1757

daltondavid

Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM