Author Topic: Starter Solenoid Goop color  (Read 5902 times)

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Starter Solenoid Goop color
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:24:59 AM »
Hi all and welcome back!  I was going to add some color to the top of my solenoid like some of you have done.  One guy used Testors paint color and another had some insulation varnish from MG Chemicals [I did save that link].  However, I am looking to duplicate it with the Testors color.  Will the dude that did in please let me know the color???

Thanks again,

Steve
SFM 6S406

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Solenoid Goop color
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »
Gyptal paint is what I think you are looking for.  Brian on the old forum had a link and info on that maybe he can repost.

It is easy to mix up the small amount of the Testors' paints (if you have some) you need for the top of the starter solenoid.  It is an odd red, need some red, white and maybe a bit of brown.  Or you can buy some but you'll have a 10 lifetime supply.

Also, the top of the rivet shouldn't have much/any on it as that was added after the paint daub which it there to seal around the rivet.

Hope this helps,
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
This stuff.
"red insulating varnish".....do a few searches on that.   Find the smallest amount for the cheapest price and have it shipped.

http://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Paints-Coatings/Inks-Tints-Varnishes/Varnishes/4228-55ML-33018?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3K3sw-zG1wIVFJ7ACh1qpAL0EAQYAiABEgK-kPD_BwE
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:11:36 AM »
Thanks all.  Yes, it was Shelby Dream who posted in version 1.0.  Here is a picture I downloaded from the old version.  Hopefully, Brian shall comment with the Testors color he used.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 08:12:46 AM »
I found MORE pictures on the subject!  Enjoy!

Steve
SFM 6S406

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »
More again as EASY to post pictures now!  I think in this picture too much goop was used!

Steve
SFM 6S406

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:17:55 AM »
You mean it is SUPPOSED to look like that? Dam! :-[
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
The amount varied but that one in the picture too much IMO. The glyptal was added to the underside of the rivet and it squeezed out when the rivet was set. That is the process just a little around the edge is all you need and is more typical but it varied.  I just use a little around the edge of the rivet is what I do when I do it.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »
More again as EASY to post pictures now!  I think in this picture too much goop was used!

Steve

Ok, in my defense, that was my first attempt.   :o  It is the right stuff to use, and I did redo it to be more correct.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 05:46:25 PM »
I believe the unit was turned upside done to rivet or to install the insides which would explain the reason why occasionally the top of the rivet head was covered with a very thin layer of sealer. If turned up side down I could envision some excessive sealer oozing out and migrating under the rivet head as the unit was being completed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »
I believe the unit was turned upside done to rivet or to install the insides which would explain the reason why occasionally the top of the rivet head was covered with a very thin layer of sealer. .............

Another possibility is that the sealer in other locations may have been the sealer left in the press from the last unit that was in the press. Just a possibility
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »
If solanoids were produced both with and without goop expressed out from under the rivet, then would both types be concours acceptable? In other words, presented either way is acceptable?
1966 GT350 6s1761

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
If solanoids were produced both with and without goop expressed out from under the rivet, then would both types be concours acceptable? In other words, presented either way is acceptable?
It is not a matter of with or without sealer because the sealer was part of the assembly process. It is a matter of how much and how it is applied.

EdwardGT350

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »
bob, are we assuming the goop always leaked out? no clean rivet solenoids were produced?
1966 GT350 6s1761

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 10:57:06 PM »
I think that goes into the anything is possible column . It is more typically that at least some trace around the edge can be seen. Given that it was supposed to be used the absence of any sealer would call into question of if it was cleaned off for some unknown reason or by mistake forgotten during factory assembly. Ether way is not typical.