News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'68 W code?

Started by Peter L., October 25, 2023, 08:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter L.

A friend of mine claims to be looking at a '68 Mustang 'W' code 427. I didn't think there was such a thing. I personally know of a W code '68 Cougar, but I'm not sure of the Mustang. Was such a car ever built? 

KR 4052
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

KR500

He is going to be looking a long time. Unicorn! Cougar yes, Mustang NO! Ford never made one, although early on (pre-production I believe it was listed as an option in the Mustang sales information ) but that never became available.
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

shelbydoug

The evidence is that the W '68 427's were Cougars.

Years ago John Paradise, the person who started the "Super Ford" magazine told me that he had several W Cougars, but did not specifically define that.

He had been approached by someone who said that they had a W Mustang but he had not seen it yet.

That was around 1975. So far, to my knowledge, none have been documented in the Marti reports. The suspicion then was that the engine code had been changed on any Mustangs claiming them.

Many states, including New York did not have Titles until 1973, so cars could be registered with proof of possession, like a bill of sale, so there was no way to document what actually had been built by Ford until Kevin Marti got access to Ford's build records.

If you are looking to purchase a '68 W code Mustang, use caution armed with this information.

I believe that I asked Marti this question of W Mustangs and to the best of my memory he said "there were none showing in the records".
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Peter L.

That Motortrend article is referring to the 'W' axle code for 4:30 rear gear cars. My post is about W engine code (427) for '68.
  Sorry for the confusion.
KR 4052

Peter L.

What about Ford of Canada built cars?
KR 4052

shelbydoug

Quote from: Peter L. on October 25, 2023, 09:56:07 AM

I don't think that there were Canadian built Mustangs in 1968. I think that the Windsor Ford plant was for building engines, not complete assemblies?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

Quote from: Peter L. on October 25, 2023, 09:56:07 AM

The records show that no 427 powered were built in any model year Mustang or Shelby Mustang at any factory worldwide. Shelby took orders and built two that came from Ford with 428 engines in 1967.

Any W code you see that is not a 1968 Cougar is a fake.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Peter L.

OK guys, thanks. As I said in my OP it's a friend of mine who is looking at said car.
I'll pass on the information and tell him to be wary of a fake.
   Thanks again for the info.    Pete.
KR 4052

Royce Peterson

Quote from: Peter L. on October 25, 2023, 12:16:27 PM
  OK guys, thanks. As I said in my OP it's a friend of mine who is looking at said car.
I'll pass on the information and tell him to be wary of a fake.
   Thanks again for the info.    Pete.

There are some fairly clever fakes. Check out this fake:
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Coralsnake

No knowledgable Mustang person is going to tell you a "W" engine code exists in the vintage Mustang line up.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com