News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1965 Brake Drums and 65/66 Backing Plates ???

Started by Kent, October 26, 2023, 03:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbf777

O.K. so it's not "correct", but just put the wheel on and nobody will see the extra holes in the face of the drum!  ;)  They're a wear item, so if you drive and enjoy your vehicle you'll wear them out anyway (hopefully these are usable?) and in the future be tossing them.   :)

Now, if you still have the "original" tires mounted................   ::)

Scott.

roddster

Often enough I see drums for sale here and on Ebay.  How about making certain the inside diameter of the drum does NOT exceed the factory limit by posting the measurement.  Most any quality Muffler and brake place will have a drum claliper to do this.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: pbf777 on November 16, 2023, 11:36:25 AM
     O.K. so it's not "correct", but just put the wheel on and nobody will see the extra holes in the face of the drum!  ;)  They're a wear item, so if you drive and enjoy your vehicle you'll wear them out anyway (hopefully these are usable?) and in the future be tossing them.   :)

Now, if you still have the "original" tires mounted................   ::)

Scott.
The discussion has to do with a part that is assemblyline correct for a potential 400K+ 65 GT350 and not a every day driver. All things being equal the parts that go into that 400K+ car greatly help determine its potential value with the more well done and correct typically commanding the highest price . By your logic then the nubs which in this case are a defining assemblyline factor would not be relevant ether because they are not seen once a wheel and tire mounted. That is when you get into the realm of what will work and vs. what is assemblyline correct.  Every aspect of the part helps determine its market value by informed buyers.  There are other drum alternatives that will work but they will most likely not have the same value as a assemblyline part relevant to a specific model. With all that said obviously Kent is trying to get a  market value for the drums as it relates to " seen exactly the same ones on Ebay a while ago for sale for a extreme high price". In this case the condition of the drum as it pertains to the assemblyline originality aspect along with mechanical functionality has a direct correlation with market value regardless if seen or not.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

pbf777

Quote from: Kent on October 28, 2023, 03:01:05 AM
If someone has 2 drums for my 67 GT500 and the backing plates we also can talk about a trade.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 16, 2023, 02:23:54 PM
.............,obviously Kent is trying to get a  market value for the drums ....................

And yes Bob I understood all of that, and I was attempting to participate in his effort to establish the value of his drums, even if not "assembly line correct", this in that apparently other than the "holes" that I was pointing out wouldn't be seen on an assembled vehicle (I'll bet if one were looking hard enough, though could establish the presents of the "nubs" or not?  :-\)  and that otherwise they would present a proper appearance, and more than usable (If in good condition), and are a perishable item in the end anyway.  All of this perhaps being considered when one attempts to establish the value.  :)

And yes, I do understand such intentions, as over the years we have had customers wanting "date code correct" (they were stamped on the back!  ;)) bearings utilized in their "restored" engines!   Of course, I do remind them: who's gonna look?  ::)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

Certainly worth the trouble to fix all other things being equal . If the lining is not within specs there are people who can reline a otherwise good condition drum but all of these steps have significant costs which would have to be taken into consideration when trying to determine a market value or when a buyer was making a informed decision to buy. Just my 2 cents.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

I know it's difficult with all these old parts and building something to concours. What really sucks is that this is not the first time that someone from the forum did send me wrong stuff. I bought them in 2020 I think and it was claimed for a 67 and that's what I received. I maybe don't tell what I have paid for the stuff.

So at the moment I just have one backing plate for my 67 9" rear end I want to restore. Who can help me out with the drums and the missing backing plate?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68