News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

69 GT500 front end height

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, October 27, 2023, 08:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I'm not certain, but I "feel" that my front end height may not be correct at 29 1/2". I rebuilt the car with the front springs that came in the car, BUT the motor was not in at the time. I do know that I had a lot of difficulty (after the motor was installed) in getting the shocks attached.  I did NOT measure the unloaded spring height before installing them. I would like your thoughts, and correct measurements, if you would, PLEASE.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on October 27, 2023, 08:46:58 AM
I'm not certain, but I "feel" that my front end height may not be correct at 29 1/2". I rebuilt the car with the front springs that came in the car, BUT the motor was not in at the time. I do know that I had a lot of difficulty (after the motor was installed) in getting the shocks attached.  I did NOT measure the unloaded spring height before installing them. I would like your thoughts, and correct measurements, if you would, PLEASE.
Keep in mind that it is not uncommon to find that the front end has settled or lowered AFTER being driven and bounced around on a city street . If you have not done this yet I would suggest doing that before making any height adjustments(cutting coils) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

Thanks Bob for the reminder.  I did take it for a drive, for that purpose.  Do you know what the clearance height should be? Do you know the spring height for my springs I was looking in Branda's catalog, and on pages 49 & 50 (Shelby side) there is a segment, by Jeff Bruce, on lowering the A-Arms, and it does specify that it can be performed on the 69 model.  Have you (or anyone else) ever accomplished this mod?

shelbymann1970

Got pics also? I have pics of my old GT500 from 1984 with the original springs front and back in it  with 44K miles on it. I got pics of my Vert when it was basically brand new in 1971 to compare ride height. Osborne assy manuals will give you the correct front height. Since Shelbys used diff springs in 1969 I cannot tell you the difference only show you pics. My cars have always settled some after they were put back together. There is a system to installed rear leafs also called out in the shop manuals.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on October 27, 2023, 11:38:04 AM
Thanks Bob for the reminder.  I did take it for a drive, for that purpose.  Do you know what the clearance height should be? Do you know the spring height for my springs I was looking in Branda's catalog, and on pages 49 & 50 (Shelby side) there is a segment, by Jeff Bruce, on lowering the A-Arms, and it does specify that it can be performed on the 69 model.  Have you (or anyone else) ever accomplished this mod?
I would not suggest doing the dropped A arm on a 69 Shelby that is not a dedicated track car. For a street car it is over kill IMO. It is  also detrimental to the market value of the car if that counts for anything. The specs for the ride height are in the  69 Shop manuals and 69 body assembly manual I believe.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Given the work you e doing you should already have these books for reference if you don't then you should get them because you are costing yourself time and aggravation.  Unfortunately I don't have a photographic memory and I would have to look up this info the same as you.

Coralsnake

Without 100% stock parts you are not going to be able to do a comparison
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

shelbymann1970

My vert in 1971. My FB in 1984. The FB I don't know if the rear height was correct. It had original springs but not sure on the shock setup but the front is stock height. last 2 pics are of a 500 mile car. I wish I had better pics of it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Special Ed

69 shelbys had special rear springs but front coils were same as mustangs but since shelbys had lightweight fiberglass front ends they weighted less than mustang metal front end and heavy potmetal headlight buckets with 4 headlight system vs 2 on shelbys the 69 shelby fronts seam to set up higher than mustangs due to less weight.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Special Ed on October 27, 2023, 03:41:59 PM
69 shelbys had special rear springs but front coils were same as mustangs but since shelbys had lightweight fiberglass front ends they weighted less than mustang metal front end and heavy potmetal headlight buckets with 4 headlight system vs 2 on shelbys the 69 shelby fronts seam to set up higher than mustangs due to less weight.
I think my picture above of my GT350 vert in 1971 is an excellent example of factory ride height. Car sold new on Sept 30 1970 and the car had a few kilometers on it when this photo were taken. Here is another of  show cars in Brussels in 1969.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

More pics from 69-70. I think it is pretty clear that 69-70s didn't have the sagging a$$ syndrome of 1968s.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

shelbymann1970

more pics. Nothing like vintage pics for reference.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 28, 2023, 05:24:36 AM
More pics from 69-70. I think it is pretty clear that 69-70s didn't have the sagging a$$ syndrome of 1968s.

+ 1  lol !
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert