News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

inspection stickers

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, October 28, 2023, 08:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

1969 GT500, fastback, Dearborn, built mid June 69 - Are there specific locations to place the inspection stickers under the hood?

shelbymann1970

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on October 28, 2023, 08:26:10 AM
1969 GT500, fastback, Dearborn, built mid June 69 - Are there specific locations to place the inspection stickers under the hood?
P is in the DS door jamb upper usually.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

No not specific, but there are general areas where the specific inspectors (there was only a handful) liked to place them.
Typically a group of two or three on the drivers side or end of cowl. on the passenger side (from the middle) of the cowl approximately above the heater motor wire hole.

In 69 each was typically marked so that the inspector that applied them could be identified. The problem is that they were made from uncoated paper so they didn't and were not designed to last more that while in the car plant. Or during the times when the inspector ID number was stamped through the sticker the shadow of his number is visible. Often we are left with just a shadow of where the sticker was and not always clues as to which one was applied there.

Remember not to use the reproductions with the rounded corners. Originals had sharp square corners  ;)

Edited to add more detail and information :)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

trotrof1

On Concours Mustang.Com page 84 top of the page, Jeff posted some pics for sticker placement 69 dearborn cars. Some pics should be helpful.

J_Speegle

As far as the P stickers in the drivers side door jamb during June 69 Dearborn production there were both black and red ones applied there. From what I have I have slightly more red than black.

On some 69 Dearborn cars through out production you can find a black P sticker on the drivers side of the cowl. 

Here are four examples from your cars production period as examples

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 28, 2023, 08:31:40 PM
As far as the P stickers in the drivers side door jamb during June 69 Dearborn production there were both black and red ones applied there. From what I have I have slightly more red than black.

On some 69 Dearborn cars through out production you can find a black P sticker on the drivers side of the cowl. 

Here are four examples from your cars production period as examples

Thanks Jeff. A guy sent me a "stamped" P sticker recently. Do you have pics of any? I'd say the DS cowl for the P is not the norm. Is that a correct statement? The original cars I have seen locally the P(both my 70 Shelbys) were in the upper DS door jamb). The 500 mile 70 GT500 DP car has 2 visible stickers as seen in the pic but not legible.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Prototype

I seem to recall one on our families orange car back 15-20 years ago in the location shown by Jeff.

J_Speegle

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 29, 2023, 07:04:09 AM
Thanks Jeff. A guy sent me a "stamped" P sticker recently. Do you have pics of any?

Not sure what you mean by "stamped" P stickers. in 68-69 not sure how the printing company that supplied these printed them Might be through a contact printing. From what we can guess for other stickers they and others made they were printed on long strips of paper rolled up in small rolls (often carried in a breast pocket)  that the inspectors detached from the roll as they applied them. Originals have a soft edge to the printing on them from the examples I've removed and saved.

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 29, 2023, 07:04:09 AMI'd say the DS cowl for the P is not the norm. Is that a correct statement?

Depends on what production period one is referring to I would say. In this particular survey I found a number of cars that had them on the cowl originally suggesting IMHO that at least one shift had an inspector that like putting the P assigned to him in that location, while others assigned to the same task on other shifts choose the door jamb as they had likely been doing during other production periods. Would say that we find more unrestored examples with that particular P sticker in black or red on the A pillar.

One observation is interesting in the sample as one car had the P in the location but apparently removed it from his nice unrestored car as some point possibly out of comments and pressure from people telling him that it wasn't supposed to be there  ::)

A couple of those examples from a couple of points during the whole production year. Notice the body and or black cowl finish. Likely IMHO same worker different days

shelbymann1970

Quote from: J_Speegle on October 29, 2023, 09:22:47 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 29, 2023, 07:04:09 AM
Thanks Jeff. A guy sent me a "stamped" P sticker recently. Do you have pics of any?

Not sure what you mean by "stamped" P stickers. in 68-69 not sure how the printing company that supplied these printed them Might be through a contact printing. From what we can guess for other stickers they and others made they were printed on long strips of paper rolled up in small rolls (often carried in a breast pocket)  that the inspectors detached from the roll as they applied them. Originals have a soft edge to the printing on them from the examples I've removed and saved.

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on October 29, 2023, 07:04:09 AMI'd say the DS cowl for the P is not the norm. Is that a correct statement?

Depends on what production period one is referring to I would say. In this particular survey I found a number of cars that had them on the cowl originally suggesting IMHO that at least one shift had an inspector that like putting the P assigned to him in that location, while others assigned to the same task on other shifts choose the door jamb as they had likely been doing during other production periods. Would say that we find more unrestored examples with that particular P sticker in black or red on the A pillar.

One observation is interesting in the sample as one car had the P in the location but apparently removed it from his nice unrestored car as some point possibly out of comments and pressure from people telling him that it wasn't supposed to be there  ::)

A couple of those examples from a couple of points during the whole production year. Notice the body and or black cowl finish. Likely IMHO same worker different days

Someone I knew from social media had a few "P" stickers stamped. He sent me one. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I belong to a "few" FB groups so not sure if it was the Concours Mustang page or My 69-70 Shelby Mustang page. At least one shift on May 6, 1969 the inspector put the P in the door jamb. My car was reshot in a weird maroonish RM color back in the 70s and the paint was very transparent and when I bought my car the "P" was preserved by the paint . You could see right through it. Ditto for the Door data sticker which I still have on my original door. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990