Author Topic: Does driving your Shelby or Boss makes other drivers aggressive?  (Read 4242 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
I noticed today when driving my dad's Boss 302 LS downtown to pick him up that a number of drivers were driving extremely aggressive around me particularly tailgating and the like. I've noticed this as well when I'm driving big red. I do not observe this behaviour when behind the wheel of my Towncar. Anyone else encounter this phenomenon?
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Does driving your Shelby or Boss makes other drivers aggressive?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
Yes the faster the car the more idiots. We were driving Rick Titus' Ford GT to a show in Bakersfield and an idiot in a 80s Caddie kept speeding up slowing down sitting in the blind spot etc. after a quick 160mph burst never saw him again. Rick said it was a pain to drive that car anywhere because of the bad driving around it and the near misses with photo takers. He sold it because it wasn't fun to drive. That is why I prefer sleepers. Put a big motor in that Hot Rod Lincoln and go have some fun.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:42:25 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »
I have an FGT as well. It is a fabulous machine and a joy to drive.

It is almost ruined by the swarm of people trying to film you (often coming within inches at freeway + speeds) and those, often in warmed over Subaru STI's, who are honking for a rolling drag race on a crowded freeway.

I think that's why so many have adopted getting on the road before dawn and being at the destination by lunchtime.

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:24:55 PM »
That's what I do. I plan my drives for very early mornings on weekends.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »
LOL, Well...That just happened to me this afternoon. My wife and I was in our '17 GT to go get us a bite. This dam* F250 was blowing his dam* black soot out of his tailpipe all over the place. I was behind him and decided quickly to just go around him. Well, this F-in idiot comes flying up behind me in his POS F250 and was so close to me I couldn't see his bumper. LOL, I done a quick brake check on him and we could here his big clonker tire squeal ;D

I stuck my hand out the window and with my index finger I pointed as to say, "Now-Now", you don't want to mess with me. He came up beside me rolling back and forth and revving his engine.

Well, my circle track racing days took over. We were on a four lane with a center turning lane and HEAVY traffic. I kicked that dam* GT into action, my wife holding on and saying, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU"!!!!

After I threaded the needle several times zig-zagging in and out of traffic at 90mph, the F250 was NOWHERE to be seen.

Finally I had to slow down because of congestion. LOL, the 250 came up beside me and I just made a pistol jesture with my fingers, blowing breath on my index and he didn't say a word!!!!

My wife ask me afterwords, "Well are you happy now"?  I looked at her and said, "Of Course I am!! ;D

shlby66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »

Yes, for some odd reason, many times while driving my '66 Shelby, I've encountered, drivers
   who would follow right on my rear bumper, come along side, accelerate, then back off, trying 
   to get me to race them.

Back in the 60's, I would have usually, obliged them, but today, it's a different time and   
   place.

Today, I just look at these silly rice burners with their "bee-fart" mufflers and just chuckle.
   You want me to race, a car, that the wheels, on my car, are worth, more than his entire car?

Not to say, if there's some open road and little or no traffic....

Doug C.   

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »
I don't put a lot of miles on the Shelby, and when I do it's going to a car show or driving country roads. Most people (so far) have given it a wide berth. My '09 Bullitt, although not nearly as fast as the Shelby, is nice because it's somewhat incognito. No scoop, no stripes, no spoiler. Some (even at car shows) think it's a stripped down V6. I've had a few challenges so far but none were successful. That may be because when it's 'go' time I don't do it halfway. That, and I'm careful not to get in over my head. If you pull up next to me with your FGT I will give you a thumbs up and stay at a respectful distance.

However, driving our SUV, Camry or my '95 F250 is scary enough. There are too many idiots out there. And if Live PD is any indication, many do not even have a license. Or insurance. Or registration. (They do have meth, heroin and pot however). On a recent trip to NC I noticed that a large number of drivers on the Interstates are comfortable following at a one car length distance at 75-85 MPH. Now, there have always been tailgaters, but the number of people (not driving aggressively per se) who are fine with that close of a following distance seems to have grown. I guess they haven't seen the results of multicar accidents where following too closely was the primary cause.

And don't get me started on the distracted driving epidemic. In almost any car I drive I am frequently followed by a young person who is more interested in their phone than driving their car. Too often a young lady with kids in the back seat. Two weeks ago, while returning home in a pickup towing a flat trailer (with working tail lights) we were stopped on a two-lane road in a 55 MPH zone waiting to make a left turn. I was in the passenger seat and just happened to look in the right side mirror to see a car coming up from behind so fast that I knew they weren't going to stop. Before I could even say anything the young woman veered on to the shoulder, through a shallow ditch and over a culvert landing crosswise on the side street to our right. She sat there for a minute and then pulled over and a passenger got out and checked to see what she broke under the front end. I guarantee that she wasn't watching what she was doing. Then I thought about sitting in the same place with the Shelby waiting to make that same turn. Almost makes me want to just hang the car up in my living room  ;D
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

SFM66H

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 11:03:54 AM »
Not trying to hijack this thread (as it is about aggressive driving I know, so please excuse) but I had an unusual experience last weekend in my ‘66 Hertz car.

I was at a red light near Lambeau Field (which is where I first saw my car at a car show 42 years ago). A rusty four door Buick pulled up next to me. I could see in my peripheral vision that the guy was just staring at me. I eventually looked at him, and he said, “Wanna race?” I just smiled and looked away. Then I turned back to him and said, “Do you?” He said, “No.”

The light changed, and we both took off normally.

Reactions to these cars. They vary widely, don’t they?

Just sayin’...
1966 GT350H owner since June 30, 1976

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
no never in our little town everyone is polite, courteous, observe the posted speed limits and we wave to one another when passing by...
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
Back in the day I had a 4wd pickup pull up next to me in my 67 gt500 and do repeated 4wd burnouts...I let him go......Now don’t get me started on the “cal bugs” that wanted to “square off”... ::)

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
, and he said, “Wanna race?”
You could always use the bowl of goldfish on the seat. Always worked for the AMC crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j04v2XrVwg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 06:51:03 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »

It is almost ruined by the swarm of people trying to film you (often coming within inches at freeway + speeds) and those, often in warmed over Subaru STI's, who are honking for a rolling drag race on a crowded freeway.

The filming is the worst!
Just now out buying a pie at the Farm going for a weekend drive.
Some guy in a ricer.
It never ends with the camera...
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Sixx7shelby

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 03:55:45 PM »
Only when I'm out with my Hommie Biggie, pulls and holeshots just seem to happen. I just ignore everyone else or slowdown/pullover to get away from them.
67 GT350 #1482
69 Eliminator 428SCJ
97 Cobra
86 SVO

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »
Many years ago while I was cruising in the 66 GT350, an aggressive turd in what he considered to be a sleeper Camaro of early 70's vintage started playing with his accelerator in the next lane.  I was pretty sure that he was not a regular visitor on this stretch of hill with a few blind spots that hid those unfriendly guys with radar guns.  I gave him a little sound of my car's Paxton whine and heavy exhaust and let off.  He did his macho push toward the hill.  Yup, he was a gotcha by a tag team of gendarmes with their toys. I do not think that he cold see my smirk as I passed.

Challenges similar to this happen to me all the time.  I let them go be stupid and zoom down the road.  I know what I have and they can just guess. 8)

Rickmustang

• SAAC Member
  • "What's behind you, doesn't matter"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 09:36:02 AM »
I had two Harley riders gawking and looking backwards as I was coming up on them in my Ford GT. They bumped each other and almost went down in the left lane next to me. Stupid.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT