News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine build dates

Started by S7MS427, October 28, 2023, 10:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S7MS427

OK, there are two places in which my original block is stamped with assembly date codes: 1) just in front of the left side cylinder head and 2) on the oil pan rail near the block casting number and casting date. Both are 5L3 (November 3, 1965). Would one of these be for the short block and the other for the complete engine assembly? If so, which would be which? If I were to speculate, I'd say that the one on the pan rail would be for the short block making the other for the complete engine. Thanks for any information.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

J_Speegle

Quote from: S7MS427 on October 28, 2023, 10:20:53 PM
OK, there are two places in which my original block is stamped with assembly date codes: 1) just in front of the left side cylinder head and 2) on the oil pan rail near the block casting number and casting date. Both are 5L3 (November 3, 1965). Would one of these be for the short block and the other for the complete engine assembly? If so, which would be which? If I were to speculate, I'd say that the one on the pan rail would be for the short block making the other for the complete engine. Thanks for any information.

Believe the sate stamp on the oil pan rail is the date the block was machined at least that was what I was told from a worker at one of the engine plants.

From what I've collected same time the same day as the engine assemble date other times there is a month or more spread between the two dates.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

S7MS427

Jeff,

Thanks, very interesting. Would it then be safe to say that the stamp out in front of the head is for the final assembly of the complete engine?
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

6R07mi

My Nov 5th SJ scheduled build car has 5L1 Cleveland plant stamped in both locations, so block machined & assembly  = same day ?

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

J_Speegle

Apparently. As mentioned have examples where they were machined then went right into assembly while others waited a while.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge