News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 gt500 front suspension

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, October 30, 2023, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

In 69, did A.O. Smith drop the front front end?  Right now, my center of fender to floor height is 29 1/2".  Is this correct measurement for a Shelby?  It just "appears" to be higher than I would have expected AND it is much higher than my 69 R code Mach.  I also have a 35 years in business mustang restorer who insist that this is what wrong - his words, not mine - with the car.

Coralsnake

AO Smith did not adjust the front end ride height.

What size tires do you have?
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I am running BF Goodrich 245 60R15.  Does the picture appear to have too much clearance above he tire to you?

Special Ed

Early cars had taller e-70-15 then april  new wide low profile f-60-15s .  d-e-f-g-h-l  was the tire tread width and  50-60 and 70 series tires was the sidewall height.  Back in hi-skool  I had big n-50-15 mickey thompson tires with 12'' deep dish cragers on rear and g-60-15 tires on front with 8'' deepdish cragers on front of my jacked up 68 charger that came from factory with e-70-14 tires on 5 '' rims and when i took car to the  front end alignment shop the guy told me this car wasnt designed to be totally jacked up with them big tires and wide rims but iwas KOOL and wanted that car look and about a month later i went back to the shop as car was getting all over the road poor handling and the guy said i had worn out the suspension bushings so had to rebuild the suspension and lower the car lesson learned the hard way AGAIN.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kasearch@ix.netcom.com on October 30, 2023, 02:32:06 PM
I am running BF Goodrich 245 60R15.  Does the picture appear to have too much clearance above he tire to you?
Yes . I can't say exactly how much but a 225 60 15 69 Shelby I have here measures 26.5 by comparison . Yes the 245 tire car will have a different ride height but not that much difference. From previous post about your coil springs it is evident someone has changed them out for what ever reason. Seldom with after market springs can you install them and they be at a perfect height. You typically will have to cut some of the coil to get a ideal height. It seems like someone installed different springs without adjusting them properly . Typically you would cut a little and then install them and check for proper height. You cut only a little at a time because if you cut too much you have ruined the springs for use on your car.  This may take 2 or 3 times to get it right. Your 35 year Mustang restorer surely can help you with the proper way to adjust your ride height . 235 is typically the largest you can run on the front of a 69 Shelby and not have rubbing problems when turning or when turning and going over a bump etc.  That is if the car is sitting at the a typical lower ride height unlike your car now.  Yes the 245 will fit but you run the chance of rubbing . As high as your car is sitting now I can see why the 245 would not rub. Typically no problem running a 245 on the back .Yes I know there will always be that guy who says no problem with the larger 245 tire on the front. Just providing information so that you can make a informed decision.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby