News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Christine facts for those into Stephen King's horror car

Started by deathsled, November 02, 2023, 10:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Little known fact I discovered this evening is that  the movie used the engine sounds from a 1970 Mustang 428 Super Cobra Jet engine to make the 58 Plymouth sound tougher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2eBn1F03pM

I wonder how the pending remake will be able to top the 1983 film.  I have my doubts.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

98SVT - was 06GT

I guess they couldn't find a Hemi.......

Dirty Harry carried a 6" 44 Magnum because they couldn't find a 8 3/8" that fit their budget.

Surprised our own George Watters wasn't the one using Ford sounds.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0915036/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 02, 2023, 10:15:18 PM
I guess they couldn't find a Hemi.......

Dirty Harry carried a 6" 44 Magnum because they couldn't find a 8 3/8" that fit their budget.

Surprised our own George Watters wasn't the one using Ford sounds.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0915036/
That's Hollywood for you.  I just don't get why they don't do a part two Christine.  The two surviving characters are alive today and they could tap John Stockwell and Alexandra Paul to deal with the Christine coming back for them in a second movie in the modern world.  The 1983 movie ending left that option on the table.  To do a remake of the original seems a waste.  And I don't get why Stevie King doesn't write a part two Christine.  I mean there are enough of us petrol heads that would consume a second Christine book like delicious chocolate.  Also to include Stephen King aficionados who are just into plain old horror.  Mistakes are being made.

Side-Oilers

I agree.  A sequel is definitely the best way to do it. Not a remake.

Maybe "Christine" had a "baby" in the '90s...and an angry Neon R/T would be the new iron villain.  Those R/Ts were the hi-po Neons that'd do close to 150 mph.  (147, I seem to recall.)  Seriously.   Rare car, but they did exist.  I tested one.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

98SVT - was 06GT

The title would have to be Cristiana Parte Due and star a Fiat - I guess they'd use a a Ferrari for the sound. Unless the Fiat 500 EV wins the casting call.......

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Side-Oilers on November 02, 2023, 10:37:38 PM
I agree.  A sequel is definitely the best way to do it. Not a remake.

Maybe "Christine" had a "baby" in the '90s...and an angry Neon R/T would be the new iron villain.  Those R/Ts were the hi-po Neons that'd do close to 150 mph.  (147, I seem to recall.)  Seriously.   Rare car, but they did exist.  I tested one.

Not a Omni GLHS? Hatched in Shelby's skunk works and terrorizing Whittier Blvd. Remember where you are.....

deathsled

I would seriously write the story as a shape shifting car.  Christine reborn to become a shape shifting car that can appear as anything the beholder covets most and that would be the lure to bring them to their destruction.  Steven King are you there?  Are you listening?  I should write the story myself.  Not sure how that would work legally though.  Could be problems.  Ach, forget it. I'd rather write my own stories. 

Side-Oilers

Ohhhh, much better!!    GLH-S.  Bad in Black.  Play up the "Goes Like Hell" angle.   
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

shelbydoug

My HS Drivers Ed car was a Ply mouth Fury, so I entirely understand why it was selected as the Devil.

I injured my index finger slamming in that D push button. Almost broke a nail doing it too!

That car had terrible brakes. It would lock them up if someone farted.

I still remember the names of the others in our class.

One was Amerigo, like in Amerigo Vaspucci. He was driving one day and Bombace, the instructer, aka "the Bomb" suddenly told him to turn left across traffic. He hit the brakes suddenly, the car went sideways and he dove under the dash so we suddenly had no driver.

It definitely was the Devil's car.

I was sitting next to Christine, the marching band baton twirler, so I grabbed her for security since we all thought we were going to die. I don't think she appreciated that. Some how her bra got unhooked? I have no idea how?

It was all the work of the Devil.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

first let me start by saying I never liked those plymouths,  when I looked at them they made me "furious"......

Having said that, the 428 S. C. J. engine sounds this is totally fascinating. 

I did not know that, thank you for sharing this fun fact with us.

Surely made my morning
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

crossboss

Hmmm...well, Im quite confidant Columbia Pictures had 'stock' sound tracts of cars in their library. Just because 'some guy' on a You-tube video says it was a 428 CJ makes me question that claim. I know from facts (I seen it personally) the gas station that was used, and ultimately blown up was constructed in Valencia, Ca. that is now a housing tract near Magic Mountain. The shop was in Irwindale, Ca.
And, btw stop with all this re-make Hollywood crap. Leave it alone. The original film is fine, no reason to also do a sequel. My worthless two cents...
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Quote from: crossboss on November 03, 2023, 10:42:52 AM
Hmmm...well, Im quite confidant Columbia Pictures had 'stock' sound tracts of cars in their library. Just because 'some guy' on a You-tube video says it was a 428 CJ makes me question that claim. I know from facts (I seen it personally) the gas station that was used, and ultimately blown up was constructed in Valencia, Ca. that is now a housing tract near Magic Mountain. The shop was in Irwindale, Ca.
And, btw stop with all this re-make Hollywood crap. Leave it alone. The original film is fine, no reason to also do a sequel. My worthless two cents...
I agree. You are right to question the source. Also, I thought the gas station was a model. Did they really blow up a full size station???

FL SAAC

I love the remakes some times good , some times bad

When bad I find them more enjoyable because you critique and laugh. It's always great to laugh out loud !

On this note , we just heard they will be remaking Bullit.

This time with a twist, they are using a 66 Herzt GT350 and it will be called " That Bullit Hertz".....get it .... "That Bullit Hertz"....LMAO  !

I have all UNGOLD cars

deathsled

Quote from: FL SAAC on November 03, 2023, 11:13:59 AM

When bad I find them more enjoyable because you critique and laugh. It's always great to laugh out loud !

This time with a twist, they are using a 66 Herzt GT350 and it will be called " That Bullit Hertz".....get it .... "That Bullit Hertz"....LMAO  !
Make sure that car doesn't get taken out by some weird Florida weather phenomenon. Be prepared to bug out with it (and the others of course) and head to higher ground.

FL SAAC

Quote from: deathsled on November 03, 2023, 11:20:13 AM
Quote from: FL SAAC on November 03, 2023, 11:13:59 AM

Make sure that car doesn't get taken out by some weird Florida weather phenomenon.
Be prepared to bug out with it (and the others of course) and head to higher ground.

Not worried at all about a weather phenomenon at all.

Some day when you have time or we run into each other and are have a saspirilla fountain soda,  I shall recant what was behind the ownership of our new acquired transportation.

Betcha one USA dollar ( cash money ) that the great majority here would not have purchased it knowing its past owners history.....

I have all UNGOLD cars