News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Exhaust tips

Started by dlhepic, November 03, 2023, 06:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlhepic

I have late 67,and looking for nos exhaust tips. If I found a pair ,How would I know if they are original ,nos ,or repo?
What is the part number and decisions?

JD

Here is some more to look at, early version was two-piece, later one piece
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

I remember around 1972-3, there was discussion that there were originals that were stainless steel and they were sought out because Ford Service Parts were chromed steel.

I never really got into it since I was working on my first Shelby, my 68 GT350.

That information was stemming from Jack Jahoda who had several 67's go through his shop at American Auto Body in Spring Valley.

I remember this discussion since I witnessed part of it between he and Gary German.
Between the two of them there were six or seven 67s go through his shop.

Granted this is an un-scientific observation to make simply since there are too many unknowns BUT I don't remember ANY aftermarket stainless tips being offered at that time but stainless non-original tips installed by previous owners can not be ruled out as a possibility.

I have an old set here that I will test later for magnetic qualities but I would presume that they are chromed steel at this point. They are not showing any corrosion and came off of a running car.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 03, 2023, 09:51:08 AM
I remember around 1972-3, there was discussion that there were originals that were stainless steel and they were sought out because Ford Service Parts were chromed steel.

That information was stemming from Jack Jahoda who had several 67's go through his shop at American Auto Body in Spring Valley.

I remember this discussion since I witnessed part of it between he and Gary German.
There were no regular production stainless steel tips for 67 Shelby's.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 03, 2023, 09:54:51 AM

I respect your opinion and that may in fact be so but I can not just arbitrarily dismiss that at this point. There was much speculation on many items back then and much "fact" was based upon what Ford delivered as a Service Part.

For instance, my '68 GT350 tips were delivered stamped with S8MS part numbers in them. What was left of my originals did not show that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: dlhepic on November 03, 2023, 06:25:04 AM
I have late 67,and looking for nos exhaust tips. If I found a pair ,How would I know if they are original ,nos ,or repo?
What is the part number and decisions?
The decision is don't waste your time and just get a pair of the one piece later style tips from Scott Fuller Reproductions   https://www.scottfullerreproductions.com . With my concours judging cap on it is easy for me to say that they are the best on the market and comparable to the design of the originals in every way. If you can find some genuine tips in the box they will typically cost more and the chrome will have various amounts of box wear.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 03, 2023, 10:01:33 AM

I respect your opinion and that may in fact be so but I can not just arbitrarily dismiss that at this point. There was much speculation on many items back then and much "fact" was based upon what Ford delivered as a Service Part.

For instance, my '68 GT350 tips were delivered stamped with S8MS part numbers in them. What was left of my originals did not show that.
Much has been learn and many urban legends have been disproved with documentation and cumulative observations over the last 40 years since original assemblyline look restorations started to take hold. The difference between assemblyline parts and most service replacement parts and their evolution is one example of that.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on November 03, 2023, 10:10:17 AM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 03, 2023, 10:01:33 AM

Much has been learn and many urban legends have been disproved with documentation and cumulative observations over the last 40 years since original assemblyline look restorations started to take hold. The difference between assemblyline parts and most service replacement parts and their evolution is one example of that.

I agree. What is important here though is that "standardization" of what is "EXPECTED" to be seen as original by continuous Concourse Judging.

In most cases that is what the poster is looking for.

In my view, there still are slight variations in some items that can not be proven as originally installed on these cars, so they are generally dismissed but for the purpose of giving "restorers a guide" as to what will be accepted as original.

I have no argument with that for the purpose of standardization even though it is not entirely accurate.

Remember, these question come up really because there is no printed guide book of what is correct. That is often what the OP is looking for in order to make a "100% correct car"? Is there such a thing?  ;)

68 GT350 Lives Matter!