News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'70 Steering Box Rebuild

Started by Survivor, November 03, 2023, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Survivor

Hey All: does anyone have a source who rebuilds original steering boxes for a '70 350 4spd.  Or, who might have an nos for sale.
I can email a pic. of the tag off our unit if that helps the cause.  Thx.

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Survivor on November 03, 2023, 09:06:40 AM
Hey All: does anyone have a source who rebuilds original steering boxes for a '70 350 4spd.  Or, who might have an nos for sale.
I can email a pic. of the tag off our unit if that helps the cause.  Thx.
Have your original restored.That is what the vast majority of professional restores do. The steering box is typically hard to find NOS and the associated price will most likely be much higher then a rebuild. I second suggesting Dan at Chockostang.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Survivor

Thank you gentlemen and I agree on rebuilding the original which is in the car.   

Royce Peterson

Stewart at Snake Oyl used to be the man but he has since decided to concentrate on seat belts and does not do steering boxes any more.

Roger Rode does them too but I have not found anyone who does a better job of rebuilding your existing box. Dan does it quickly and well, his prices are reasonable too.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Special Ed

Did u try adjusting the top stud and nut (sector shaft i think its called) as thats where the play is . I would try that first as its much easier to do on a samll block than a big block unless it a high mileage car small blocks dont wear out like a big block with the extra front end weight and wear has to do with running wide tires in the front end also there is adjustment on the p/s control valve by removing the spool cap and adjusting the nut on the spring.