News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

SAAC and the 67 Shelby Research group

Started by daltondavid, November 03, 2023, 05:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daltondavid

I consider SAAC to be the ultimate authority on the cars manufactured from 1962-70. recently I noticed a fellow trying to anoint a 67 Mustang drag car that has had every bit of sheet metal from the floor and dash forward cut out. and now the owner is claiming it is a Shelby with a real vin because the 67 Shelby Research group told him it is. or so he claims in his online videos. personally I think it taints the respectability of the 67 Shelby Research group to get behind such a Frankenstein without SAAC recognizing the car as REAL. not to mention the owners credibility as well. do they feel it makes it real if you make videos and slap each other on the back with praise about solving the mystery and giving the car a VIN themselves? I say "BULLSHIT" and this is exactly the kind of thing the Registry was created to prevent from happening. yet here it is happening for all the world to see. the car is interesting and unique as a Drag car. it became a Drag car at some point because the owner at that time wanted to do just that. if it was or was not a Shelby has not and cannot be proven with what is left of the car. people need to look at their Moral compass and realize what is right and what is wrong. clearly trying to pawn this car off as a Shelby is wrong. and anybody that is going along with it for fame or fortune is equally wrong as well.
Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM

Coralsnake

I agree without any paperwork, numbers or tags, rebuilding this car as a Shelby should not be done. Even if every conclusion is correct. It sets a poor precedent. Just my opinion.

The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

daltondavid

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 03, 2023, 06:01:41 PM
I agree without any paperwork, numbers or tags, rebuilding this car as a Shelby should not be done. Even if every conclusion is correct. It sets a poor precedent. Just my opinion.
your opinion weighs heavy my friend. whoever don't like it can "Get ya some of that!"

98SVT - was 06GT

I think the research group has some great paperwork. Where it came from I don't know. Their "blessing of cars" without VIN numbers certainly does put their credibility into question. They should state only what they can DOCUMENT - personal opinion is theirs and when "I believe this is car 1234" gets repeated by a greedy owner who pitches opinion as fact citing the experts inspection and partially quoting him as stating "this is car 1234" a problem arises.
The recent video of an early 67 that went to Ford is a prime example of wishful thinking. Many of the parts on it were produced after it had been sold by Ford.
I always heard since I was a little kid there was one holy grail - yet Dennis Collins seems to find one weekly.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

A true Shelby expert should know better then attempt to contrive a hoax like this? I have seen others that were once highly respected in the past become somehow corrupted and turn to creating conspiracy theories to confuse the criticisms they know that surely will follow. It seems to have become a common occurrence?

What is to be gained here is nothing. At best this is going to be just an air car. At worst, the demigod attempting to create it will be crucified.

Why? No one can know for sure on what has made them turn to the dark side but what we know is that someone or someones are spinning a story in their favor that they know is totally fictitious.

I personally am not worrying much about the outcome. All I can say at this point is that it is ridiculous to attempt to make these remains into something that it highly likely never was.

Wishing isn't going to make it true. Hope isn't a plan.

I'm not worried because it isn't me that is going to have their reputation torn to shreds and probably be disgraced within the community and treated as a leper afterwards. I'm not Jesus and am not here to save lepers that in this case will bring the retaliation upon themselves.

No one in their right mind would attempt to pull off a fraud like this. Maybe that's the problem? They have lost their right mind?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on November 03, 2023, 07:40:16 PMNo one in their right mind would attempt to pull off a fraud like this. Maybe that's the problem? They have lost their right mind?

Ego and greed are big motivators.......
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

daltondavid

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on November 03, 2023, 07:55:53 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on November 03, 2023, 07:40:16 PMNo one in their right mind would attempt to pull off a fraud like this. Maybe that's the problem? They have lost their right mind?

Ego and greed are big motivators.......
I agree with that. I also see it as puppies trying to come off the porch and its time the Big dog puts them back in their place. "If you dont stand for something, you'll fall for anything!" A wise man would keep that car as found. Tell all the stories to any fool that will listen. Maybe even take the car to some vintage drags and have a good time with it. But to attempt to rebuild a car that once existed and attempt to pass it off as real just because the 67 Research group says so!? Means nothing in the real world. No matter how many times he says he solved the mystery. Shaggy and Scooby Doo can see right through this fraud. If SAAC says it ain't so, it ain't So! Thats it thats all.

Side-Oilers

Who/what is/are the '67 Shelby Research Group? 

Where'd they get their Shelby Diplomas? 

Were they Signed by CS's autopen, last week?

Who can enlighten me?
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Coralsnake

shelbydoug

I was once told here to basically shut up.

Quote: "Shelbydoug. You are not as influential as you think you are."

I think that applies here also. Not to me, but to others assuming authority known to be undefendable.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6303.msg53614#msg53614

Best I can tell heres what was left of the car:

Quarter panels
Transition panel over rear axle
Rear wheelhouses
Rear frame rails
Trunk floor
Rockers
Roof
A pillars
Taillight harness
Tail light panel (modified)
Roll bar (modified)

Bolt on parts

I guess the question is

Is this enough to make a positive ID and should this be rebuilt?

shelbydoug

I think in fairness to all concerned, the final completed car needs to waited for?

Some of the discussion is about what the car "could be" but not necessarily is. Part of that discussion is just an analysis of what is known and document-able.

There have been and still are "changelings" that have assumed others identities. In the past some have actually appeared here and their masquerade aggressively promoted as genuine by current owners AND in one case, by a "retired" former law enforcement official.

That generally in the past hasn't been a fraud issue until the current owners attempt to sell it and examination of the pedigree ensues.

That is when the villagers gather with torches and pitch forks to oust the Warlock. It is still a little early for that? Not to suggest that one shouldn't keep the pitchforks sharp and ready? ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

daltondavid

Given the fact that the owner has discussed in his video about "Returning the dragster to it's former glory as an original Factory Paxton car!" and that "They have solved the mystery about this car" leads one to believe that is his full intentions. I also wonder why he himself has never contacted SAAC about the car? I think that is part of what bothers me about the whole matter. he knew what the response would be. so instead, he ran to the 67 research gang for their Blessing. in exchange for some You Tube exposure, they took the bait, hook, line and sinker. in doing so they have put their credibility in to serious question. the owner is playing it safe as he can always claim "They told me it was this car with this Shelby number and these options!" and the 67 Research group is left holding the flaming bag of Dog shit while he rubs Petroleum Primate after shave on his rosy cheeks hoping it covers up the stench created by the burning bag of shit he lit up.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Side-Oilers

Doug: 

I'm surmising that you might be referring to our old pal Eight Barrel/The Going Thing. 

Or, am I not hunting for the right Easter egg? 

Are there other Bunny-layers (fakers) out there? 
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model