News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

King of the Mountain 1981

Started by deathsled, November 04, 2023, 01:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: deathsled on November 04, 2023, 03:42:50 PMPainful for me to read that you did not buy the car particularly given the asking price.  Speedsters today...well they are astronomical to acquire one.
Real ones yes but not the fiberglass body on a VW pan ones..... I had to pass on a Mercedes Gullwing for $5000. My wife really wanted it too - I told her it wasn't in the budget with a kid on the way and if she wanted a Mercedes she better name our daughter that.

The 911 photos are one of Simpson's Chevy V8 cars. Lynn Park was in the passenger seat. Rod was almost killed in the accident and has spent his life dealing with problems to this day. Now COCOA has an ambulance at the track events. Rod's wife was insisting that he be taken to LA after he was stabilized but then found out he was being tended by one of the top neurologists in the country that also taught at UCLA.

Went to Mulholland a few times but on my side of the world we drove Turnbull Canyon. It also had it's crashes. Did anyone ever confirm the rumors that LAPD hired a pro driver the catch canyon runners were true?

On July 6th, 1971, Steve Saleen learns that racing is for the track when he drives his Shelby GT350 off a cliff in Turnbull Canyon in Whittier, California. Steve spends months recovering from his injuries. - BTW it had a Randy Gillis engine
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

OK, thanks guys for the additional info on the PORCHEV crash. I was not there in 1978..but I've seen so many cars crash at turns 8-9 that they all blend.  I certainly would've remember one that bad, however,  especially because Lynn was involved.  I've definitely heard about it numerous times.

Brett. Where'd you dig up that 1971 photo of Saleen's crash? Were you there?

Yep, Turnbull.  Still a popular hot spot.

Funny rumor about the pro-driver cop.  Even if Parnelli was driving a standard-issue 1970s cop car, he wouldn't have likely caught the fastest canyon racers.  Would've been fun to watch, though!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model