News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Identifying "hand laid" 1968 fiberglass

Started by Coralsnake, November 06, 2023, 06:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Original "hand laid" fiberglass was used on very early 1968 Shelbys.  Probably only cars built before 15 December.

Here are some tips on identifying it:

Usually a greenish color. Mounting studs are in square blocks that are bonded with a red glue. The same glue used on GT500 KR hoods. They also have a rough textured back. The most common hand laid part is the lower valence. Most likely AOSmith had not completed the mold and was forced to use several hundred of these parts.

If you dont see these features, you are dealing with a reproduction.
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

Bill

On a certain, early 68 prototype I inspected at Volo back in the mid 1990's, I remember the backs a little rougher on the front end then what your attached picture shows. Had a ton of Polaroid pictures I took at that time, but sadly, lost them in a house fire back in the late 90's.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

The parts are not truly "hand laid". They are made using the chopper gun process. True hand laid is made using sheets of mat glass and a top piece of glass cloth to give a smoother surface and one that can be squeegeed to remove excess glass. In chopper gun work there is a spool of glass that gets chopped up in the gun and sprayed with the resin into the mold. It has a much higher content of resin than hand laid and often cloth is laid over the chop to give a nicer surface and squeegee out excess resin (reducing weight). Since the chopper gun glass is sprayed on it has an uneven look and thickness where the handlaid is laid up in even layers it has a consistent thickness.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Coralsnake

Factually correct

AOSmith did actually refer to them as "hand laid"
The original Influencer, check out www.thecoralsnake.com

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Coralsnake on November 06, 2023, 02:01:33 PM
Factually correct

AOSmith did actually refer to them as "hand laid"
Most big shops did that. It was faster to spray in the glass and resin substrate than cutting and soaking individual pieces of mat to make the layup. Small/limited production places didn't spend the money for the gun and associated system expenses and ended up with a true hand laminated product.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

gt350shelb

this is center of lower valance from my car  more glass mat  than chop gun method 
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .