News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 gt500 NOS air cleaner

Started by eragtforty, November 14, 2023, 02:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eragtforty

Selling for friend 1967 GT500 air cleaner. He is asking 4500 but is open to offers

Bob Gaines

That is the sand cast style base and (die cast lid) .Sand cast base is for early production GT500's and die cast lid for later .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

The lid looks like the later ones to me as to the 2 missing dots for the lid screws and the style of the COBRA letters is the later one or do I see it wrong?
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

430dragpack

Quote from: eragtforty on November 14, 2023, 02:49:43 PM
Selling for friend 1967 GT500 air cleaner. He is asking 4500 but is open to offers

Eragtforty,

Can you please post a picture of the bottom side of the lid?

430dragpack

Thank you!  Interesting, early sand cast base with later injection mold lid. 

Bob Gaines

Good catch on lid . Missed that on my small phone screen. I have not seen a sand cast base with a diecast lid before in a survior type situation. Has anyone else? Logically when the diecast process went on line which was the preferred process for higher production and cost savings both lid and base would be the new process.it is hard to say if parts were boxed together to get rid of old inventory or if switched out in the last 50+ years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

eragtforty

Update:  This lid was purchased new by the owner,  This is exactly how it was boxed by Ford,   He is looking for offers if anyone is interested  His (Jim) pnone number is 928-240=8457

Bob Gaines

Quote from: eragtforty on December 01, 2023, 04:28:58 PM
Update:  This lid was purchased new by the owner,  This is exactly how it was boxed by Ford,   He is looking for offers if anyone is interested  His (Jim) pnone number is 928-240=8457
It may be the way it was purchased by owner but that does not mean that is the way it came on the cars from the factory . Sand cast with sand cast and diecast with diecast. Extra ordinary claims require extra ordinary proof . At least as it pertains to assemblyline .

TA Coupe

This is the early style,  correct?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: TA Coupe on December 01, 2023, 08:18:25 PM
This is the early style,  correct?

Roy
Yes the style and shape of the Cobra letters along with the dimples for the wing nuts in your picture are all things that the top side is supposed to look like on a factory sandcast lid. FYI many of the later sand cast lids prior to the changeover to the diecast also had the black wrinkle paint .

eragtforty

Interesting information, I will pass it on to the owner.  I was only providing what information that was provided.  We just pulled his car out of a 27 year storage and this was in the trunk.  He says he purchased for his 67 and never used so I was assuming it's legit, did not mean to mislead anyone.  Thanks for the feedback

gt350shelb

the lid looks like the one on my early 68 / no wrinkle paint
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

I have both types. Neither one has the dimples for the wing nuts. Apparently there are more then those two types "originally" as well?

As far as a Ford Service Part not matching a production line part, why should that surprise anyone at all?

I have seen more heated arguments over those two parts in particular then maybe any other "Shelby" parts by experienced enthusiasts. If you want to use your beliefs as a point of price negotiation, that's your play, other then that, either buy it or watch it go by? There are more important things in life then dimples to stress over?

Standardization as to what is "expected" to be on the car for Concourse accuracy is actually a valuable statute to consider but part of the fascination with these cars is the seemingly endless variation in minute details which certainly Ford didn't even care about.

May YOUR trip be a pleasant one? It certainly isn't going to be a boring one. 8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!