News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SW 240A fuel pumps

Started by gt350bp, November 15, 2023, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

Can't find the recommended inline fuse amperage for a SW 240A fuel pump in the spec and installation sheets I have. Can anyone verify the amperage?

In addition, is there any good period correct photos of an original R-Model SW 240A installation that can be shared?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp 

pbf777

The literature from S.W. stated that "current flow for the pump #240A was not in excess of 8 amps. for 6V applications and 4 amps. for 12V applications" (#240C was for 24V).  As far as to what amperage fuse should be used is often dictated by the circuit as a whole, not so much the appliances plugged in, though one generally sizes the circuits' capacity for the intention; so in this case I would probably suggest something like a 15 amp circuit application to provide adequate excess capacity so as to account for voltage continuity and over-amp instance requirements.   ;)

Scott.

B.T.W.: Note that the #240A is the pump intended for "stand-alone" installations, and that the #240D is the pump intended as a "booster-pump" installation to the mechanical pump.  :) 

Bob Gaines

The typical R model set ups that I have seen on vintage survivor type race cars have had two 240 A pumps mounted tandem in the trunk on a purpose built bracket This goes for Comp Cobras along with GT350.  I will look for a vintage B+W picture in my files of just such a setup in a GT350 .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM5S000

Bob,

I took the dimensions from 5R098 and replicated it. I posted pics on the forum 1.0 before the crash. I'll dig them up and repost them.

Cheers,
~Earl J

SFM5S000

I found them. The last pic is in my trunk, mounted but now disconnected.

Cheers,
~Earl J

SFM5S000

Let me try that again.

~E

kram350

Thought some might be interested in this picture of twin SW pumps in a Mustang/GT350? From an Aeroquip flyer, Bulletin 5186. No year I can find.

gt350bp

Pretty sure the GT 350R's left the factory with a single SW 240A attached to the L.H. trunk hinge support. Only picture that somewhat shows this is in the 65 Registry. (I think that photo was originally in the May 65 Road and Track article on the 65 Shelby's.) Hoping there is a period correct photo in another magazine or maybe even a Shelby memo or sketch that would be a little more detailed.

Don
gt350bp

rockhouse66

This is the former Harris Conner R-Model.  I don't know the number but you guys do.

shelbydoug

There is a picture of the dual set up in the Comstock R that Aeroquip printed.

It shows the mounting that was used in that car.

I remember showing that brochure to someone visiting, now I can't find it. That SOB!

Those pumps HAVE to be the nosiest ever made by anyone. They sound like cement mixers when they are on. Of course if you run them with open car race car exhausts they just fade into the noise cloud.

Those pumps and the Detroit Locker both had to go. I could never tell if something was wrong or broken with the car running those two together?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbydoug

Quote from: kram350 on November 18, 2023, 09:35:45 PM
Thought some might be interested in this picture of twin SW pumps in a Mustang/GT350? From an Aeroquip flyer, Bulletin 5186. No year I can find.

AH! So you are the one who "borrowed it!"
68 GT350 Lives Matter!